PDA

View Full Version : Next D&D Book being announced February 23th 2021 & released May 18th (its Ravenloft C

Gyor
2021-02-23, 12:16 AM
Next D&D Book being announced February 23th 2021 & released May 18th (its Ravenloft Campaign Book)

I'll add links later.

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-23, 09:31 AM
(its Ravenloft Campaign Book) :smallyuk: I was hoping for better.
On the other hand, Ravenloft was very popular for a long time. I am trying to figure out how that fits into my needs for a group that will be mid Tier 2 or Early Tier 3 by then.

greenstone
2021-02-23, 05:54 PM
:smallyuk: I was hoping for better.

Same here. Apart from my belief that D&D is not a good system for gothic horror (or really any type of horror) I was hoping for something in the Forgotten Realms that is not the Sword Coast.

Lolzyking
2021-02-23, 07:02 PM
Only two confirmed subclasses so far, for bard and warlock, kind of hoped for more, especially for a ravenloft themed book.

Laserlight
2021-02-23, 08:09 PM
Apparently "The book will also include a lengthy section on setting safe boundaries to keep everyone comfortable at the table."

"Feel safe and comfortable" and "in Ravenloft" don't really seem to go together.

TyGuy
2021-02-23, 08:24 PM
Next D&D Book being announced February 23th 2021 & released May 18th (its Ravenloft Campaign Book)

I'll add links later.

I think it looks more like a setting book with a small adventure tacked on. I wouldn't call it a campaign book, i.e. campaign module.

TyGuy
2021-02-23, 08:25 PM
Only two confirmed subclasses so far, for bard and warlock, kind of hoped for more, especially for a ravenloft themed book.

Probably for the best considering the recent trend of poor play-testing and power creep.

Warder
2021-02-23, 08:30 PM
Apparently "The book will also include a lengthy section on setting safe boundaries to keep everyone comfortable at the table."

"Feel safe and comfortable" and "in Ravenloft" don't really seem to go together.

I think basic guidelines for how to run a good and welcoming table should be included in any RPG ruleset, but I think they're as malplaced in this book as they were in Tasha's. Placing them in a supplement is - imho - a waste of space. People who are knee-deep in supplements are already also knee-deep in actual D&D play, and for them that advice comes way too late. Stuff like that should be in Core, or failing that, available as free downloads.

Luccan
2021-02-23, 10:31 PM
I think basic guidelines for how to run a good and welcoming table should be included in any RPG ruleset, but I think they're as malplaced in this book as they were in Tasha's. Placing them in a supplement is - imho - a waste of space. People who are knee-deep in supplements are already also knee-deep in actual D&D play, and for them that advice comes way too late. Stuff like that should be in Core, or failing that, available as free downloads.

It should absolutely be available both in Core and as a free download, especially given the basic rules are free online. It's not necessarily bad to include them now since they weren't available at the start, but it's weird to have them available in two supplements and not at least have a free online version. My assumption would be that this will be in all books for the foreseeable future.