PDA

View Full Version : Barroom Brawl (Spheres in Review)

SangoProduction
2021-02-21, 08:00 PM
Finally! It's been ten thousand years! But I finally have a temporary solution to my internet troubles!
Am I going to take this opportunity to be productive and actually begin to try and make my part of the world a better place? You know...it's been stressful. I need a drink.

Post-Review Analysis: Nothing particularly special.
Full or Partial BAB: There's no real scaling to speak of. So partial BAB get basically as much out of this as anyone else. I mean, some talents upgrade at BAB 10, or have something exceptionally minor every +4 BAB. But man. It just really doesn't matter.

Flex Talents: Postprandial Maudlin is neat if you run out of booze but have rations.

Ranking system:
(S) Superb: You always want this. It's awesome.
(G) Good: These make useful additions to the right builds.
(M) Meh: While perhaps better than nothing, you are giving up something for it, so probably shouldn't without a good reason.
(N) No.

<Angle brackets> around a rating indicates situational usefulness, and how good it is in that favorable situation.
(C) Cheese: A talent so broken that it will be instantly banned if you use it as you could.
(I) Impossible: Can't be rated because it is just not defined well enough to give a meaningful rating - it depends too much on DM ruling, or personal use. I'll just place it where I guess the average result would put it.
(F) Flavor: This indicates that the main draw to the talent is going to be its inherent fluff or flavor, rather than raw power or utility.

(G-S): Powerful talents that are almost, but not quite, universally useful or desirable.
(M-G): These are pretty reasonable talents of mediocre strength.
(N-M): It technically has a use, but the cost simply doesn't outweigh the benefit.

Base Sphere
Brutal Breaker: No penalty to improvised weapons. Your improvised weapons may be targeted with spells as though they were manufactured weapons. You may also just pick up any improvised weapon and attack as the same standard action.
So yeah. It's got quick draw, assuming you've got environmental items you can just pick up and stab someone with. So, yay. Huge step up on normal improvised weapons. Probably still pretty hard to compare favorably to real weapons.

Hard Drinker: Move action to gain drunk status for Con mod rounds - min 1, so long as you've got a Con score. +1/4 BAB rounds.
Does nothing on its own, but enables (Drunk) talents.
Oh, and it makes potion use much quicker and not provoke. Pretty nice.

Improvised Martial Arts (G-S): Well, looks like you found your means of scaling damage with items that normally have very subpar damage. And you can break your weapon to force an AoO onto them. Now, does Barroom Expert apply after you use Unarmed Damage for your damage? If so, that's great. If not...well, duh.
Improvised Shield (G-S): You can actually cheese it quite well for essentially free defense. Attack, then free action to declare it a shield, and then attack with something else next round. It's even more straightforward if you've got Improvised Martial Arts. Oh, and preventing crits is neat.
Up, Down And… (G-S): You can reliably be drunk, and eliminate penalties for being prone, but get all the bonuses, like being harder for casters to hit. And archers too, I guess. And getting to take advantage of what's normally half cover. ...If they walk away from you though... oof. lol. Guardian Sphere.

Barroom Expert (G): Adds a special feature to your improvised weapons. Those are relatively minor. But you also increase the damage size by 1, and double crit rate. I mean it's probably something you are going to always pick up if you're taking improvised weapons because of that.
Bottle Rocket (G): Improves improvised weapon range quite dramatically, and you can give it the scatter ability by destroying it - which is incredibly unique, all considered..
Drunken Boxer (G): Huh. Neat. +1 damage size to unarmed strikes. Pretty much always taken if you're going for unarmed. Unless you're a Sage. Expending drunk for max damage to 1 attack seems meh.
Focusing Buzz (<G>): A move action refresh on martial focus is hardly anything special. But if you are already regularly using the action to get drunk, then this is not actually an additional action cost.

Shatter (G): 1d4 is probably more added damage than 1 weapon damage size. But Barroom Expert is passive, and this is active, and basically disarms you until next round.
Perfect Break (<G>): If you're breaking weapons a lot, and don't often have a lot of things to pick up...then improvised weapons are probably not going to be your friend, but... this will help alleviate your lack of resources.

Surprise (M-G): Battered doesn't much matter, and getting a minor boost to hit on your first attack is a pretty poor investment
Charming Drunk (<M-G>): Tiny buff to Bluff/Diplo. But also a potential reroll, at the cost of ruining the rest of your rolls of the scene. Unless you're so far ahead of the DCs that -5 doesn't do anything, and you just need to avoid natural ones. Which is remarkably easy.
Double Chug (M-G): A +1 to all saves is nice. Doubled drunk duration though? Who actually cares? Lets you drink a potion, and gain drunk condition at the same time.
Everything Is A Drink (M-G, F): For when you want to be able to win any drinking contest. Lets you drink a potion, and gain drunk condition at the same time.

Iron Liver (<M>, F): If you're running into sickened and poisons a lot, this is a +2 vs those. Or if you're using a lot of Drunk talents in quick succession. Otherwise, it's basically just fluff.

Boozehound (N-M, F): Very little actual use. Funny at least. Well done Jester, well done. It's fun for finding invisible folk by tossing around ale, which you probably already have, as opposed to flour.

