PDA

View Full Version : Which magic items are good for a Mounted Combatant?

CheddarChampion
2021-02-19, 11:23 AM
Using Xanathar's downtime rules, which magic items should a PC with Mounted Combatant pick up in order to be better at mounted combat?

The most obvious ones include Saddle of the Cavalier, Horseshoes of a Zephyr, and Horseshoes of Speed. Military Saddle helps too, if you can't afford much. But what else is there? Which magic items are suprisingly useful for a PC on a horse?

--------------------------------------

Specifics for me:
I'm a Conquest Paladin with the Mounted Combatant feat in a game where the PCs are all members of The Adventurer's Guild. One of our members is a Moon Druid who I hope to team up with at some point.

After every adventure we all get downtime. We have a rotating DM setup, so there's plenty of between-adventures downtime to use. We're using Xanathar's rules for downtime and usually have one week to use between adventures. The only magic item that seems to be off the table is Adamantine Armor.

I currently have 800 gp. What should I buy?

N810
2021-02-19, 11:24 AM
Any kind of magic lance. :/

LumenPlacidum
2021-02-19, 11:34 AM
Something to make your mount bigger. Or, reward such a player with a more exotic, sexy mount.

Edit: Sorry, I figured the stuff below the ------------ line was your signature, not a clarification on the post. My comment isn't super-relevant, then.

Unoriginal
2021-02-19, 12:48 PM
Using Xanathar's downtime rules, which magic items should a PC with Mounted Combatant pick up in order to be better at mounted combat?

The most obvious ones include Saddle of the Cavalier, Horseshoes of a Zephyr, and Horseshoes of Speed. Military Saddle helps too, if you can't afford much. But what else is there? Which magic items are suprisingly useful for a PC on a horse?

--------------------------------------

Specifics for me:
I'm a Conquest Paladin with the Mounted Combatant feat in a game where the PCs are all members of The Adventurer's Guild. One of our members is a Moon Druid who I hope to team up with at some point.

After every adventure we all get downtime. We have a rotating DM setup, so there's plenty of between-adventures downtime to use. We're using Xanathar's rules for downtime and usually have one week to use between adventures. The only magic item that seems to be off the table is Adamantine Armor.

I currently have 800 gp. What should I buy?

Do you use regular mounts, or Find Steed mounts?

CheddarChampion
2021-02-19, 02:49 PM
Do you use regular mounts, or Find Steed mounts?

Find Steed. I (level 5) currently have a warhorse. I plan to upgrade to a pegasus when and if I get to level 13.

Unoriginal
2021-02-19, 03:28 PM
Find Steed. I (level 5) currently have a warhorse. I plan to upgrade to a pegasus when and if I get to level 13.

If you go for a Nightmare instead (not sure if possible at your table), there are a couple magic items that help with that specifically, IIRC.