PDA

View Full Version : Roy's Crown

roy_greenhilt
2007-11-08, 06:10 PM
Does anyone have an idea of what the crown on his necklace is for?

Jasdoif
2007-11-08, 06:13 PM
Roy took it from Xykon after he believed he'd defeated him. Said later he wanted to hand it down to his kids someday (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html).

T-O-E
2007-11-08, 06:13 PM
Have you only started reading?
And it's WAS for decorative purposes.

evileeyore
2007-11-08, 06:18 PM
Ummm.... read a few more comics. Trust me.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-11-08, 06:37 PM

It looks really cool. :smallwink:

Dragon_Keeper
2007-11-08, 06:38 PM
Did you start reading the comic in the middle? Go back to the start and read it again. When you get to #116, things should be made clearer

Elfanatic
2007-11-09, 09:08 AM
Pixie alarm! Where's my bugspray?

Just kidding. But next time, read the comics before asking people on the forums.

NerfTW
2007-11-09, 09:36 AM
Better yet, hit the button for the first comic and read from there before asking a question that would have been answered by the appearance of said crown.

You're one of those people that walk into a room in the last ten minutes of a movie and start going "HUH?!" loudly until someone pauses and explains the entire last two hours, aren't you?

Talyn
2007-11-09, 10:08 AM
Ok, guys, chill out, he's new. Seriously, you'd think no one had ever asked an innocent question before.

R_g, follow Jasdoif's link, it should explain everything. Glad to see another fan of the comic!

chrono
2007-11-09, 12:33 PM
Ok, guys, chill out, he's new. Seriously, you'd think no one had ever asked an innocent question before.

If you ask a question and it turns out that everybody on the forum knows the answer, it's a pretty clear indication you're doing something wrong.

NerfTW
2007-11-09, 01:58 PM

This isn't an innocent question. This is like asking "Who's the bald guy in the blue shirt in all those heaven strips?", or "Why is Haley talking gibberish?". Clearly, the answer is to read the comic normally, and not out of order.

Jasdoif
2007-11-09, 02:12 PM
This isn't an innocent question. This is like asking "Who's the bald guy in the blue shirt in all those heaven strips?", or "Why is Haley talking gibberish?". Clearly, the answer is to read the comic normally, and not out of order.There's no need to be antagonistic. Besides, it's not like everyone can remember everything that happened all the time.

DreadSpoon
2007-11-09, 07:40 PM
There's no need to be antagonistic. Besides, it's not like everyone can remember everything that happened all the time.

Then he should reread the comic. Daily. Just like I do. His laziness is irresponsible!

(fire angry retorts from people who can't recognize a joke in 3... 2... 1...)

AstralFire
2007-11-09, 10:20 PM
This isn't an innocent question. This is like asking "Who's the bald guy in the blue shirt in all those heaven strips?", or "Why is Haley talking gibberish?". Clearly, the answer is to read the comic normally, and not out of order.

If you read the comic in one lump (as is common when catching up on an archive) many details can quickly slip your mind. It's an innocent question, and it's not about Miko, Eugene, or Therkla.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-09, 10:24 PM
Today is a miraculous day ladies and gentlemen. Lord Butters I visited a dumb thread without getting angry and/or posting a link to an insulting (yet funny) site.

Oh wait, I said this was dumb in my saying that I'm not saying it's dumb. Oh well. This thread is a waste of bandwidth and you should finish reading the comic before comming to the forums! And for the love of god make an original username!

faerwain
2007-11-10, 06:54 AM
You're one of those people that walk into a room in the last ten minutes of a movie and start going "HUH?!" loudly until someone pauses and explains the entire last two hours, aren't you?

With the little difference that all inconvienence we had are around 5 seconds to read his question.

Really, he missed something in his first excitement. He got helpful answers and some good-humoured mockering,that's cool, but what's the point about getting hostile?

And it looks like I somehow missed the election where we made Lord Butters the forum's bouncer.

Tal9922
2007-11-10, 07:42 AM
it looks like I somehow missed the election where we made Lord Butters the forum's bouncer.

I would vote for him :smalltongue:

geekyhedgehog
2007-11-10, 08:29 AM
This thread is a waste of bandwidth and you should finish reading the comic before comming to the forums! And for the love of god make an original username!
Hear, Hear!

Or at least get an avatar that works!

Emperor Ing
2007-11-10, 08:38 AM
guys, guys, friends, calm down. There are worse, dumber questions
What is Belkar's Alignment?