You Want Some? (C): A C rank in N tier? Well, yeah. Anything is a Drink plus this means you can force feed potions of fireball (or equivalent) to people, which does that, plus sickened for 1 round. But... otherwise there's really no use to this.
Postprandial Maudlin (N,F): Heh. Funny man go nom.
Jagged Edge (N): What a pathetic amount of bleed damage.

False Courage (<G-S>): If you're regularly facing fear effects, then here you go.

Nice And Loose (G): Roll with advantage on reflex saves. Nice. An average of +5 to the roll. But only for one save per move action.
Miracle Drink (G): Alchemical bonuses are pretty rare. Although the duration is really short, which is going to actually cause you to run into your hourly cap it you try and keep it up for fights.

Stupored Drop (<G>): Evasion is good if you're regularly face reflex... Wait. In that situation, I would have probably used Nice and Loose.

Seeing Double (M): 50% chance to have an extra attack, at the cost of a move action. Hmm. Sounds an awful lot like full attack, with extra steps.
Drunken Insight (M): You normally can't attempt a knowledge roll more than once. This changes that. And you can use it multiple times on the same roll. But this is basically a once or thrice a day thing, in regards to actually useful rerolls.

Had A Few (N-M): Neat. You can essentially start each combat with a few extra hit points. A handy combo with Delayed Pool from Guardian sphere. But generally not worth your move action to refresh in combat.
Reeling Steps (N-M, F): Eh. Really doesn't matter.

Purge (N): Reflex or fall prone. If they enter the square. Not just for existing on it. Possibly useful in very tight corridors?
Menacing Belch (N): There are a lot of methods of getting this effect, which don't require spending a full round action. (drink and standard action)

Go Limp: Converts 1/2 damage to nonlethal, so long as you are drunk

Magic In The Spirits: Relatively meh. But there aren't a lot of ways to get enhancement bonus on improvised weapons - especially those you are about to throw away.

Perfect Relaxation: Supernatural Freedom of Movement.

Extreme Mood Swings:
Benefit(s): Increase each morale bonus you receive by 1. You take a -1 penalty on saves against emotion and fear effects.

When you are drunk (or worse), this penalty doubles, but you increase each morale bonus you receive by 2 instead.

Based on the Barfighter archetype, it can be inferred that the Drunk status of SoM is supposed to apply to these feats, which are generally garbage (especially with the penalty-filled drunkenness). But this one's really bloody good, if you have a source of morale bonuses.

Lirya
2021-02-23, 05:13 AM
I have used barroom with a couple of npcs, and the main benefit of Double Chug is improving your action economy/getting better use out of potions. If you want to use drunk to buff up anyway with say Miracle Drink, then Double Chug allows you to add an extra effect from a cheap potion on top of that (say Enlarge Person). If you are using Focusing Buzz to regain Martial Focus as a move action, then Double Chug allows you to add the effect of a cheap potion (say Cure Light Wounds) which could synergize with the Go Limp advanced talent as it would heal both non-lethal and lethal damage at the same time.

The 10 BAB scaling of allowing you to expend drunk twice is also really good (say you want to expend drunk to buff with Miracle Drink and still stay drunk to keep Magic in the Spirits advanced talent going).

Rynjin
2021-02-23, 05:35 AM
I am currently running a Barroom character (though he's less Barroom-y after a story-related rebuild) and I agree with most of this. The main thing I like about the Sphere is that it's very versatile; unlike a lot of Spheres it does a little bit of everything. It does damage, defense, and utility all in one.

Bottle Rocket I would actually rate a bit higher. It's one of the only martial AoE options, and its damage is superior to anything else I've seen in that regard (especially as it's a "Special Attack action", meaning it combos with Vital Strike as per usual). It is also your one and only Swarm killer as a low level Barroom-man. This was one of the Talents I retrained away and I've actually regretted it a bit; a thrown wine bottle is potentially a more damaging and useful weapon than a Longbow in many circumstances with it.

Up, Down, And... is good on its own, but I think it's definitely worth the dip into Open hand for Capoeira Spin. Being able to stand up from Prone as a Free action is a game changer for that talent, not to mention the elimination of the [Drunk] requirement.

I think you missed the other HUGE benefit of the base Sphere: it lets you retrieve AND drink potions as a Move action. That's pretty huge; it's essentially lowering an action type by two steps, since retrieving and drinking a potion usually takes your Move AND Standard actions.

Stupored Drop I'd say is equivalent to Nice and Loose only until you hit BaB 10; the jump to Improved Evasion and also removing any sort of action cost is pretty solid.

Barroom Expert can give many improvised weapons Reach, except it's not Reach when it would be disadvantageous to you (i.e. when an enemy moves adjacent to you between turns). I think it's worth the G-S just for that, honestly. I found that the best weapon to use in most situations is a chair; a 2d6 Reach weapon with a 19-20/x2 crit rate isn't too shabby.

Barroom is...kind of my favorite "standalone" Sphere. While it's not as generally stupidly powerful as Berserker, or as utility based as Alchemy, it has quite a lot of fun little interactions within it that make it worth at least a dip for a surprising amount of different characters.

SangoProduction
2021-02-24, 02:22 AM
And noted.