PDA

View Full Version : EK summon weapon

Sandeman
2021-02-22, 11:57 AM
Can an Eldritch Knight summon a crowbar with the weapon summoning power?
It could be useful to stroll in somewhere and the *woosh!* summon the crowbar for some criminal enterprise action.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-22, 11:58 AM
I don't think there is a crowbar in any weapon list. You would have to talk to your DM about homebrewing one.

With that out of the way, yes a EK can summon any weapon as long as they have taken the necessary steps to bind it to them.

Rev666
2021-02-22, 12:19 PM
I'd allow it.

Weapon Bond says it has to be a weapon; an improvised weapon is still technically a weapon. Bear in mind that you can only bond to 2 so you're losing 1 "slot" and basically getting a club you aren't proficient in so being able to have some utility with it seems a fair trade.

However don't go too silly with it. Bonding to a crowbar is not too ridiculous.

Going all jackie chan and bonding to a ladder while trying to argue that its an improvised bludgeoning polearm is taking it a bit far.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-02-22, 12:40 PM
It isn't out of the realm of possibility. Though if your trying to convene your DM you might fair better as refluffing a weapon to do this. Club might be the way to go, I guess.

JackPhoenix
2021-02-22, 03:25 PM
It's not RAW, but I would count it as a weapon. It's just heavy, unusually shaped club.

I've played both Half-Life games.

Arial Black
2021-02-22, 03:32 PM
In 'improvised weapon' is by definition NOT a 'weapon'.

If it were an actual weapon, then there would by NOTHING, no object in existence, that would not be a weapon, and the descriptor 'weapon' would be meaningless.

The fact that some things are weapons and some things are not weapons demonstrates that some things are not weapons!

The Improvised Weapon rule does not change what an object IS, it just lets you adjudicate what happens when you hit someone upside the head with an object that is NOT a weapon.

Verble
2021-02-22, 03:42 PM
One of my homebrew races each have access to a small extra dimensional pocket that they can store a few times in. It makes them good thieves, escape artists, and ambush fighters.

da newt
2021-02-22, 06:46 PM
My EK asked around town to buy a hack saw so that he could weapon bond to it just in case he ever got captured and needed to saw through some chain, manacles, bars ...

Rev666
2021-02-23, 12:51 AM
My EK asked around town to buy a hack saw so that he could weapon bond to it just in case he ever got captured and needed to saw through some chain, manacles, bars ...

Allow it but have his cellmate be an albino goblin with black hair and swirly red cheeks.

Tanarii
2021-02-23, 12:56 AM
Going all jackie chan and bonding to a ladder while trying to argue that its an improvised bludgeoning polearm is taking it a bit far.
If Slap-happy Jack the EK hits someone with a bonded cream-pie, can he re-summon it whole?

Zhorn
2021-02-23, 01:40 AM
It's one of those areas where RAF (rule as fun) should take precedence.
All weapons are objects =/= all objects are weapons, but the defining line between weapon and not-weapon isn't entirely clear.
As said above, a crowbar makes perfect sense as an improvised club or mace, and the process of making a sturdy forged metal tool is not entirely dissimilar from forging a metal weapon of similar size.

By RAW it isn't really well defined, and RAI on the matter is a 'no'
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/16/can-an-eldritch-knight-bond-to-a-shield-or-a-quiver/
but I say go with 'yes' under RAF.

How I would houserule Weapon Bond is you can bond at any object of similar size and complexity to any official weapon.
size range from a dagger to a greatsword/axe/maul (relative to wielder's size)
with a complexity range from a simple club up to that of a crossbow or flintlock musket
with the narrative justification that it's an instinctive form of magic and objects that are too big (relative to you) or too complex are hard to mentally grasp onto for establishing the bond.

Fable Wright
2021-02-23, 04:28 PM
If your GM refuses to give you an improvised crowbar as a magic item:

Purchase a metal club. Attach a crowbar head to it.

It's now a weapon that can be used as a crowbar, as opposed to a crowbar that can be used as a weapon. It is therefore Weapon Bondable.