PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Warlock multiclass (max lvl either 11 or 14)

.::Pr0 n00b::.
2021-02-20, 06:56 AM
Hello fellow dnd players.

So our group is finally starting to play dnd again and im thinking of Oath of Vengeance Paladin/ kraken Warlock.

So what is the best lvl balance? 6 paladin is a must?

Also what feats are the best for this combo?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-20, 12:33 PM
I'd go Warlock 5 and the rest in Paladin, but take Paladin at 1st for heavy armor proficiency, and probably get Paladin 5 before Warlock 3. Invocations should be Agonizing Blast, Improved Pact Weapon, and Eldritch Smite.

Take Polearm Master and Great Weapon Master. Probably go Half-Elf and also take Elven Accuracy. You can use Vow of Enmity with GWM against the strongest opponent, or use a 1st level Paladin spell slot to Eldritch Smite on your first attack which knocks them prone, then GWM for the rest of your attacks. Remember that your bonus action attack from PAM can also use GWM. Granted that's a lot of feats so it won't leave much room for ASIs, but you can skip PAM and find another way to spend your bonus actions. Whenever you get a critical hit use a smite with one of your highest level spell slots since those dice are also doubled, and you can use a Paladin smite and an Eldritch Smite on the same attack, just pay a spell slot for each of them.

LordNibbler
2021-02-20, 01:41 PM
If you’re not going the Hexblade route (for Cha as your attack stat), there’s no reason to get in your Warlock levels early. Get to Paladin 6 before your Warlock levels. Where you go from there depends what flavor you want your character to have. Paladin 11 gets you Improved Divine Smite. Higher level Warlock spells are nice to. Shadow of Moil was a wrecker in my game.

Keravath
2021-02-20, 07:14 PM
I'd go Warlock 5 and the rest in Paladin, but take Paladin at 1st for heavy armor proficiency, and probably get Paladin 5 before Warlock 3. Invocations should be Agonizing Blast, Improved Pact Weapon, and Eldritch Smite.

Take Polearm Master and Great Weapon Master. Probably go Half-Elf and also take Elven Accuracy. You can use Vow of Enmity with GWM against the strongest opponent, or use a 1st level Paladin spell slot to Eldritch Smite on your first attack which knocks them prone, then GWM for the rest of your attacks. Remember that your bonus action attack from PAM can also use GWM. Granted that's a lot of feats so it won't leave much room for ASIs, but you can skip PAM and find another way to spend your bonus actions. Whenever you get a critical hit use a smite with one of your highest level spell slots since those dice are also doubled, and you can use a Paladin smite and an Eldritch Smite on the same attack, just pay a spell slot for each of them.

Unfortunately, most of this doesn't work.

Eldritch Smite uses warlock spell slots only, you can't use paladin spell slots for Eldritch Smite. Elven accuracy can not be used to boost strength and can not be applied to attacks using strength. GWM would require a hexblade warlock of at least level 3 using a heavy weapon as a pact weapon. However, PAM, GWM and Elven Accuracy require 3 ASIs so unless you start variant human you won't have all three until at least level 12 as a pure paladin or level 15 as a 12 paladin/3 warlock. Level 13 as an 8 paladin/5 warlock. However, if you take 5 levels of warlock early you won't have extra attack or the paladin aura until very late so the character will likely be relying on eldritch blast for attacks.

The main reasons to take warlock levels on a paladin are usually for style and for access to a charisma based ranged attack in eldritch blast, some short rest spell slots for smites and some invocations. The main advantage of Eldritch Smite is that it can knock a target prone and could be used on ranged attacks.

---

One build that works pretty well would be -

- variant human - start with polearm master, use a spear and shield and take the dueling fighting style (if you want maximum damage with maximum AC)
- starting stats using point buy should be something like 16/10/14/8/10/16 wearing heavy armor (paladin's often dump int).
- First two ASIs could boost str and cha or 2 x str if you value damage more or 2 x cha if you value saves
- Personally, I think the stat increases are more beneficial than GWM which reduces your AC (since you can't wear a shield - including any magical ones you might find) and the -5/+10 feature isn't that beneficial until tier 3
- Take the first 6 levels in paladin then 7,8 in warlock - then paladin to 11 and warlock afterwards if you want. Alternatively if you need a pact feature from warlock you can take level 3 earlier but if you ever plan to go to level 20 you are giving up the 30' paladin auras.

Straight paladin is a strong class, one of its primary weaknesses is a good ranged attack which can be addressed with Eldritch blast + agonizing blast from a couple levels of warlock.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-20, 07:26 PM
Unfortunately, most of this doesn't work.

