PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Fortitude feat to activate Bloodwell Vial in combat - gimmicky or worthwhile?

Asmerv
2021-02-23, 10:36 PM
Tasha's adds a new Sorcerer item, Bloodwell Vial. In addition to boosting spell To Hit and DC, it lets the user gain 5 sorcery points when using a Hit Die per long rest.

Dwarven Fortitude half-feat allows spending a Hit Die in combat by taking the Dodge action.

Ignoring any possible race restrictions, if you had a Bloodwell Vial as a Sorcerer, would grabbing the feat be worthwhile investment?

A good use case I could think of was the Life Cleric 1/Divine Sorc X build. For a mid-combat pick me up you can Dodge, gain some HP and cast healing word and gain 5 SP, quite a boost. Plus, it works well with Dodge + Spirit Guardians if that is part of your strategy.

Dork_Forge
2021-02-23, 11:41 PM
As long as you have the Quickened Spell metamagic it seems like a pretty great once a day tactic and with the Tasha's rules you can be a Dwarf of your choice.

AttilatheYeon
2021-02-24, 12:11 AM
Hmmm, this has a lot of potential.

Contrast
2021-02-24, 03:28 AM
Feels like a gimmick to me.

It gets slightly more potential for efficient sorc point usage I guess but you're getting those 5 sorc points through the course of the day and it still costs you an action. I don't think its worth an otherwise substandard feat.

AvangionQ
2022-01-22, 01:43 PM
Yes, this works as intended, but still only once a day. Rather than getting your five sorcery points back during a short rest, you get them back mid-combat.
#DNDshorts has a followup you might enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ari3sqi4VMk

Bobthewizard
2022-01-22, 04:14 PM
It could work ok in tier 1 and early tier 2 when you might run out of SP before you get a chance to rest. But even then that is unusual. At higher levels, you almost always should be able to get enough rests to regain the 5 SP just with a short rest.

I think it works as you described, but having played a sorcerer with a bloodwell vial, I never felt like I needed replenish that 5SP before a rest.

Unoriginal
2022-01-22, 04:57 PM
If you're a Dwarf Monk with Dwarven Fortitude, you can Dodge as a bonus action and heal with your hit dice.

Could combo with this, maybe.

Dork_Forge
2022-01-22, 06:52 PM
If you're a Dwarf Monk with Dwarven Fortitude, you can Dodge as a bonus action and heal with your hit dice.

Could combo with this, maybe.

Grabbing 2-3 levels of Monk on a Sorc build would be interesting, you can use Mage Armor or Dragon Sorc to deal with lack of Wis, and 2-3 Ki per short rest is plenty when you're primarily using it to activate a once per day schtick or ramp up your defenses in a pinch.

Quietus
2022-01-23, 02:32 AM
Could be used on a divine soul sorc mountain dwarf? Do the whole dodge/spirit guardians dance, and use the SP gained to recover the spell slot used on spirit guardians. You'll be running with medium armor, and could get heavy with a feat... might be better to go with a different dwarf and spend the same feat on moderately armored instead, though, to get shield proficiency.

Kane0
2022-01-23, 02:37 AM
Sounds really niche, i wouldnt make a build revolving around it