AstralFire
2007-11-10, 10:16 AM
This all strikes me as the same sort of unnecessary hostility that is far too characteristic of GameFAQs boards - albeit with better spelling than I typically see.

Spiky
2007-11-10, 11:50 AM
albeit with better spelling than I typically see.

Dear God!! I weep uncontrollably.

Jayabalard
2007-11-10, 12:37 PM
If someone asks a question and it turns out that everybody on the forum knows the answer, and you flame them for asking that question, it's a pretty clear indication you're doing something wrong.

Have you only started reading?
And it's WAS for decorative purposes.This seems like a really appropriate forum name... good choice

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-10, 12:49 PM
This is nothing. If you've seen me at Bungie.net (same username) I go out of my way to flame morons (but everyone there does, the community attitude is pretty much the exact opposite of here's). Here I just speak my mind, and if that involves getting angry at stupid people than so be it.

EdgarVerona
2007-11-10, 01:10 PM
Hey, be nice to the guy. In his defense, there's a crapload of comics that he has to catch up on in order to be here. He may just not have time to do that much reading.

When I first started in OOtS, it was at about issue 200. Took me a couple of hours to parse through the prior comics, and even THEN I still missed a lot of information that'd be considered basic knowledge to most of the people who were here from the start (like my incorrect belief that Roy's dad died permanently from Xykon).

Just roughly estimating, I'd assume it'd take me more than twice that long to skim through if I just started today, and I'd probably have questions much like his about the crown because if you're tearing through them you miss some important stuff sometimes.

I have no idea if he reads faster/slower than me, but it's not a quick task to get caught up on this gigantic series. Cut him some slack.

faerwain
2007-11-10, 01:13 PM
Good to know that your Highness doesn't let small things like patience or politeness get in the way of feeling important.

Here I just speak my mind, and if that involves getting angry at stupid people than so be it.
But don't expect applause for lack of self control.

Do you really need to boost your self confidence by shouting at new ones because they missed something?

(And I just let the irony of someone who is still excited about the ancient kitty sniper complaining about unimaginative usernames sink in.)

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-10, 01:14 PM
My issue with the guy is that he came to the OotS forum before reading all of the OotS strips. Why bother comming to a forum where we talk about the latest stuff in a comic if you're not done with the comic?

EdgarVerona
2007-11-10, 01:21 PM

My issue with the guy is that he came to the OotS forum before reading all of the OotS strips. Why bother comming to a forum where we talk about the latest stuff in a comic if you're not done with the comic?

I think it was a bit premature to berate the kid before knowing what's really going on. Maybe he just missed it, or maybe he hasn't had the hours of free time available yet to catch up, and yet he has a pressing plot question that his only alternative to asking on the forums is to spend those hours of free time to do the catch up.

Yes, it is reasonable to ask someone to read the comics in the future so they can get these questions out of the way. But I think immediately slamming him for it is rough dealing. People have lives, and even people who have the time to read it will occasionally miss critical information. It just happens, we all roll a 1 on our reading comprehension sometimes. Or our dog runs out the front door while we're in the middle of a critical plot point. Or a plane flies into our house as we're getting to the battle with Xykon.

Whatever it is, he happened to miss it (or hasn't had the time to read it yet), and the suggestion for him to read it is good, but the abuse he's taking because of it isn't good in my opinion.

Anyways, to summarize...

If you ask a question and it turns out that everybody on the forum knows the answer, it's a pretty clear indication you're doing something wrong.

No. it's a clear indication that you're new. And if we want more people in our community, we should be more tolerant of those who are new. That's just my opinion on the matter, but I think we should all think about it. We were all new at one point... it's just that some of us were at that point so early on that it didn't take a whole day (when most of us have better things to do) to catch up.

faerwain
2007-11-10, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I can understand what you mean, but still two objections:

1. We do (obviously) not only talk about the brand new things here.
He is new, he had a question, he asked the experienced ones. That's what a forum is for, isn't it?

2. My main complain was simply the attitude you showed. We don't fill registrations quizzes, people join the forum when they like. And it's definetively not your job to shout "get out and do your research first" at them.

But I think EdgarVerona summarized it up good, only more eloquently than me.

AstralFire
2007-11-10, 02:47 PM

As a fellow Pixie, I have read every strip - the strips from 347 on, I've read twice. (I started at 347 when I was linked to it, read to the end, went back to the beginning, read to the end.)

If you suddenly grabbed me and had gone "QUICK! WHAT'S ROY'S CROWN FOR?!" I wouldn't have been able to tell you if my life had depended on it.

