PDA

View Full Version : speed demon build help

Amdy_vill
2021-02-22, 08:20 PM
ok, I want to make the fastest build possible. the most movement in a turn. I have the following limitations, no artifacts, no epic boons, no help from other players, no UA, Matt mercer published content is allowed, and magic items are ok but need to be separated from the build. I know tabaxi is the best race

Sherlockpwns
2021-02-22, 09:15 PM
Rogue 2 for cunning action.
Some way to cast or gain haste and longstrider.
At least 2 levels of monk.
1 mobile feat.

Alternatively or in addition, 2 levels of Druid.

I won’t calculate all the ways you can do this, but for the sake of the stupidity, and assuming your dm rules that the Tabaxi ability can be used while wild shaped...

A panther has a base speed of 50, which after all the bonuses above becomes a base speed of 80 if you only have 2 levels of monk. This is doubled to 160 from haste, and then you and your dm can argue if the tabaxi ability doubles it again to 320 or if it just adds 80. If your dm is insane, which they would be to let you do this at all, that is a move speed of 960 on turn 1.

There are faster builds out there if you can get boots of speed, and faster still if you are starting at level 20. The above concept can be done (with some rounds of setup) at level 8. So I like that it’s vaguely possible and not just level 20 with magic items theory. Of course you’ll be **** at everything else! Anyway, every time your monk adds 10 more ft you get to go 120 more ft as your continue to level.

Have fun out there Usain Bolt.

ATHATH
2021-02-23, 12:44 AM
Rogue 2 for cunning action.
Some way to cast or gain haste and longstrider.
At least 2 levels of monk.
1 mobile feat.

Alternatively or in addition, 2 levels of Druid.

I wonÂ’t calculate all the ways you can do this, but for the sake of the stupidity, and assuming your dm rules that the Tabaxi ability can be used while wild shaped...

A panther has a base speed of 50, which after all the bonuses above becomes a base speed of 80 if you only have 2 levels of monk. This is doubled to 160 from haste, and then you and your dm can argue if the tabaxi ability doubles it again to 320 or if it just adds 80. If your dm is insane, which they would be to let you do this at all, that is a move speed of 960 on turn 1.

There are faster builds out there if you can get boots of speed, and faster still if you are starting at level 20. The above concept can be done (with some rounds of setup) at level 8. So I like that itÂ’s vaguely possible and not just level 20 with magic items theory. Of course youÂ’ll be **** at everything else! Anyway, every time your monk adds 10 more ft you get to go 120 more ft as your continue to level.

Have fun out there Usain Bolt.
Replace the Druid levels with someone casting Wind Walk on you, which gives you a 300 ft. fly speed BEFORE all of those modifiers you listed. While you can't take most actions while in wind form, you can still take the Dash action, and the Dash action is all you'll need... Unless you're trying to pull off this stunt without any outside assistance, in which case you'll need a Necklace of Prayer Beads or the like to cast Wind Walk as a bonus action to avoid breaking your concentration on Haste.

Off the top of my head, (300 (wind walk)+25 (14 levels of monk)+10 (5 levels of barbarian)+15 (elk totem 1)+10 (mobile feat)+10 (longstrider))*2 (haste)*2 (dash main action)*2 (dash haste action)*2 (dash step of the wind action)*2 (tabaxi)=11,840 feet covered over the course of one round (6 seconds), or ~1,345.4545 miles per hour. Of course, you wouldn't be able to sustain that level of speed for more than 6 seconds at a time, but you can at least flex that you can move faster than the speed of sound (~767.269 miles per hour) without teleporting.

Note that the 14 levels of Monk, 5 levels of Barbarian, Totem Barbarian subclass, Mobile feat, and Longstrider mentioned in the above writeup are all unnecessary to exceed the speed of sound- a Tabaxi Rogue with a Druid buddy and a Wizard buddy (or even just a single Land Druid buddy) could reach a speed of 9,600 ft./round (or ~1,090 miles per hour).

ATHATH
2021-02-23, 01:28 AM
To clarify on why you'd need either outside help, a Glyph of Warding spell, or a Necklace of Prayer Beads (or the like) to combine Wind Walk and Haste on your own:
While Wind Walk isn't a concentration spell, transforming back into your normal form from your wind form (or vice versa) incapacitates you for a minute, which would break your concentration on Haste. You can't cast Haste while in wind form, as it's not a Dash action or an attempt to return to your normal form. Wind Walk normally has a one minute long casting time, which, per the rules on spells with longer casting times, would break your concentration on even an Extended casting of Haste.