Eldritch Smite uses warlock spell slots only, you can't use paladin spell slots for Eldritch Smite. Elven accuracy can not be used to boost strength and can not be applied to attacks using strength. GWM would require a hexblade warlock of at least level 3 using a heavy weapon as a pact weapon. However, PAM, GWM and Elven Accuracy require 3 ASIs so unless you start variant human you won't have all three until at least level 12 as a pure paladin or level 15 as a 12 paladin/3 warlock. Level 13 as an 8 paladin/5 warlock. However, if you take 5 levels of warlock early you won't have extra attack or the paladin aura until very late so the character will likely be relying on eldritch blast for attacks.

The main reasons to take warlock levels on a paladin are usually for style and for access to a charisma based ranged attack in eldritch blast, some short rest spell slots for smites and some invocations. The main advantage of Eldritch Smite is that it can knock a target prone and could be used on ranged attacks.

Good call on Eldritch Smite only working with Warlock slots.

Elven Accuracy was brought up because I was on Warlock/Paladin autopilot and that typically uses Hexblade and uses Cha for attacks.

After looking at it again, I honestly don't see the point of including Warlock at all. I was trying to think of anything useful I could to justify taking it, but really it's not needed in the build at all and probably makes the Paladin portion weaker.

Topgoon
2021-02-21, 02:54 AM
IMO, in most cases, when you multiclass you are sacrificing raw power (progression) for versatility, which can be useful depending on your playstyle and goals. I would decide on whether you want to play more Paladin or Warlock, and then figure out the split from there. Regardless of the final split I would recommend starting Paladin first for Heavy Armor Proficiency.

Dipping a 1 or 2 levels of Warlock for a Paladin can help shore up your range weakness (especially if you guys play on grid), and give you some short rest smiting slot and very useful spells/cantrips.

On the flip side, getting a few Paladin levels for a Warlock can really help with survivability. The extra Paladin spell slots (though low level) can actually come in handy too because of how limited your pact slots are. Also, lets you use strong but non-scaling spells (like shield/absorb elements) without wasting a full-levelled pact slot.

There are tons of splits that work, but off common ones off the top of my head:

Paladin X / Warlock 1 - essentially playing a OoV Paladin (a fantastically strong class), but paying a 1 level tax to cover up your ranged combat weakness and some neat spells on the side. I'd likely take the dip after level 6 (unless you are noticing you really need the range).

Paladin 6 / Warlock X - a very standard split - you're grabbing some of the strongest Paladin features. Getting extra attack opens up pact options for you too.

Paladin 2 / Warlock X - you're basically playing more like a heavily armored warlock in this case (with eventually access to Smite). Extra attack (or Thirsting Blade in this case) will likely be delayed but you can lean on Eldritch Blast (which scales on character level) and blade cantrips to still do decent damage

Unless you roll well or get the right magic items, you are quite feat/ASI starved (can't have them all). In terms of feats, if you're leaning more towards the melee/Paladin side, I'd look at the usual suspects: PAM, GWM, Warcaster*, Mounted Combatant**

*I would recommend getting Warcaster in there if your DM rules that you can cast blade cantrips on the opportunity attack provoked by PAM (triggered by people getting into range). If not, you can consider Res. Con especially if you have an odd-number CON.

**If your split gets you the Find Steed (or Greater) spell, and it fits your campaign (i.e. not all indoors). One of the best Paladin spells, and Mounted Combatant will make it that much more effective. Helps a bit with MAD because it gets you advantage more often - with this you can save Oath of Emity for creatures smaller than your mount.

Pex
2021-02-21, 04:18 AM
Level 1: Paladin 1 for heavy armor and hit point boost. Any race, your choice. Have ST 16 CH 16 CO 14
Level 2: Paladin 2 for fighting style and smites. I suggest Dueling style for a little extra damage when not smiting and use a shield. If you want Great Weapon Master or Pole Arm Master, play Variant Human and take the feat at level 1.
Level 3: Warlock 1 to start having the fun you're wanting in multiclassing. Eldritch Blast of course, but also take Booming Blade.
Level 4: Warlock 2 for Agonizing Blast and Invocation of choice.
Level 5: Paladin 3 for Oath, use Booming Blade a lot. You can still smite.
Level 6: Paladin 4 for ASI, ST 18

Branch off, choose preference.

Branch 1:
Level 7: Warlock 3 for Pact, 2nd level Warlock spells
Level 8: Warlock 4 for ASI, CH 18
Level 9: Paladin 5 for Extra Attack, use Booming Blade for strategic use
Level 10: Paladin 6 for Aura of Protection

Branch 2:
Level 7: Paladin 5
Level 8: Paladin 6
Level 9: Warlock 3
Level 10: Warlock 4