Reading all of the archives in a single lump means that some things are likely to slip your memory. People forget stuff. They're human. This is totally not the right way to treat a newbie, on this or any other board.

See this post? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42127) No, you're not flaming. You're not remotely flaming. But do you know how a community gets its happy "let's not flame unnecessarily!" attitude? Well, it starts with cutting people some slack when they aren't on the top of their game. Because it happens to everyone.

daggaz
2007-11-10, 03:09 PM

What, suddenly you are a psychic mind reader? How do you know he didn't read the comic? It was one detail in a webcomic that spans 500 pages now. He could easily, as others have mentioned, have simply missed that detail, or forgotten, or got hit in the head with a heavy object immediately after the reading and understanding, or maybe, maybe he was just really, really drunk the day he read that strip?!

My issue with Lord_Butters_I is that he came to the OotS forum before reading the entire RULES section. (sorry cant find the spoiler button)

Flaming
Any poster that openly attacks, insults, belittles, or abuses another poster will have their offending post modified and an Infraction issued to them. You can be critical of another poster's viewpoint in a debate, even going as far as to explain why you believe them to be mistaken and backing your points up with rules quotes as appropriate, but the moment your criticism extends to the person who posted that viewpoint, it has crossed the line.

Specific things you cannot do on this message board that might be allowed elsewhere:
Tell a poster to shut up or to stop posting on the current thread.
Name calling, including terms obviously meant in a pejorative sense such as "troll" or "fanboy"
Use passive-aggressive insults, such as "Anyone who believes that is an idiot," or "I'd call you an idiot, but it's against the rules." Yeah, we know that technically, you didn't call him or her an idiot, but guess what? It's still not allowed.
Harassment of other posters, such as repeatedly following them from thread to thread to dispute them, personally.
Tell a poster that they clearly didn't read what you wrote. Alternately, any statement that implies that the only way someone could disagree with you is because they don't understand you/can't read properly is likewise not allowed.
Responding in kind to a poster who has flamed you. Please inform a Moderator via PM and wait for the offending post to be scrubbed or deleted. Remember, the more they flame, the deeper a hole they dig for themselves, but don’t spur them on.
Belittling people who care more about roleplaying than mechanics.
Belittling people who care more about mechanics than roleplaying.
Putting down or insulting ANY play preference, including (but not explicitly limited to) choice of game system, choice of preferred levels, classes, or races, choice of setting, choice of power level, etc. You cannot call another poster a munchkin or make any other disparaging remarks about how they like to play the game. You can express your own preference, you can express why you don't care for their preference, but you can't put someone down for feeling differently.
Belittling or putting down anyone or their opinions based on post count, member rank, or how long they have been a member.
Posting insults or slurs based on anyone's race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, or sexual orientation is a Permanent Infraction (see below).
We run a much tighter ship when it comes to flaming than many other places you might post. We have tried to create a place where people can have discussions about gaming and other topics without the rampant personal attacks prevalent at other RPG boards. If you find you are incapable of participating in a debate without resorting to attacking your opponent instead of his position, our suggestion is that you find another board to post at.

Please don't come to this forum and abuse people for asking simple questions. And certainly, dont expect us to be supportive of your use of another forums' ruleset here.

ysp
2007-11-10, 03:18 PM
So if we already have a form about the crown do you think it there for more then just decorative purposes and that the crown happened to belong to the guy that is the reason for this whole adventure? I mean do you think it may be magical or something like that?

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-10, 04:57 PM
*sigh* The crown once belonged to Eugine's old mentor, his name escapes me. It has no magical power, Xykon stole it because he thought it looked cool. Xykon killed [subjectnamehere] and animated him as a zombie. Eugine swore revenge in the form of a blood oath. He looked for Xykon for a while, then gave up, dispite being told where he was and how to kill him by someone who I will not name for fear of spoiling SoD. Eugine then passed on the oath to Roy, who then found Xykon and killed him. However, Xykon regrew and Roy took the crown. Above Azure City abord Xykon's dragon, Xykon took the crown back and explained that the entire fieasco was caused by his thinking the crown looked cool.

ysp
2007-11-10, 05:33 PM
I was joking about the pat of it being magical, but do you think it's really only because Xykon looks like a real badass with it? And why would Master Fyron have it anyway? Just because it's "really cool"?

faerwain
2007-11-10, 05:48 PM
:smallbiggrin: Okay, Lord Butters, fighting aside, credit where credit is due: Good work of summarizing it.

@ysp: You can never be sure with the Giant, and I'm also wondering if there might be a surprise with the crown in the future, but as far as we know at the moment, the crown really only "looks badass".