There is at least one loophole, however- when you finish casting the Wind Walk spell (or have the Wind Walk spell cast on you), you and your targets are immediately put into wind form, without the normal minute long period of incapacitation that would normally come with that. Thus, if you can cast Haste, then cast Wind Walk as a bonus action using a Necklace of Prayer Beads (which self-recharge(s?) at dawn, by the way) while your Haste spell is still up, you can enter your wind form while still maintaining concentration on Haste.

Note that people who've received a casting of Wind Walk can return to their normal forms (and return to their wind forms) independently of each other, so if your Land Druid friend isn't the one who's receiving Haste/attempting the stunt, they can just cast Wind Walk on you and themself (unfortunately, you HAVE to include yourself in your list of targets when you cast Wind Walk), spend a minute to return to their normal form, and then cast Haste on you.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

LudicSavant
2021-02-23, 03:39 AM
Replace the Druid levels with someone casting Wind Walk on you, which gives you a 300 ft. fly speed BEFORE all of those modifiers you listed. While you can't take most actions while in wind form, you can still take the Dash action, and the Dash action is all you'll need... Unless you're trying to pull off this stunt without any outside assistance, in which case you'll need a Necklace of Prayer Beads or the like to cast Wind Walk as a bonus action to avoid breaking your concentration on Haste.

Off the top of my head, (300 (wind walk)+25 (14 levels of monk)+10 (5 levels of barbarian)+15 (elk totem 1)+10 (mobile feat)+10 (longstrider))*2 (haste)*2 (dash main action)*2 (dash haste action)*2 (dash step of the wind action)*2 (tabaxi)=11,840 feet covered over the course of one round (6 seconds), or ~1,345.4545 miles per hour. Of course, you wouldn't be able to sustain that level of speed for more than 6 seconds at a time, but you can at least flex that you can move faster than the speed of sound (~767.269 miles per hour) without teleporting.

Note that the 14 levels of Monk, 5 levels of Barbarian, Totem Barbarian subclass, Mobile feat, and Longstrider mentioned in the above writeup are all unnecessary to exceed the speed of sound- a Tabaxi Rogue with a Druid buddy and a Wizard buddy (or even just a single Land Druid buddy) could reach a speed of 9,600 ft./round (or ~1,090 miles per hour).

Not bad.

To eliminate the need for buddies, you could probably just be a Bard with tools like Simulacrum or Glyph of Warding if you need more Concentration. https://forums.giantitp.com/images/sand/icons/icon_thumbsup.png

You can also share buffs to a Greater Steed, too. Because why not?

Glamour Bard has the ability to make themselves, simulacrum, and the steed move with a bonus action, too. Could probably do something with that.

Amdy_vill
2021-02-23, 02:44 PM
Wizard buddy (or even just a single Land Druid buddy) could reach a speed of 9,600 ft./round (or ~1,090 miles per hour).

No friends remember I don't want to draw on party resources nad I will not always have the same party

Rukelnikov
2021-02-23, 03:39 PM

It's ok, but there are a couple things that don't work. IIRC, dashing doesn't double your speed, It gives you extra movement equal to your speed. Thus if you dash twice you don't move 4 times your usual speed, but only 3 times.

In your example you dashed 3 times and counted that as multiplying your speed by 8, it should have been by 4.

Also Elk doesn't work since it's an increase to your walking speed, and wind walk is a flying speed.

That would leave you with:

300 + 25 monk + 10 barb + 10 mobile + 10 longstreet = 355

* 4 (dash 3 times) * 2 (haste) * 2 (tabaxi) = * 16

5680 ft/round is just shy of the speed of sound, which would be 6752 ft per round. However it can be easily fixed, take 1 less lvl of monk and go for 2 ftr lbs, with the action surge you can dash once more, leaving us with

350 speed * 20 = 7000 ft/round

Which breaks the speed of sound barrier just barely (btw this is probably not the fastest you can go, but I don't wanna try to find just how fast that is right now)

Btw op, do you intend to actually be able do something while being fast, or are you just interested in being fast even if you can't do anything but move?

JNAProductions
2021-02-23, 03:41 PM
Vengeance Paladins turned into a Marilith can achieve arbitrarily high speeds, with enough opponents.

Not what you’re looking for, probably, but something to note.

JackPhoenix
2021-02-23, 04:24 PM
Vengeance Paladins turned into a Marilith can achieve arbitrarily high speeds, with enough opponents.

