PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A create food and water, potential source for corpses?

newguydude1
2021-02-20, 10:05 PM
The food that this spell creates is simple fare of your choice—highly nourishing, if rather bland. Food so created decays and becomes inedible within 24 hours, although it can be kept fresh for another 24 hours by casting a purify food and drink spell on it. The water created by this spell is just like clean rain water, and it doesn’t go bad as the food does.

i dont understand what "simple fare" means.

anyways, can i do this?

cast create food and water to create cooked (or raw, or barely cooked aka rare) bone-in full animals like a whole pig or a whole cow or a whole chicken. then let it "decay and become inedible". doesnt matter. decayed bones and flesh that are inedible are still usable as skeletons or zombies right?

so if i have animate dead as an sla like palemancer or something. can i just cast lots of create food and water to get a bunch of animal carcasses with bones inside and then animate them and then spam unliving weapon spell to turn all the masses of animal zombies or skeletons into bombs and suicide them all like banelings from starcraft?

edit: theyll all probably be chickens or turkeys because a pig can feed a lot of people and i dont think the spell can reasonably hit that, at least not low level. a whole roast chicken on the other hand is for one adventurer for sure.

gijoemike
2021-02-20, 11:00 PM
No, simple fare is basic simple to prepare food with normally few ingredients. Things like rice, broths, soups, rye/wheat bread, grapes, apples, and Granola. This means no bone in rib-eye, Seared buttered fish, roasted pig with apple in mouth, rack of lamb, raisin bread, banana nut bread, yogurts, or stuffed turkeys.

The animal carcass isn't food in and of itself. It must be fully prepared. This means no skin, or organs, in the case of the cow it MUST be butchered. Whole roast hog is mostly butchered. Even whole birds will not have the head. But all of these cooked meats would be savory or succulent and the spell calls out the results are bland nutrient packed foods.

newguydude1
2021-02-20, 11:09 PM
No, simple fare is basic simple to prepare food with normally few ingredients. Things like rice, broths, soups, rye/wheat bread, grapes, apples, and Granola. This means no bone in rib-eye, Seared buttered fish, roasted pig with apple in mouth, rack of lamb, raisin bread, banana nut bread, yogurts, or stuffed turkeys.

The animal carcass isn't food in and of itself. It must be fully prepared. This means no skin, or organs, in the case of the cow it MUST be butchered. Whole roast hog is mostly butchered. Even whole birds will not have the head. But all of these cooked meats would be savory or succulent and the spell calls out the results are bland nutrient packed foods.

but the bones dont disappear right? i can use them leftover uneaten bones for spell components that require pieces of bone right?

so zombies seem to be out because you made a good case about all the organs being removed and such. but how about skeletons? headless skeletons are a thing right?

i am having trouble finding a nonheadless chicken food. or headless skeletons.

gogogome
2021-02-20, 11:27 PM
but the bones dont disappear right? i can use them leftover uneaten bones for spell components that require pieces of bone right?

so zombies seem to be out because you made a good case about all the organs being removed and such. but how about skeletons? headless skeletons are a thing right?

i am having trouble finding a nonheadless chicken food. or headless skeletons.

Chickens aren't only headless. They're also feet-less.

I'm gonna have to say a hard no on this one.

But the spell doesn't say the decayed food disappears so I'll say yes on using the bones for spell components or other things. They'll be decayed though so probably weaker than the normal hardness for bone.

redking
2021-02-21, 04:10 AM
i dont understand what "simple fare" means.

anyways, can i do this?

No. But if your "RAW or die" DM says you can then why not?

newguydude1
2021-02-21, 06:17 PM
i think roasting a whole animal is "simple fare". its primitive after all done since ancient times.

InvisibleBison
2021-02-21, 06:38 PM
i think roasting a whole animal is "simple fare". its primitive after all done since ancient times.

True, but roast meat isn't bland, and the spell can only create bland food.

newguydude1
2021-02-21, 06:39 PM
True, but roast meat isn't bland, and the spell can only create bland food.

i think the spell is saying whatever it makes tastes bland, not that it can only make bland food. it makes "simple fare" and the resulting food will be bland.

Falontani
2021-02-21, 06:58 PM
it has to be edible for the caster, and meat is not bland, but if you are a carnivore rather than the normal omnivore, then you wouldn't be able to eat any of the foods mentioned above. I would expect for carnivores it would probably be things like grub, ants, and other bugs like them. But then again, carnivore only lifestyles are much more common in places like the arctic, where such foods would be rare and probably unlikely. Maybe bland fish?

newguydude1
2021-02-21, 07:15 PM
it has to be edible for the caster, and meat is not bland, but if you are a carnivore rather than the normal omnivore, then you wouldn't be able to eat any of the foods mentioned above. I would expect for carnivores it would probably be things like grub, ants, and other bugs like them. But then again, carnivore only lifestyles are much more common in places like the arctic, where such foods would be rare and probably unlikely. Maybe bland fish?

cooked squirrel on a stick is edible no? and a cooked squirrel on a stick has most if not all of its skeleton right?

i dont get where people say meat isnt bland. if you watch kitchen nightmares gordon ramsay says everything he eats is bland including meat like meat balls or shepherds pie and other meat products.

Falontani
2021-02-21, 07:23 PM
cooked squirrel on a stick is edible no? and a cooked squirrel on a stick has most if not all of its skeleton right?

i dont get where people say meat isnt bland. if you watch kitchen nightmares gordon ramsay says everything he eats is bland including meat like meat balls or shepherds pie and other meat products.

A combination of exaggeration and comparison bias. You can say that something is bland compared to something else, in this case usually the meat being compared to the meat that it is supposed to be. But if you compare the "bland" meat to normal bland foods such as the ones mentioned above, most meats have enough umami or savory flavor to make it not be bland.

tbf, I think it is supposed to be that it is just supposed to be bland versions of the food, like you suggested.

aglondier
2021-02-22, 01:27 AM
The food created is basically "mana from heaven", no creature or plant was ever involved in its creation. You'd basically be looking at lemba style waybread, simple, edible, nutritious...but not really of this realm. And funtionally identical for carnivores since it is being provided by their diety. No bones, no meat, but containing all the nutrients they would normally provide.

Bugbear
2021-02-22, 11:47 AM
Well, I'd say a 3rd level spell can magically create a skeleton of a small animal no problem. And if I was to make a spell Create Animal Skeleton, it would be first level.

But....it does not seem like it's a needed spell.

Just head out into the wild and you can find plenty of dead animals. Plus plenty of live one you can hunt too.

And....there are places called farms. You can go to even a single animal farm and find hundreds of bones. Plus anywhere trash is disposed of will have plenty of bones.

Finding the bones of any common animal: cow, chicken, pig, dog or cat is very easy. Casting a 3rd level spell to get some bones is a huge waste of magic.