PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A disguise self's limit

newguydude1
2021-02-20, 12:03 PM
You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.
https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm

what constitutes "body type"?
in 5e body type is defined as having the same arrangement of limbs.

You can't change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs.
so a human can disguise itself as any animal whose tail is not considered a limb. (apparently heads arent limbs either so you could disguise yourself as a multi-headed being)
but this is 3.5 not 5e, and 3.5 doesnt have body type defined.
cant use real life body type definition because in real life, body type refers to fat, thin, male, female, etc.

human into orc is obvious yes. but how about

human into naked skeleton
human into medium sized humanoid construct. like animated suit of armor.
human into incorporeal humanoid, like a shadow. maybe a wraith?
human into a humanoid with 3 heads

can a human cast disguise self to disguise himself as a skull lord from mmv p.154? (it has 3 heads)

edit:
some additional random rule sources i found

You cannot change the creature’s body type. For example, a wight could look human, humanoid, or like any other generally humanshaped bipedal creature.

You cannot change your body type. For example, a human caster could look human, humanoid, or like any other human-shaped bipedal creature. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you

You cannot change the creature’s body type. For example, a wight could look human, humanoid, or like any other generally humanshaped bipedal creature

so it seems undead can look like humans, so i dont see why humans cant look like undead so skeleton seems to be a yes.

also, according to this definition, i can disguise self into a skull lord

Typical Physical Characteristics: Humanoid in form and having three skulls, a skull lord is immediately recognizable. Each skull lord’s armor and cloak are scribed with its own dark motifs, so individual skull lords are distinct from one another. These creatures stand about 6 feet tall, but their skeletal forms weigh only 50 pounds

or am i wrong?

Calthropstu
2021-02-20, 05:43 PM
Body type seems to be humanoid. So anything with the humanoid subtype. Yes, undead can have the humanoid type. Yes, you can disguise self into an undead with the humanoid type.

newguydude1
2021-02-20, 05:46 PM
Body type seems to be humanoid. So anything with the humanoid subtype. Yes, undead can have the humanoid type. Yes, you can disguise self into an undead with the humanoid type.

undead have the undead type not the humanoid type. they cant have the humanoid type. there is no such thing as the humanoid subtype.

so your saying you can disguise self into humanoids or human shaped undead with 3 heads?

gogogome
2021-02-20, 06:04 PM
so your saying you can disguise self into humanoids or human shaped undead with 3 heads?

Yes you can. I mean, the monster entry explicitly says he's humanoid.

Calthropstu
2021-02-20, 06:28 PM
Looked at the entry of the skull lord, skeleton and several other rules.

It appears "body type" != "creature type." Anything with a humanoid form seems fair game. Trying this is ill advised. You won't sound right. And many undead have life sense. You will also not be able to use any of the abilities. You will not be able to compel the skull lords minions.

In short "I look like a skull lord whee" is about all this will get you. You'd be found out as a fraud in seconds.

newguydude1
2021-02-20, 06:53 PM
Yes you can. I mean, the monster entry explicitly says he's humanoid.

It appears "body type" != "creature type." Anything with a humanoid form seems fair game. Trying this is ill advised. You won't sound right. And many undead have life sense. You will also not be able to use any of the abilities. You will not be able to compel the skull lords minions.

In short "I look like a skull lord whee" is about all this will get you. You'd be found out as a fraud in seconds.

alright. thanks. thats a positive from two people so ill take that as a yes.

Crake
2021-02-20, 09:08 PM

Except his next step is gonna be to do this as a changeling/level 1 egoist psion with the MCS ACF, with assume supernatural ability.

Calthropstu
2021-02-20, 11:53 PM
Except his next step is gonna be to do this as a changeling/level 1 egoist psion with the MCS ACF, with assume supernatural ability.

Doesn't work. Disguise self is a glamor/illusion spell. You don't actually take the shape.