PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A domain access wizard gains access to spells?

newguydude1
2021-02-21, 10:41 AM
Domain Granted Power
So great are the extent of your study and the depth of your faith that you can call upon the power of one of your deity’s domains.
Level: 5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th.
Replaces: This benefit replaces the bonus feat gained by a wizard at 5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th level.
Benefit: Choose one cleric domain. If you worship a specific deity, the domain you choose must be one to which your deity grants access. You now can use that domain’s granted power as a cleric does, but you do not gain access to its spells or extra spell slots.
Special: If you take levels in a class that grants you a domain choice (such as cleric), you gain the full benefits of the domain in addition to the other domains available to you from that class.

so if im reading this right, if you take this acf, and then take a level in cleric, you add all 3 domains spell list to your spell known and can prepare all of them.

am i correct? 1 level of cleric with this acf and you can add 27 spells to your spell known including ones that are not on the wizard spell list.

Jack_Simth
2021-02-21, 11:20 AM
so if im reading this right, if you take this acf, and then take a level in cleric, you add all 3 domains spell list to your spell known and can prepare all of them.

am i correct? 1 level of cleric with this acf and you can add 27 spells to your spell known including ones that are not on the wizard spell list.
I'm reading it the other way around. A Wizard-15/Cleric-1 would get three domains on the cleric portion, not on the Wizard side.

newguydude1
2021-02-21, 11:25 AM
I'm reading it the other way around. A Wizard-15/Cleric-1 would get three domains on the cleric portion, not on the Wizard side.

i cant figure out whether your right or wrong. is there a way to resolve this?

Khedrac
2021-02-21, 02:23 PM
For spells "the full benefits of the domain" is the ability to prepare the spells in domain spell slots - they do not otherwise give the ability to prepare the spells (so the non cleric spells cannot be prepard by a cleric in non-domain slots).

Barring domain-specific text (of which I am not aware of any) domains do not grant extra slots (the extra slot is a cleric class property, and the number of domains hald does not affect it therefore it cannot be a domain property).

Endarire
2021-02-21, 04:17 PM
To my present understanding, no Cleric domains give extra slots, but some PrCs that give domain access like Holt Warden also grant domain spell slots.

Darg
2021-02-21, 05:40 PM
Domain wizard: one domain power, no spell access or domain slots.

Domain wizard/cleric: cleric gets 2 domains plus the wizard domain = 3 domain powers, access to 3 domain spell lists, and only one domain slot.

One possible reading though, is that domain wizard has one use of the power and the cleric side has another use of the power.

newguydude1
2021-02-21, 06:12 PM
For spells "the full benefits of the domain" is the ability to prepare the spells in domain spell slots - they do not otherwise give the ability to prepare the spells (so the non cleric spells cannot be prepard by a cleric in non-domain slots).

Barring domain-specific text (of which I am not aware of any) domains do not grant extra slots (the extra slot is a cleric class property, and the number of domains hald does not affect it therefore it cannot be a domain property).

ok this is convincing. no domain slots = no spells.

alright. i thought it was too good to be true. most of the time it always is.

thanks guys.