PDA

View Full Version : Spells Kown Question

Rowanomicon
2007-11-08, 03:41 PM
OK So there's several kinds of casters as far as spells known:

1) Know a certain amount and can learn infinitely more (Wizards)

2) Automatically know all on their list (Cleric)

3) Know a fixed ammount (Sorcerer, Favoured Soul)

So here's my question. If you take a level in a class that uses the same spell list as you and knows more can you use those known spells for your spontaneous casting?

To clear that up:

If a character is Cleric 1 / Favoured Soul X can they use their Favoured Soul per day casting with any Cleric spell they know (ie. all of them)?

Now, my gut tells me no, but I don't remember and rules saying that. Also I realized that gimping yourself by one caster level might actually mean that this isn't such an uber idea.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-08, 03:45 PM
So here's my question. If you take a level in a class that uses the same spell list as you and knows more can you use those known spells for your spontaneous casting?

Short answer: No.

Rowanomicon
2007-11-08, 03:52 PM
But why? Where's the rule that says so?

Like I said, my guy says no. This is because I believe casting with different caster classes should be kept separate.

The important word in that last sentence is believe.

I just wanted someone to show me a rule that backed up my gut (or tell me that it was indeed possible).

On a note unrelated to whether or not it's possible I don't actually feel that it's that uber (if it were possible) because you'd be casting at a level less than normal.

Jasdoif
2007-11-08, 03:55 PM
But why? Where's the rule that says so?Every spellcasting class has its own spellcasting progression. Your spells known, spells per day, caster level, etc.; are separate between classes.

Dhavaer
2007-11-08, 04:06 PM
But why? Where's the rule that says so?

While it doesn't specifically say no to it, the Ultimate Magus' Expanded Knowledge feature would be useless if Sorcerer's could use Wizard spells known.

Chronos
2007-11-08, 04:17 PM
If you're casting a spell as a Favored Soul, you use one of your Favored Soul slots, and it has to be a spell you know as a Favored Soul. If you're casting a spell as a Cleric, then you use one of your Cleric slots, and it has to be a spell you know as a Cleric (which is presumably all cleric spells of low enough level).

Karsh
2007-11-08, 04:26 PM
No, you can't:

Spells

The character gains spells from all of his or her spellcasting classes and keeps a separate spell list for each class. If a spell’s effect is based on the class level of the caster, the player must keep track of which class’s spell list the character is casting the spell from.

Relevant portion bolded. It's in the SRD under Multiclass Characters.

cupkeyk
2007-11-08, 04:40 PM
Spells: The character gains spells from all of his or her spellcasting classes and keeps a separate spell list for each class. If a spell’s effect is based on the class level of the caster, the player must keep track of which class’s spell list the character is casting the spell from. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/classes.html)

So it is in the SRD. It in the PHB in the chapter about classes.

EDIT: ninja!

Rowanomicon
2007-11-08, 08:32 PM
Thankee Kahndly