2021-02-23, 01:45 PM
Third draft:

Armor of Valor

2nd lv abjuration

- Casting Time: 1 bonus action
- Range: Self
- Components: V, S
- Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

A protective magical armor surrounds you and allows you to withstand moderate dangers. After you cast this spell choose two of the following benefits, you gain those benefits until the spell ends:

- You gain 5 temporary hit points at the beginning of each of your turns, which are lost when the spell ends.
- You gain a +2 bonus to AC.<
- You have advantage on Constitution saving throws.
- Your attacks deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit.

Armor of Glory

4th lv abjuration

- Casting Time: 1 bonus action
- Range: Self
- Components: V, S
- Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

A protective magical armor surrounds you and allows you to withstand glorious dangers. After you cast this spell you gain the following benefits until the spell ends:

- You gain 15 temporary hit points which are lost when the spell ends.
- You gain a +2 bonus to AC.
- You have advantage on Constitution saving throws.
- Your attacks deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit.

Classes to decide

Any suggestion to better balance it?

Menson
2021-02-24, 01:35 AM
Just notes for context:
Heroism: 1st level, Action, Bard/Paladin, Touch, [+5] temp hp per round, immune to fear
Shield of Faith: 1st, Bonus Action, Cleric/Paladin, 60ft range, +2AC
Divine Favor: 1st, Bonus Action, Paladin, 1d4 radiant

Is there a spell I don't know about that gives advantage on CON saves other than Foresight?

Stacking multiple effects on a single spell raises the spell level. It's like being able to concentrate on more than one spell, which is kind of what we want when we go for these multiple effects.

I'd cut the advantage on Con saves. Adding that to a spell diminishes the value of the War Caster feat, and it will lower the spell level.

Compare
Haste: Double speed, +2 AC, gain additional (limited) action.
Armor of (Valor): regenerating temp HP, +2AC, +1d4 radiant

They are actually similar in power in that there are three effects stacking. Comparing the value of each effect would be virtually impossible, it's so subjective, but I think I'd set the Spell level at 3rd for Armor of Valor. 15 temp hp regenerating each round will get out of hand for the DM. Aid scales, but it doesn't regenerate. Heroism scales targets. It's also an Action to cast, and that would be more balanced.

So, in summary:

Armor of Valor
3rd, Abjuration
Casting time: 1 ACTION
Range: TOUCH
Duration: Conc, 1 minute

- You gain 5 temporary hit points at the beginning of each of your turns.
- You gain a +2 bonus to the AC.
- When you hit a creature with an attack you deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage.
*At Higher Levels: you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 3rd.

* I started thinking about this more in relation to Haste, which can't be upcast, and probably for good reason.

Edit: I just saw that your version chooses two of those effects... my bad :smallbiggrin:

Trandir
2021-02-24, 04:48 AM
Edit: I just saw that your version chooses two of those effects... my bad :smallbiggrin:

Yup. Armor of valor is choose 2/4 while armor of glory just gives you all of the effects. The only difference between the effects is that glory gives you 3 turns worth of THP immediately which I think it's a bit better.

Edit I updated a bit the wording to make it more clear