PDA

View Full Version : Little Recognized/Played Games

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-08, 05:35 PM
What games have you played which you found to be fun, complete and just nifty, but other people haven't even heard of them!?

Here's my list:

Red Dwarf. I love the rules. Playing as a Rabbit Person or a Talkie Toaster is just cool!

Warhammer Fantasy Role Play (NOT to be confused with the Miniatures Game). The Fantasy RPG version of War Hammer is very fun. I've noticed no major imbalances. I rather like the system, with the only complaints resting in how Magic is handled. But the magic system is far from the broken system I've seen people complain about in 3e.

JettWilderbeast
2007-11-08, 05:39 PM
Hmm I think my favourite relatively unknown game ive played would have to hollyworld. The premise being that real life is just like the movies i.e. running away from an explosion means you dont get hurt and throwing something in the way of your enemies means their numbers get halved!
It's hilarious the whole time!

Fax Celestis
2007-11-08, 05:39 PM
Everway. No dice, no stats. Just the players, the GM, and a tarot deck.

Etherscope. Victoriana-punk, if you will.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-08, 05:42 PM
Starship Troopers. Yep, there is a RPG based on the book/movie. I've wanted to play it ever since I found it on wikipedia. I haven't tracked it down yet though.

mostlyharmful
2007-11-08, 05:50 PM
Red Dwarf and Warhammer, yeah I've played those a little and they were fun and just damn crazy besides, both of them. Psychotic Wombles in the Bowels of the Ship:smallcool:

I've also had a lot of fun with the Buffy game. it's really simple and easy to get hold of. It copies the feel of the series very easily and so long as you phase out the drama points to the point of maybe one or two a session it's great. Except the magic system. that's even more broken than the DnD version. By leaps and bounds. seriously. Pun-Pun becomes hard to avoid after a while.:smallfrown: But it works really well early on.:smallsmile:

horseboy
2007-11-08, 05:54 PM
Can I get a definition? Are we talking about Whispering Vault/Cinnabar or just something that's not d20?

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-08, 05:56 PM
Can I get a definition? Are we talking about Whispering Vault/Cinnabar or just something that's not d20?

pretty much non d20 I guess :D

BTW I have yet to find a successful Blood of Heroes or BESM game :( those were good too.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-08, 05:57 PM
pretty much non d20 I guess :D

BTW I have yet to find a successful Blood of Heroes or BESM game :( those were good too.

From my understanding, BESM doesn't translate well to online play.

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-08, 05:59 PM
From my understanding, BESM doesn't translate well to online play.

I get the same feeling about Blood of Heroes too (since it used that little dial a number system. Fun system though :D great for super hero games.

mostlyharmful
2007-11-08, 05:59 PM
If you're talking about the buffy one it's by Eden Studios. Through Unisystem

horseboy
2007-11-08, 06:17 PM
Well, in that case, my preferred systems are Rolemaster and Earthdawn for fantasy, Shadow Run (2nd) and Cyber Punk for, well Cyber Punk, Traveller for Space, and Chaosium's Cthulthu for horror. Though I always wanted to try Innomine and be an angel of the word "groovy". Course, that was right after J. G.'s death.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-08, 06:41 PM
There's a Red Dwarf game? That's wonderful.

Though, it probably could work under a lot of systems, being that it was mostly about humor.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-08, 06:57 PM
WARS RPG definitely, that's a great game. Sure it is Modern D20 fixed up a bit, but the setting and Kizen abilities are great. Its what I like to call "Realistic Future" - with aliens, but only two types and the humans far out number them. Basically its set that the very beginning of a 4 1/2 way war.

Swordguy
2007-11-09, 12:59 AM
Amber Diceless. Least broken game ever, since all there is is two people comparing their relevant attributes. Highest wins. Every time.

Otherwise (from stuff I've played):
Gamma World, Earthdawn, Renegade Legion (Interceptor, Prefect, Centurion, Leviathan, Legionarre), Crimson Skies, FATAL, Underground, Alternity, Ironclaw

Gralamin
2007-11-09, 01:06 AM
BESM 3rd Edition. I have yet to find a place to play this awesome thing.

Ulzgoroth
2007-11-09, 01:07 AM
Starship Troopers. Yep, there is a RPG based on the book/movie. I've wanted to play it ever since I found it on wikipedia. I haven't tracked it down yet though.
Which. One.
You cannot possibly be based on both.

I haven't gotten to actually play it yet, but Witchcraft, the original unisystem (not cinematic) game, looks nifty. And seems to have only a handful of mentions in the last 6 months that Google can find.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-11-09, 01:15 AM
Etherscope. Victoriana-punk, if you will.

I am intrigued by this idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Tell me more.

brian c
2007-11-09, 01:22 AM
Amber Diceless. Least broken game ever, since all there is is two people comparing their relevant attributes. Highest wins. Every time.

Otherwise (from stuff I've played):
Gamma World, Earthdawn, Renegade Legion (Interceptor, Prefect, Centurion, Leviathan, Legionarre), Crimson Skies, FATAL, Underground, Alternity, Ironclaw

Emphasis mine.

You actually played FATAL? I was under the impression that only a few people had ever read significant parts of the rulebook, much less play the game.

Swordguy
2007-11-09, 01:47 AM
Emphasis mine.

You actually played FATAL? I was under the impression that only a few people had ever read significant parts of the rulebook, much less play the game.

From the "RPGames you bought/played and Wish you Hadn't" thread.

No, it [ed - FATAL] exists. I actually rather liked it, despite it's Rolemaster-esque insistence on massive (d1000+) tables. Then again, I grew up on early D&D and Rolemaster, so I don't mind this so much. Others do.

Why would I like such a horrible, mysogynistic, overly violent game? Because it's a set of rules that allows one to accurately reflect nearly the full range of behaviors people are capable of displaying towards one another and have in fact displayed towards one another, both good AND bad (naturally, most people focus on the bad - specifically the fact that it has several detailed sections on sex and rape). It differs from other games in that it includes rules for such, rather than roleplaying guidelines or simply glossing over it (how do half-orcs come about again, hmmm?). It is impressive in that scope. If I had a gaming group mature enough to deal with that (I almost do - we've run BoEF campaigns before) it would be an interesting experience.

People make the mistake that a FATAL campaign must focus on sex. It is under no such compunction. It simply has the mechanics to portray such if the group chooses to engage in such. Just like any other game, it is what the GM and group makes of it.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-09, 12:18 PM
I am intrigued by this idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Tell me more.

Your wish is my command.

Shishnarfne
2007-11-09, 12:25 PM
I think that the Fading Suns system needs a little bit of recognition here. Uses mostly d20's and d6's (occaisional d10), and has a fair bit of background.