PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Revised Great Old One (warlock patron)

Greywander
2021-02-23, 06:42 PM
I love the flavor of the GOOlock, and I actually really like the utility of the Awakened Mind feature, but almost all of the other GOOlock features are a bit lackluster, especially next to some of the newer warlock patrons. So I thought I'd try my hand at coming up with a revised version.

Awakened Mind
Mostly the same, with two differences:

The Telepathic feat gets an extra bullet point that allows it to extend any telepathy you already have by 30 feet.
This feature gains a secondary effect:

Furthermore, your mind can now peak behind the veil into alien dimensions. You will occasionally catch glimpses of bizarre and alien entities, or hear strange and unknown sounds. You can also create and perceive secret marks that are invisible to most creatures. As an action, you may touch a surface or object and create a symbol or series of symbols that cover up to a 5 foot square (you may create larger symbols by using several actions). These symbols are invisible except to creatures with truesight or an Awakened Mind. To remove a symbol, you must expend a pact magic slot which can remove symbols covering up to a 10 foot square. Otherwise, the symbols are permanent.

Alien Angles (Replaces Entropic Ward)

Beginning at 6th level, you learn forbidden knowledge that allows you to enter alien dimensions by moving into a corner at precise angles. As a bonus action, you may teleport from one corner to another corner within 30 feet. Traveling through the alien dimensions puts a strain on your mind, dealing 1d6 psychic damage to you each time you teleport this way. A corner needs to meet specific requirements in order for it to be used as a gateway to or from the alien dimensions:

The corner is the meeting point of at least three surfaces, such as two walls and a floor.
The angles between adjacent surface are no more than 135 degrees and no less than 45 degrees.
One edge is at least 5 feet long, while the other two edges are at least 2 feet long.

Additionally, as an action, you may expend a spell slot or pact magic slot to travel from one corner to any other corner you have seen that is on the same plane as you, and to bring other creatures with you. You and any creatures you bring with you take 1d8 psychic damage per mile traveled, rounded up. Using a 3rd level slot, you can only travel by yourself this way. If you expend a slot of 4th level or higher, you may bring 4 additional creatures for each slot level above 3rd.

Thought Shield
Unchanged, synergizes with the new Alien Angles feature.

Create Thrall
This feature gains a new component:

Your thrall can willingly participate in a ritual that takes 8 hours to complete and consumes 100 gp worth of components. Upon completing the ritual, you share your maddening secrets with the thrall, strengthening your bond with them. The charm placed on your thrall can only be removed if the thrall willingly allows it to be, or if a wish spell is used, and the charm no longer ends if you create a new thrall.

Basically, if the thrall is willing, you can do a ritual to make them a permanent thrall, allowing you to make a second thrall. Or a third. Or fourth. Etc. This is your cult-building tool. Because the charm effect isn't actually that strong, you do still need to convince the thrall that performing the ritual is something they want to do. You still need to use plain old social manipulation, but charm and the telepathy both make it easier. And then, once you have a network of telepathically connected thralls in important places... If you can convince them to do the ritual, you can probably also convince them to foot the bill.

Anyway, how does this look? I also considered a feature to make Mind Sliver a viable alternative to EB, but wasn't sure if that would be too much.