PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Gunner (PrC, some "around" things)

boomwolf
2007-11-08, 04:54 PM
The athletic gunners use weird technology that provides them the ability to shoot opponents like nothing. they use speed and cunning to avoid being hit and can be seen carrying two metal pieces and wearing usually black cloaks. (matrix style. they are matrix inspired after all)
Some may think they are the shadow type by the fact they prefer speed over power, but the truth is they are a noisy kind of a figher, they go all front to the opponent, and dodges his attacks.

HD: d8

Requirements
Skills: Tumble 8 ranks, Jump 8 ranks, Balance 8 ranks.
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Shot On The Run.
Proficiencies: Must be proficient with a Slayer Pistol (exotic)
Special: Must own two Slayer Pistols.

Class Skills (2+Int modifier per level): Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Tumble.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: An Athletic Gunner gains no proficiencies with weapons or armor.

Athletic Gunner
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +1
2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|+1 Dodge Bonus

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Wallrunner, Trap Sense +2
4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|+2 Dodge Bonus

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Improved Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +3

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2|+3 Dodge Bonus

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2|Airshot, Trap Sense +4

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2|+4 Dodge Bonus

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3|Elemental Bullets, Trap Sense +5

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3|+5 Dodge Bonus, Perfect Movement[/table]

Trap Sense (Ex)

At first level, an athletic gunner gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by 1 every odd level.

Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Evasion (Ex)

At first level or higher if an athletic gunner makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if an athletic gunner is wearing light or no armor. A helpless athletic gunner does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

At first level, an athletic gunner retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If an athletic gunner already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Dodge Bonus (Ex)
At second level, the athletic gunner gains a +1 dodge bonus. this bonus increases by 1 every even level.

Wallrunner (Ex)
At third level, the athletic gunner learns how to run on walls for short distances, this allow his for even more mobility then ever.
As your move action, you may move at your base speed, and are allowed to run over walls as though as they are floor. for each 5 ft. of wall run like that make a tumble check of DC 10+double the distance (so 10 feet of wall will be DC 30.) If you fail the check you fall down midway, going prone if hitting ground. (you can may into a pit or such.)
You cannot gain the advantage from "shot on the run" and "Mobile Gunner) while wallrunning (unless you have "Airshot")

Improved Evasion (Ex)

At 5th level, an athletic gunner’s evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless athletic gunner does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

At 5th level and higher, an athletic gunner can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the athletic gunner by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has athletic gunner levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Airshot (Ex)

Starting from 7th level, the athletic gunner can fine while airborn (jumping, falling, fly, feather fall, etc.) or while wallruning as though as she was standing on solid ground, taking no penalty. she can also gain the advantage from "Shot on the Run" and the "Mobile gunner" feats while in these situations.

Elemental Bullets (Sp)

At 9th level the athletic gunner gains the ability to charge her bullets with magical energy. As a standard action she may enchant a clip so that every bullet shot from it on the next 10 minutes will deal an additional 1d6 damage of the chosen type (the types are fire, acid, cold, electricity and sonic.)

Perfect Movement (Ex)

At 10th level the athletic gunner gains his ultimate power. the gunner is like he is under the constant effect of Freedom of Movement (like the spell) and his base movement speed increaces by 10 ft.
As this is an extraordinary ability is functions inside anti-magic fields and cannot be dispelled.
The athletic gunner also gain a +5 competence bonus on all tumble checks.

The Slayer Pistol:
the slayer pistol is a rather advance weapon. he is an exotic weapon, and like such he needs special training. The pistol costs 150 gp and weights 4 lb.
The pistol has two attack options:

{table=head]Type|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Type
Ranged|1d6|1d6|19-20/×2|80 ft.|Piercing
Melee|1d3|1d4|×3|-|Bludgeoning
[/table]

Ranged:
While using the ranged, each attack takes a bullet. bullets are reloaded in a 5-bullet clip and replacing an empty clip with a new one takes an attack. (A clip costs 2 GP and weights 1 lb.) If you have the "rapid reload" feat then it is a free cation
All enchantments on the weapon effects the bullets like in bows and crossbows.

You can fire two of these at the same time as though as you were using a single weapon, but you cannot reload both at once (or shoot with one and reload the other.) unless you have the rapid reload feat.
The slayer pistol is uneffected by the Rapid Shot and Manyshot feats.

Melee:
The slayer pistol can also be used as a melee weapon. it has no special attributes when used like this.

Feat:

Mobile Gunner

Prerequisites
Dex 17, Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Shot On The Run, base attack bonus +10.

Benefit
When using the full attack action with a ranged weapon, you can move both before, after and between the attacks, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.

Recommendations to use:
While your feat requires cover most things you will need you are recommended to learn the "Shot On The Run", "Mobile Gunner", "Precise Shot", "Improved Precise Shot" and "Rapid Reload" feats during your advancement for maximum output out of the class. you might want to toss in the "cleave" feats too. as they trigger from ranged kills as well if the same weapon can provide a melee attack. and the slayer pistol can.

well. this is it guys.
what do you think?
nice? lame?
balance problems?

