PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Activating a Magic Item while maintaining a grapple

Learn34
2021-02-23, 07:03 PM
By my reading of the SRD, once the grappling state has been established, it requires no further action on my part to maintain it. As such, I could activate a magic item without automatically letting someone I've grappled escape. Correct?

denthor
2021-02-23, 07:11 PM
Depending on the magic item.

A ring. Necklace, boots 👢 of flying, cloak(so long as your not trying to magical move dimension door or teleport the unwilling) helm sure no problem.

Drinking a potion, oil or anything involving your hand to manipulate no.

Learn34
2021-02-23, 07:27 PM
Yeah this one's just a Cmd-word activation item of Balor Nimbus. Cool beans.

Vaern
2021-02-23, 07:51 PM
"You can activate a magic item, as long as the item doesn’t require a spell completion trigger. You don’t need to make a grapple check to activate the item."
Spell completion items are defined as being like a spell stored in item form and primarily refers to scrolls.
Spell trigger items like wands, use-activated items like potions, continuous passive effects, and command word activated effects appear to all be fair game. Based on this bit of the grapple rules, at any rate.

Learn34
2021-02-24, 12:48 PM
Again: I knew I could activate the item in a grapple. I just wanted to double check that I don't have to burn my standard action each round just to maintain the grapple. This is for a PC-NPC and I'm trying to figure out a baseline set of tactics. The goal is to activate the item after grappling one of my players without automatically allowing that player to escape.