PDA

View Full Version : D20 modern, 3.5?

Shinoskay
2021-02-21, 12:13 AM
I'm looking at the ghillie suit: http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/equipment/clothing.php

is there a book for this? or is D20 modern just all fan made homebrew stuff?

RedWarlock
2021-02-21, 12:18 AM
Yeah, there's a book for d20 Modern (example: Amazon link (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0786928360/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PRCSF52S8Y1VB2HQ47XQ)). I have it. Can't reach it at the moment (obstructions in the gaming room) but this looks like a seemingly accurate copy of the SRD for Modern.

Shinoskay
2021-02-21, 12:22 AM
Yeah, there's a book for d20 Modern (example: Amazon link (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0786928360/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PRCSF52S8Y1VB2HQ47XQ)). I have it. Can't reach it at the moment (obstructions in the gaming room) but this looks like a seemingly accurate copy of the SRD for Modern.
oh, thank you.

not dnd 3.5 official then... does anyone know if there is a similar ghillie suit in dnd 3.5 official?

RedWarlock
2021-02-21, 12:26 AM
It's as close as you're going to get, unless there's one in Stormwrack or the 3.0 Ranger splat I'm not aware of.

D20 Modern WAS made by Wizards of the Coast, and was their (mostly cross-compatible) effort at modern items and rules.

Crake
2021-02-21, 04:30 AM
oh, thank you.

not dnd 3.5 official then... does anyone know if there is a similar ghillie suit in dnd 3.5 official?

D20 modern is published by wizards of the coast and is based on the d20 system, it's as "official" as you can get.

CIDE
2021-02-27, 12:24 AM
To further support the above posts there were also archived online articles that crossed content between D20 modern and D&D for use in either system. For example, D20 modern (and D20 Future) includes rules for mechs and they utilized those rules to build a steampunk magitech mech that was suitable to be used in D&D. I know there was stuff that went the other direction as well but I can't recall specifics.

There are some wonky interactions with trying to match specific spells or classes but overall it's easy enough for the two games to mix up.

Kelb_Panthera
2021-02-27, 01:13 AM
Arms and equipment 35; forester's cloak. Make it masterwork and ask for a +2 or +3.

Shinoskay
2021-02-27, 04:26 AM
Arms and equipment 35; forester's cloak. Make it masterwork and ask for a +2 or +3.

http://www.ddarling.ca/dd/magicitem/shoulder/forester_cloak.htm
this one, right?

Foresters cloak is an awesome idea, but the wrong direction. you can easily, and near always, make a ghillie suit and get +10 (and it's -4 penalty trade off) but you need to be able to make magic items to make the foresters cloak.

however, it's relatively cheap, and can become more powerful... without the trade-off. so in the long run it is absolutely better.

unless you mean:

Cloak, Forester’s:
Woven from several pieces ofgreen and brown canvas, these large
ponchos aidanyone trying to hide in a forest environment. The carefully
chosen colors blend in with the vegetation,and the poncho’s
loose shape obscures the humanoidform. Forester’s cloaks provide a +1
circumstancebonus on Hide checks made in a forest.

for an easy +3 when masterwork.

While a lot easier, and for an easy 3 bonus, it still takes more crafting effort. 70 gp for +3 hide isn't that bad at all.

Though, now that I think about it... I was just assuming the ghillie suit could just be made because theres no price tag from what I saw. however, right now... as I look at it to compare to these two I realize it says purchasing dc. So I am going to try a little more google fuu to see if I can find an actual price for it.

Kelb_Panthera
2021-02-27, 07:27 PM
That seems to be some kind of homebrew as far as I can tell. I was referring to the second item there.

KillianHawkeye
2021-02-27, 09:13 PM
FWIW, pretty sure d20 Modern and its off-shoots were (loosely) based on original 3E D&D rather than 3.5 Edition.

NotInventedHere
2021-02-28, 07:44 AM
Though, now that I think about it... I was just assuming the ghillie suit could just be made because theres no price tag from what I saw. however, right now... as I look at it to compare to these two I realize it says purchasing dc. So I am going to try a little more google fuu to see if I can find an actual price for it.

The purchasing DC is the actual price. D20 Modern used a wealth bonus/purchase DC system rather than keeping track of a character's available money in dollars and cents, since a modern-day character was supposed to have a regular life and a day job, and could be assumed to have all sorts of complicated things like rent payments, groceries, bank accounts, credit cards, student loans, etc. etc., and doing the full bookkeeping for every step of that would be like doing your taxes every session. There is no explicit conversion between purchase DCs and dollar amounts, much less between purchase DCs and D&D gold piece prices, but DC 6 is fairly low and probably around about $50 or so? A nice briefcase is DC 7, a regular flashlight is DC 4 and a fancy battery flood flashlight is DC 6.

hamishspence
2021-02-28, 08:10 AM
Given that D20 Call of Cthulhu has prices in dollars (for both 30s-era and modern-era - 2000 or so) it could be used as a basis for comparing cost in dollars to purchase DCs.