PDA

View Full Version : how to build "the very model of a modern major general"?

Rfkannen
2021-02-19, 01:20 PM
I have not actually watched Pirates of Penzance, but I love the modern major general's song. A brief summary, it's about an extremely educated major general with excellent knowledge of math, biology, and history. However, he isn't even sure what a gun looks like because none of his education is about the military or combat.

I was also reading through the RPG symbaroum, which has the officer class, which I love. Symbaroum is based in the real world, 18th-century Sweden, and the officer class lets you play a currently on leave military officer. They are one of the best classes with both a saber and a gun (which is not how I would picture this character). However, their main power lies in being the only class that can start as upper class, a knowledge of history, intimidation, and good connections to the state.

I was thinking how fun it would be to play a character like these two archetypes in a dnd campaign. But then I realized that I would have no idea how to build them; since 5e characters are supposed to be pretty combat-focused, and 5e doesn't have an in-depth knowledge system.

How would you build "the very model of a modern major general"?

Eldan
2021-02-19, 01:23 PM
I'd go bard and just maximize the amounts of skills you have. For spells, anything that helps with terrain, scouting, information gathering or buffing, but not directly combat. Reflavour your bardic music and inspiration as giving orders to your men.

No brains
2021-02-19, 03:27 PM
You can optionally take a few levels of Artificer so you can add the updated verse from Freeman's Mind.

Darth Credence
2021-02-19, 04:14 PM
First, thanks for the earworm:smalltongue:

Now, for the question. I think bard or rogue, with a focus on getting as many skills as possible. I'm leaning to college of lore bard, because that seems to work with the general idea, both of what he knows and that he is known for singing and his general knowledge of music. I'd probably go with a race (likely human) that can take the prodigy feat and grab that first, then skilled, then skill expert, then keen mind, then linguist.

I think I would use my expertise on history, nature, and arcana first, then medicine and religion. Finally, I'd focus spells on info gathering types, along with a few others. I'd definitely get comprehend languages, identify, and speak with animals for level 1 spells, and absolutely legend lore as soon as I could. Other spells, I don't have many definite choices, I would just have to figure out which ones seemed to work as I went up levels.

Lycurgon
2021-02-20, 12:56 AM
I was also reading through the RPG symbaroum, which has the officer class, which I love. Symbaroum is based in the real world, 18th-century Sweden, and the officer class lets you play a currently on leave military officer. They are one of the best classes with both a saber and a gun (which is not how I would picture this character). However, their main power lies in being the only class that can start as upper class, a knowledge of history, intimidation, and good connections to the state.

I don't know what game you have been reading and whatever it is, it sounds interesting, but it is not Symbaroum. Symbaroum is a dark fantasy game set in a fantasy setting in the nation of Ambria and the forest region of Davokar. It is made by Swedish designers but it is not set in real world Sweden. It is not in the 18th century.

Rfkannen
2021-02-20, 01:00 AM
I don't know what game you have been reading and whatever it is, it sounds interesting, but it is not Symbaroum. Symbaroum is a dark fantasy game set in a fantasy setting in the nation of Ambria and the forest region of Davokar. It is made by Swedish designers but it is not set in real world Sweden. It is not in the 18th century.

I will admit I was grossly simplifying lol. Also I Haven't looked at the game since the day it arrived, 8 days ago. I am currently running 5e, ose, and planning to run pathfinder 2e, symbaroum is on my "I want to play it someday" list. Mostly bought it for that awesome art!

but I thought that it said that the real world section of it was 18th century sweden? I flipped through the adventure book and I swear I kept recognizing real world places.