Not what you’re looking for, probably, but something to note.

Note: only when using Shapechange, you'll lose your class abilities otherwise.

JNAProductions
2021-02-23, 04:56 PM
Note: only when using Shapechange, you'll lose your class abilities otherwise.

Or if a Marilith was given levels in Vengeance Paladin!

But yes-you need to retain your abilities.

Segev
2021-02-23, 05:24 PM
I think the fey ranger from Tasha's gets a speed boost. Ranger would also get you longstrider.

sithlordnergal
2021-02-23, 05:51 PM
Lets see, with a build alone I'd go the following:

Race: Tabaxi

Build: Eldritch Knight Fighter 3 / Elk Totem Barbarian: 5 / Monk: 12

Feats: Mobile

Notable Spells: Longstrider, it boosts your speed by 10

---Magic Items---

Boots of Speed
Eagle Whistle*

So, thanks to Monk 12/Barbarian 5 and Mobile, you have a base walking speed of 60. If you cast Longstrider from Eldritch Knight, it increases to 70, and then you can Rage to boost it to 85 feet per round. Bonus points to Longstrider here for lasting an Hour with no Concentration. The next round you can use Tabaxi Speed to double that to 170ft, after which you can Move, Dash, Ki Point Dash as a Bonus Action, and Action Surge Dash for a grand total of 680ft in one round with no items and no outside assistance.

This following bit is if you have the Boots of Speed and Eagle Whistle:

Round 1: Cast Longstrider, activate Rage. Your speed should be 85 right now.

Round 2: Activate Boots of Speed with your Bonus Action, this should make your Walking Speed 170. Depending on how your DM interprets the Eagle Whistle, start blowing on it. That should give you a Fly speed equal to double your current Walking speed, meaning you can fly 340ft per round

Round 3: Activate Tabaxi Speed. The ability states "When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn", meaning it should work on your Climb speed, walking speed, and current Fly speed. Provided the DM let the Eagle Whistle work you now have a 680ft Fly speed.

You can now Move, Dash, Action Surge Dash, and Bonus Action Dash for a total movement of 2,720ft in one round. Congrats, you just literally went from 0 to about 308 MPH in 6 seconds, for 6 seconds. Rinse and repeat every other round, for a number of rounds equal to 5+Con Mod..

So, the Eagle Whistle is a really weird and busted item found in Tales from the Yawning Portal. It's also worded a bit awkwardly, so it is going to be up to DM interpretation on how it stacks with Boots of Speed. Specifically because the Boots of Speed doubles your Walking Speed, and the Eagle Whistle gives you a Fly speed equal to "twice as fast as your walking speed". However, that could mean your Fly speed is just equal to twice as fast as your base walking speed, or it could mean twice as your current walking speed. If it only doubles your base walking speed, then its useless, if it doubles your current walking speed then it lets you go nuts.

Additionally, the Eagle Whistle doesn't take an Action, Bonus Action, or Reaction to activate, it also does not require attunement. So yeah, there's also that. They decided to publish that in an official adventure, and I'm surprised AL Monks skip over this item.

ATHATH
2021-02-24, 01:38 AM
It's ok, but there are a couple things that don't work. IIRC, dashing doesn't double your speed, It gives you extra movement equal to your speed. Thus if you dash twice you don't move 4 times your usual speed, but only 3 times.

In your example you dashed 3 times and counted that as multiplying your speed by 8, it should have been by 4.

Also Elk doesn't work since it's an increase to your walking speed, and wind walk is a flying speed.

That would leave you with:

300 + 25 monk + 10 barb + 10 mobile + 10 longstreet = 355

* 4 (dash 3 times) * 2 (haste) * 2 (tabaxi) = * 16

5680 ft/round is just shy of the speed of sound, which would be 6752 ft per round. However it can be easily fixed, take 1 less lvl of monk and go for 2 ftr lbs, with the action surge you can dash once more, leaving us with

350 speed * 20 = 7000 ft/round

Which breaks the speed of sound barrier just barely (btw this is probably not the fastest you can go, but I don't wanna try to find just how fast that is right now)

Btw op, do you intend to actually be able do something while being fast, or are you just interested in being fast even if you can't do anything but move?
Aw hell, you're probably right. Does throwing in an Action Surge'd Dash action improve that speed significantly?

