PDA

View Full Version : Control weather - unbearable heat, torrential rain and storm

stenver
2021-02-19, 08:02 AM
So my players are about to enter into naval combat with their flying airships. The prey they are hunting is on a seafaring ship and will try to protect himself with Control Weather spell to negate players the tactical advantage of multiple airships.

So how would, in real life, in the middle of the sea, weather look like that's stormy, unbearably hot and has torrential rain?

What do you feel would be the worst weather condition for flying full-metal airships that are optimised to withstand cold temperature, if you are travelling on a sea-faring wooden ship? You also have an ancient golden dragon on your side.

Unoriginal
2021-02-19, 08:11 AM
So my players are about to enter into naval combat with their flying airships. The prey they are hunting is on a seafaring ship and will try to protect himself with Control Weather spell to negate players the tactical advantage of multiple airships.

So how would, in real life, in the middle of the sea, weather look like that's stormy, unbearably hot and has torrential rain?

What do you feel would be the worst weather condition for flying full-metal airships that are optimised to withstand cold temperature, if you are travelling on a sea-faring wooden ship? You also have an ancient golden dragon on your side.

A lightning storm seems like the best way to handle full metal airships, on top of the clouds hiding the dragon for hit-and-runs.

Or if the dragon is willing, they could chop of their ship's mast to be even less of a target for lightnings and have the dragon push/pull them instead.

With frequent enough lightnings the airships won't be able to pursue unless they want to fry.

If lightning storm isn't an option, making things unbearably hot would affect the crew that's trapped in a metal box meant to keep heat in much more than the crew on a wooden, open ship. And the resulting fog would help hiding.

stenver
2021-02-19, 08:23 AM
Great thoughts!

How does lightning storm affect real modern metal ships?

Any ideas how unbearably hot storm on a sea would look visually? Any youtube videos of amazing events in real nature? I didn't find any ..

Unoriginal
2021-02-19, 08:35 AM
Great thoughts!

According to this: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-happens-when-lightni/

Most modern aircrafts are generally safe from lightning, but it's because they're specifically engineered and extensively tested to be, which isn't likely to be the case for the ones discussed here.

Same article also notes : "The growing class of kit-built composite aircraft also raises some concerns. Because the FAA considers owner-assembled, kit-built aircraft "experimental," they are not subject to lightning protection regulations. Many kit-built planes are made of fiberglass or graphite-reinforced composites. At LTI we routinely test protected fiberglass and composite panels with simulated lightning currents. The results of these tests show that lightning can damage inadequately protected composites. Pilots of unprotected fiberglass or composite aircraft should not fly anywhere near a lightning storm or in other types of clouds, because nonthunderstorm clouds may contain sufficient electric charge to produce lightning."

TigerT20
2021-02-20, 12:16 PM
Great thoughts!

Any ideas how unbearably hot storm on a sea would look visually? Any youtube videos of amazing events in real nature? I didn't find any ..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's commonly referred to as a hurricaine.