Partysan
2007-11-08, 05:19 PM
It's want you probably wanted it to be: stylish.
Now I think that even as a capstone Perfect Movement is way too much. Freedom of movement permanent is much already, but haste permanencied? no way!

boomwolf
2007-11-09, 06:28 AM
It is? ok. thinking on how to replace it without making it suck.

at the meantime-any other comments?

Hecore
2007-11-09, 09:26 PM
I'd change the capstone to perm. Freedom of Movement and a perm. enhancement to base movement speed.

I'd also change Airshot to only give the Mobile Gunner feat if you already have it.

Personally I'd change around the class a bit and find a way to fit in Slow Fall(50 feet?) and Defensive Roll. Maybe reduce the dodge bonus?

Edit: Oh, and in your signature you have llama spelled lama.

boomwolf
2007-11-10, 07:15 AM
1-Yep. changed.

2-Airshot does not give "mobile gunner", it allows you to enjoy the benefit when you normally could not.

3-Hummm. Thinking about it and trying to figure if I can fit it in.

4-I know. too lazy to edit my sig.

Partysan
2007-11-10, 12:29 PM
I'd give the bonus on tumble (and one on jump) more early.
There are two abilities you want: the one that makes you always count as having a running start on jump checks and that one that lets your jump distance not be limited by your height.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-10, 02:30 PM
Too useless. It takes 4 feats, provides menial bonuses ('Cept for sonic bullets, those are always full of win), and doesn't even give you TWF to compensate for shooting with two weapons, because, even with the exception, the slayer pists ARE two weps, and nowhere does it say you don't take the penalties for TWF'ing the slayers. And you actually need to expend 5 feats to effectively use this PrC.

I'd put elemental bullets on first level, have them improve up every even level up to 5d6, and change this capstone ability into the ability to full attack with a standard action thrice per day, or unlimitedly as a full attack without wasting a feat. I'd also allow rapid shot for the slayers. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this could helm make the gunner actually really useful, PLUS stylish.

Other than the power issue, it rocks.

boomwolf
2007-11-10, 04:01 PM
They can already shoot 8 bullets per round. more is rather creepy.
On the other hand it does allow you to fire all 5 bullets every round (make it 6 somehow *eem* haste*eem* and you can reload too.
Gotta think.

Also-as noted, two slayer pistols may be used AS ONE WEAPON on ranged option. so no TWF is needed.

Improving elemental bullets. yea, thats sane. giving him 8 6d6 attack every round. WITHOUT the optional critical your damage output is huge. and you can get there at level 15 if you get a good amount of bonus feats (human fighter? fits in like a glove, 5 levels fighter, 10 levels acrobatic gunner. jest enough feats.)
And thats BEFORE you start enchanting the guns, getting rapid shot (if I'll make it usable), or getting some sort of enchantment on you (such as haste)

Maybe it is too weak, but I don't want it to be wizard-broken or cleric-broken. and some of your ideas are scary on power level.

Partysan-good ideas. but were do I stuff them in. (removing trap sense? it is a bit off anyway. but its never alone as it is.)

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-10, 04:17 PM
Your clips are of 5 bullets, right? Well, I assume slayer pists are basically two pistols in one, so each one has 5 bullets, which means you don't need to reload inbetween one attack (If I'm wrong, you can fire 5 bullets at most, then interrupt the attack, then continue). Maybe you could make a more complete description of the slayer pistols? I'm picturing them as one of two things, currently: A pair of pistols taped up for shooting, or something closer to a two barrel minigun, or a sawed off shotgun. How does it look? Oh, BTW, you'd only need 1 slayer pistol for the reqs, if they are like sawed offs, because if not, you WOULD need to apply two weapon fighting penalties (and the class would become known as "3.5's Dart Fighter" because of the amount of bullets shot). Some description of looks could clear this up. And I'm sure that haste doesn't let you create bullets from nowhere, so 6 bullets are not possible.

As for elemental bullets, the increase is for overcoming DR. With sonic this isn't needed, mostly, but with everything else, you more or less need 10 damage to overcome common DR's.

Now, I might have understood this all wrong, of course. My ideas were based on a certain viewpoint, and I likely missed something.

boomwolf
2007-11-10, 07:48 PM
The point is not in how they are, they are like normal modern pistols.
The point is in the fact THE GUN have the ability to allow you to take no penalty and make all attacks with both, as though as you are using a single weapon.

As for look. think of a modern pistol, jest that the barrel is as high as the handle and the clips go into the high barrel instead of the handle.

You know what, I took pictures of guns and edited them to get a slayer pistol.
Now you can't say I didn't put effort into this.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5019/slayerpistolps2.png