Nerdguy88
2021-02-24, 02:19 PM
Classes: Alchemist Artificer 14/Fighter 2/Wizard Bladesinger 2/Monk 2

Speed: 50(30+10 Mobile+10 Monk)

Alchemist Artificer for a few reasons. Artificer because you can make your own magic items included Boots of speed at level 14. The alchemist can also make a potion each day which he can drink to add +10 to his movement speed.

Drink a potion(+10 movement speed/Total:60), cast longstride(+10 movement speed/Total:70), activate bladesong(+10 movement speed/Total:80), double movement with your boots(Total:160), Double your movement with Tabaxi(Total:320).

Take your movement, use your action to dash, spend a Ki to use your bonus action to dash, and use action surge to use a third dash. If my math is correct you should be moving 1,280 feet in one round.

Edit: By this point you probably also have haste which I didn't factor into this.

+haste your speed is doubled one more time to 640. Making your total moved in a single round 2,560.

Edit Edit: I figured out how fast that would actually be. 2560 ft/6 seconds, 25,600 ft/Minute seconds 1,536,000 ft/hour which is 290MPH.

Nerdguy88
2021-02-26, 09:07 AM
I forgot to include Haste giving you an additional action to dash. The build above is faster than I thought.

640ft(movement)+640ft(Dash Action)+640ft(Dash Bonus Action Ki)+640ft(Dash from Action Surge)+640ft(Dash from Haste)
3200ft/6 Seconds
32000ft/1 minute
1,920,000ft/hour
363.63~ mph

Keravath
2021-02-26, 09:35 AM
If you just want a playable character with good reliable speed then a tabaxi monk with the mobile feat goes a long way. They can spend a ki point to dash as a bonus action when they really need the speed and if you have folks around to cast spells on you, you will go even faster.

If you want to go for land speed records you will need to add abilities from various classes but a mobile tabaxi monk will be fast compared to everyone else in a party from the very beginning.

Adding Boots of Speed will double your movement.

Add 5 levels of wizard (or other options like 6 levels of lore bard) to the monk levels to be able to cast haste and longstrider on yourself for extra speed (however, this makes the monk very MAD - int 13 or cha 13 required). Five levels of barbarian will give you an extra 10 feet of movement (str 13 required) but whether it is worthwhile depends on whether you want to build the fastest character or one that is both fast and fun to play.

Wind walk sounds cool for beating speed records but it is a 6th level spell and takes a minute to change into or out of cloud form.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-27, 07:21 PM
You want 7 levels of fighter (Psi Warrior) for Jedi Jump, which gives you a flight speed equal to double your walking speed. Combine with other sources of speed doubling (Tabaxi, haste, boots of speed) action surge to dash twice plus dash via haste's extra action for 4x movement. Then focus on getting your base movespeed as high as possible with things like barbarian levels, monk levels, Ranger levels, Mobile, Longstrider, Bladesinger, so on and so forth. Congratulations on breaking the sound barrier. Combine with a grappling build to make things very very silly (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624030-The-Hextuple-Psychic-Piledriver-Or-how-to-wield-THE-PLANET-as-a-20d6-weapon).

EDIT: The build in the above link isn't focused on pure speed, getting more levels in fighter than are necessary and not getting things like monk levels which would be very helpful. Even so, the build is capable of moving 5440 feet in a single round with move+dash+action surge dash+haste dash. That's 618 miles per hour. The top speed of a Boeing 747 is 614 mph. And you could do even better by tweaking it to serve your purposes.

moonfly7
2021-02-28, 09:54 AM
I built this once. I used a few things banned but it was crazy fast. It was also met with extreme prejudice by this website for some reason.
Anyways, on top of monk levels, you want to grab 2 levels fighter for action surge, granting an action and bonus action for which to dash(this interpretation is not held by every player, some tables have action surge give only the extra action). Then grab 2 levels wizard and go blade singer for +10 feet while bladesinging, grab 3 level spirit totem barbarian and go elk for +15 while raging. Then go 2 more levels barbarian so you can snag fast movement. There are some more options and calculations that I could use to give you the exact speed, but I am not fond of redoing the research and math and I cannot find my notebook with the info. Hope this helps.
Also, if your trying to move as fast as you can in one turn, tabaxi is best, but for just total permanent movement a centaur or Aracokra is better. Also keep in mind an Eberron orc could match the tabaxi speed so long as you move towards an enemy.

Keravath
2021-02-28, 01:57 PM
I built this once. I used a few things banned but it was crazy fast. It was also met with extreme prejudice by this website for some reason.
Anyways, on top of monk levels, you want to grab 2 levels fighter for action surge, granting an action and bonus action for which to dash(this interpretation is not held by every player, some tables have action surge give only the extra action). Then grab 2 levels wizard and go blade singer for +10 feet while bladesinging, grab 3 level spirit totem barbarian and go elk for +15 while raging. Then go 2 more levels barbarian so you can snag fast movement. There are some more options and calculations that I could use to give you the exact speed, but I am not fond of redoing the research and math and I cannot find my notebook with the info. Hope this helps.
Also, if your trying to move as fast as you can in one turn, tabaxi is best, but for just total permanent movement a centaur or Aracokra is better. Also keep in mind an Eberron orc could match the tabaxi speed so long as you move towards an enemy.

I probably shouldn't mention this but for any newer players reading this ... I would not want you to go off and argue with your DM that Action Surge gives both an action and a bonus action. It does not.

"ACTION SURGE
Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action."

PHB 189: "On your turn, you can move a distance up to your speed and take one action."

Action Surge, as written, only gives a character one additional action. Not a turn, not a bonus action, not a reaction, just one additional action. Action is relatively well defined in the PHB.

If a DM wants to use a house rule where action surge give an action and a bonus action then that is totally fine and is up to the DM to run their game how they wish.

However, there is no interpretation involved in this case, action surge clearly only gives the character an additional action.

P.S. As for setting land speed records ... an extra bonus action helps if the rules allowed it but speeds that fast are already pointless in practice when actually playing.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-28, 03:52 PM
The build I posted before uses outside help (Boots of Speed, Haste) and isn't optimized for this purpose, so here's my best-
I present Rainbow Dash the world's fastest pony.

Classes:
Fighter (Psi Warrior) 7
Monk 2
Ranger (Gloom Stalker) 3
Druid (Moon I guess but it doesn't actually matter) 2
Wizard (Bladesinger) 5

As a riding horse, you have a base speed of 60 feet. Monk adds 10 feet, Bladesinger adds 10 feet, Gloom Stalker adds 10 feet, Mobile adds 10 feet. Longstrider adds 10 feet Walking Speed is 110 feet.
Before you wildshape into a riding horse, you cast Haste on yourself, doubling your movement speed. Walking speed is now 220.
On your turn you'll be using your Tabaxi racial ability to double your movement speed again. Walking speed is now 440.
You will be using your bonus action to use Psi-Powered Leap to gain a flying speed double your walking speed: your flying speed is 880.
You will be using your regular movement, as well as dashing with your action, your action surge, and your haste action, moving four times: you move 3520 feet. 586.6666666666667 feet per second is 400 miles per hour.

Naturally you can do better than this with an allowance for items and outside spellcasting, but this meets your criteria as laid out in the OP.

HPisBS
2021-02-28, 05:04 PM
Druid (Moon I guess but it doesn't actually matter) 2
As a riding horse, you have a base speed of 60 feet....

Why stop there? Why not actually be able to fight while you're racing around? Sure, your way gets the highest total speed burst, but... you're a horse.

How about:

Tabaxi
Moon Druid 10
Transmutation Wizard 6
Monk 2
Rogue 2

Mobile Feat

- Moon Druids get to Wild Shape into an Air Elemental, giving you a base 90 ft fly speed.
- Transmuter's Stone for +10 ft
- Monk for +10 ft
- Rogue for free Dash / Disengage bonus action
- Mobile for +10 ft

At that point, you're already flying around with a 120 ft speed while Slamming things. But before transforming, you first cast Haste thanks to Wizard 6, doubling that to 240 ft. Double it again with your Tabaxi's agility for 480 ft (at the cost of staying still on your next turn.)

If you have to focus everything on speed for a turn, then you multiply that by 4 (normal move + normal action + haste action + cunning action) for a total of 1,920 ft.

Alternatively, Drunken Master Monk 4 instead of Rogue 2 for free Disengage and +10 walking speed when you FoB, (which you can do while Wild Shaped).

Or, you could take Druid to 12 instead and also be able to do the whole Wind Walk thing, while getting another ASI.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-28, 05:12 PM
Sure, your way gets the highest total speed burst, but... you're a horse.

Gotta go fast.

ATHATH
2021-02-28, 05:16 PM
If you're a horse anyway, can't you wear those magic horse shoes that increase a horse's movement speed?

Damon_Tor
2021-02-28, 05:31 PM
If you're a horse anyway, can't you wear those magic horse shoes that increase a horse's movement speed?

Yes, but the OP said no magic items. As I said, there are plenty of ways to go faster if you can assume some access to items and other casters.