Gales
2007-11-10, 06:06 PM
I believe that the crown is damn valuable. Maybe not magical, but it could be part of something... bigger...

Elfanatic
2007-11-10, 06:11 PM
@ysp: You can never be sure with the Giant, and I'm also wondering if there might be a surprise with the crown in the future, but as far as we know at the moment, the crown really only "looks badass".

Correction: the crown looks REALLY badass (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html). :smallwink:

Balgus
2007-11-11, 01:35 AM
guys, guys, friends, calm down. There are worse, dumber questions
What is Belkar's Alignment?Yeah!!! like why does Roy have one large boot?... oh wait - thats perspective... in a stick sort of way.

cheesecake
2007-11-12, 12:08 PM
doesn't the crown make those who where it come up as evil when detect evil is cast?

Crimson Avenger
2007-11-12, 01:18 PM
Yeah, but it radiates EVIL because it was in the presence of evil for such a long time. If you look at auras in D&D, strong auras can linger for awhile before they disapate, and LICH would count as a strong aura. Rich is tapping into a seldom bothered with mechanic there.

cheesecake
2007-11-12, 07:00 PM
Yeah, but it radiates EVIL because it was in the presence of evil for such a long time. If you look at auras in D&D, strong auras can linger for awhile before they disapate, and LICH would count as a strong aura. Rich is tapping into a seldom bothered with mechanic there.

I honestly never read about that in D&D...probably because I rarely DM, I prefer being a PC. I'll have to tell my DM about that...be fun to mess with the dood who always plays a Pally :0-D

VetMichael
2007-11-12, 07:56 PM

R_g, follow Jasdoif's link, it should explain everything. Glad to see another fan of the comic!

Yeah! to paraphrase Elan "don't be meany-mean heads! The crown ALSO has another purpose: to convince Miko of Roy's evil alignment, thus forwarding the get-to-AC plotline, and I am certain its importance will crop up again.

Jasdoif
2007-11-12, 09:18 PM
I was joking about the pat of it being magical, but do you think it's really only because Xykon looks like a real badass with it? And why would Master Fyron have it anyway? Just because it's "really cool"?SoD spoiler:The crown was in a case in Fyron's library, where he sometimes held public tours. That's where Xykon stole it from...and where Fyron tried to stop the theft, and ultimately failed.It could be an item of significance to magic lore, a trophy from a long quest he'd undertaken, or even the focus of some exotic spell. Or maybe it does just look impressive. Can't say for sure either way.

I honestly never read about that in D&D...probably because I rarely DM, I prefer being a PC. I'll have to tell my DM about that...be fun to mess with the dood who always plays a Pally :0-DSuch auras don't normally transfer to items like that; they usually only linger around the location of their source. That said, it does make for a nice literary touch.

Rethorn
2007-11-12, 09:37 PM
*sigh* He looked for Xykon for a while, then gave up, dispite being told where he was and how to kill him by someone who I will not name for fear of spoiling SoD. ... Above Azure City abord Xykon's dragon, Xykon took the crown back and explained that the entire fieasco was caused by his thinking the crown looked cool.

Despite. Aboard. Fiasco.

[Scrubbed]

The Extinguisher
2007-11-12, 09:53 PM
Auras radiate for a very short amount of time, compared to the very long time that Roy had the crown, and how strong the aura was.

Shall we see:
- Leaving Redmountain Hills
- Journeying to the village
- Questing for Starmetal
- Weeks of carrying up Dragon loot.
- However long until Miko was there.

Even assuming the evil aura died after Miko dectected it (not likely), that's still a long time for an evil aura.

It'll probably be important.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-13, 10:52 AM
Auras radiate for a very short amount of time, compared to the very long time that Roy had the crown, and how strong the aura was.

Shall we see:
- Leaving Redmountain Hills
- Journeying to the village
- Questing for Starmetal
- Weeks of carrying up Dragon loot.
- However long until Miko was there.

Even assuming the evil aura died after Miko dectected it (not likely), that's still a long time for an evil aura.

It'll probably be important.

Plus Xykon has been "recharging" it for the past three months. :smallwink:

VetMichael
2007-11-13, 03:36 PM
Plus Xykon has been "recharging" it for the past three months. :smallwink:

OR

It could be an evil-aligned, sentient artifact - and I mean ARTIFACT - and that's why Xykon stole it, why it was kept by Eugene's master, and why it still radiates EVIL.

I think the corwn is the one plotting with assassins and manipulating Kabuto :smallbiggrin: