PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Palabard who dual wields whips - optimal use of dual wielder feat, and 30 AC!

whateew
2021-02-24, 09:34 AM
I've built a funky nimble smiting bard, (sword bard 6+, paladin 2) and I wanted to get some other's thoughts on if it works, if it would be competitive, and what you would do differently. This is my first time posting here, so please do give me a heads up if I get some ettiquette wrong :smallredface:

This is quite a wall of text; I have split it into sections, each with a TL:DR to look at if you are interested.

A general summary: the sword bard gets a bonus to movement speed every time they attack. Coupled with a whip and some character building, we'll have a full-caster smiter who is almost impossible for melee enemies to catch. I will first talk about the general idea of the build (which is definitely not revolutionary!), but I'd also like to go into some detail about key decision points and I'd love your thoughts - especially about what I think may be the first example I've seen of an optimal dual wielder feat!

SECTION ONE - TL:DR - With a woold half elf and some optimal building, you will routinely get 45ft (or 55 with strider) of move per round with reach, full caster smite slots, and flourishes for bonus damage as well as divine favour. At peak performance (requiring no set up!), you can deal 62.5 damage in a round without exposing yourself to melee damage.

For starters, we will take the wood half elf from SCAG (assuming point buy) for 16 Dex 16 Cha 14 Con 13 Str to let us multiclass without sacrificing hit points or con saves. We will take 6 levels in swords bard, and then 2 in paladin for smite.
The sword bard's flourishes let you get 10ft extra move on any turn where you attack - coupled with 5ft from the wood elf, we are 50% faster than the average humanoid. Add longstrider onto that if you so choose, and its almost as if we are dashing every turn, without bonus action usage or concentration.
To make maximum use of this, I thought using the whip would be ideal - with this we can run up to 25ft towards someone to full-caster smite them with reach, and use the remaining move to move too far away for them to respond without risking opportunity attacks. The sword bard is very well suited to this - not only do they get the dueling fighting style to help with the poor whip damage, but they also have a psuedo-disengage with a knockback effect. Adding on a divine favour / spirit shroud / tenser's transformation to this as well as lots of spell slots, our whip doesn't seem so pitiful anymore.
With this, we have a very respectable damage output (I think!) - at 7th level, assuming a +2 dex ASI and a bonus action casting of divine favour, we can deal 2 sets of 1d4 whip + 1d4 divine favour + 6 damage, with two smites (dealing from 4d8 to 10d8 damage!). At peak performance, we will deal 4d4 + 12 + 9d8, or 62.5 damage! Not bad for someone who moves at 55ft per round with reach I think. At this level, your average shortbow rogue deals 5d6 + 4 damage on a good turn, while the minimum our whippersnapper gets is 4d4+ 12 + 4d8 if they smite with a 1st level slot - and this does not consider a crit smite, or a fiend who takes a bonus 2d8!

SECTION TWO - TL:DR This build has impressive AC with a small multiclass, reliably hitting 30 AC at level 11, but by dual wielding we can deal even more optimal damage for 82.5 in a round at level 8

This isn't too difficult to organise - Bards can learn longstrider to reliably have high speed, and if you begin battles with your whip sheathed and shield out, you can bonus action divine favour and get straight to smiting! Further, this build has very respectable AC; 16 AC in studded leather +2 AC from a shield +1 from defense (paladin) reaches a respectable 19 AC, more than a dwarven monk! But it goes further; with 1 level in a draconic sorcerer, we have 21 AC at 20 dex, with shield as a reaction on top of this. If you are patient, you can receive defensive dualist for a higher bonus sans spellslot usage, and if you have magic armour you can forgo this dip all together.

If 26 AC is not enough for you, as a sword bard you can spend inspiration to add your inspiration die to your AC of (on average, for a d8) 30, and up to 38 at high levels without magic items: Very tanky! We are 2 levels behind on bounded accuracy, but such is!

So, it looks like our build is as follows. Our bard takes longstrider, dueling (level 3), dex +2, and extra attack. Next, they take 2 levels in paladin for shields, smites, and whips. They then take 2+ levels in bard and 1 in draconic sorcerer.

However, I think this is not strictly optimal; with the help of dual wielding, we can push this further. Taking twf at level 3 and dual wielder at level 4, our bard, at the cost of an ASI, now has significantly better DPR. Each attack with out whip deals marginally less damage (3 less!), but I think the bonus attack more than makes up for this. Given one slow turn to set up divine favour where we deal 6 less damage than our dueling counterpart, we now have 3 sets of attacks each dealing 1d4 (whip) + 1d4 (divine favour) + 3 + smite damage; 6d4 + 9 damage, with one additional smite per round. While not sustainable, this should rapidly outpace our other bard in damage in the short term; since most fights aren't brutal slogs, this is valuable - 1st level slots allow 6d4 + 6d8 + 9 damage, or 51 damage; at max, our bard burns a 4th level slot and 2 3rd level slots for a disgusting 6d4 + 13d8 + 9, or 82.5 damage!

This is of course less than if they were dual wielding rapiers, but remember that this is done at reach with a terrifying 55ft move speed; what is impressive is not so much the DPR, but the fact that melee brutes will not be able to give chase easily (especially with those boots that double your speed!) You could achieve the same effect with PAM, but you lose out on the chance to have defensive dualist as final feat, as well as you high, high initiative and DEX saves, for around 6 damage per round.

Compared to the whip-and-shield, you lose one AC and one ASI in the short term to get this online sooner, but you can make up for this with future ASI's. For one extra attack, this seems like a great gain.

CONCLUDING NOTES

I think this build seems both really fun, and fairly optimal; however, this is also my first time! Please, share your thoughts; what do you think, is this build a good use of whips, bards and paladins? It also seems to me like the dual wielder feat (which I often see get called useless) has a quite impactful use here, allowing ranged extra attacks; while not optimised for DPR, I feel this is still a highly competitive build that trades a small amount of damage for a lot of manouvreability, and I think it is well worth the trade. Do you think so too? And what magical secrets would you recommend such a bard get (aside from tensers/guardian of nature and elven accuracy to be an absolute monster at higher levels!)

Sigreid
2021-02-24, 09:44 AM
Are you using the Draconic sorcerer's natural armor rating? If so, that's a separate calculation that cannot be combined with armor. I'm trying to figure out how your AC calculation works.

whateew
2021-02-24, 09:48 AM
Are you using the Draconic sorcerer's natural armor rating? If so, that's a separate calculation that cannot be combined with armor. I'm trying to figure out how your AC calculation works.

Draconic sorcerer with 20 DEX = 20 AC. Add defense for +1, and shield for +5. Then, defense flourish adds an average 4.5= rounds to 30, reliably (if you hoard inspiration)

It can get a lot higher with magic items too!

x3n0n
2021-02-24, 09:55 AM

I think it's
12 (studded) + 5 (Dex) + 2 (a shield) + 1 (Defense FS) = 20
and
13 (draconic sorc) + 5 (Dex) + 2 (a shield) + 1 (Defense FS) = 21, plus per-casting +5 (shield spell)

Use of Dual Wielder downgrades the "a shield" to +1.
Use of a different Paladin fighting style would remove the associated +1.

Sigreid
2021-02-24, 09:57 AM
Draconic sorcerer with 20 DEX = 20 AC. Add defense for +1, and shield for +5. Then, defense flourish adds an average 4.5= rounds to 30, reliably (if you hoard inspiration)

Ok, I see where you're going with this. Worth noting that unless your DM decides differently the Defense fighting style RAW can only be of use when wearing armor. I personally don't believe the intent is for just a shield to count, but that's very much up to your DM. But yea, with access to the right spells/abilities you have always been able to spike to a high AC for a round. Since you're taking a couple level of paladins I think you could do shield of faith as well.

whateew
2021-02-24, 09:59 AM
I think it's
12 (studded) + 5 (Dex) + 2 (a shield) + 1 (Defense FS) = 20
and
13 (draconic sorc) + 5 (Dex) + 2 (a shield) + 1 (Defense FS) = 21, plus per-casting +5 (shield spell)

Use of Dual Wielder downgrades the "a shield" to +1.
Use of a different Paladin fighting style would remove the associated +1.

You're right! I made a mistake in my response (now deleted) where I added the shield twice, for some reason. I will admit to being somewhat deceitful; 30 AC is on a round-per-round basis, not just by default, and costs a spell slot, a reaction, and a bardic inspiration dice. However, with 55ft move, you won't be targeted that often (I would hope!) so it could be a case of "in emergencies, break out obscene AC calculations."
But, if I really wanted to exaggerate, I'd say an AC of 34.

Sigreid
2021-02-24, 10:02 AM
You're right! I made a mistake in my response (now deleted) where I added the shield twice, for some reason. I will admit to being somewhat deceitful; 30 AC is on a round-per-round basis, not just by default, and costs a spell slot, a reaction, and a bardic inspiration dice. However, with 55ft move, you won't be targeted that often (I would hope!) so it could be a case of "in emergencies, break out obscene AC calculations."

There are certainly advantages to being able to spike you're AC to the point for this attack they have only a 5% chance of hitting you. Less if you can somehow make them have disadvantage as well. I don't consider it broken or anything. It would be broken if you were hitting AC 30+ that early as a permanent, 24/7 thing.

whateew
2021-02-24, 10:04 AM
Ok, I see where you're going with this. Worth noting that unless your DM decides differently the Defense fighting style RAW can only be of use when wearing armor. I personally don't believe the intent is for just a shield to count, but that's very much up to your DM. But yea, with access to the right spells/abilities you have always been able to spike to a high AC for a round. Since you're taking a couple level of paladins I think you could do shield of faith as well.

That's very true - reading this now, what I envisaged as a mobile glass cannon seems to stand out more as a beefy damage sponge. PAM would deal maximum damage, whip and shield has amazing AC, and TWF has the best of both.

SoF comes at the cost of your concentration though: is it worth your divine favour slot? And at higher levels, spirit shroud or potentially tensers?
(this is a serious question, I am relatively inexperienced)

Also, for purely fun reasons, I went and looked online for ways to maximise AC, and this build can reach 60 ac with enough shenanigans and some blind luck. If you're curious, I will share, but at this point its purely a thought exercise.

Sigreid
2021-02-24, 10:15 AM
That's very true - reading this now, what I envisaged as a mobile glass cannon seems to stand out more as a beefy damage sponge. PAM would deal maximum damage, whip and shield has amazing AC, and TWF has the best of both.

SoF comes at the cost of your concentration though: is it worth your divine favour slot? And at higher levels, spirit shroud or potentially tensers?
(this is a serious question, I am relatively inexperienced)

Also, for purely fun reasons, I went and looked online for ways to maximise AC, and this build can reach 60 ac with enough shenanigans and some blind luck. If you're curious, I will share, but at this point its purely a thought exercise.

When theory crafting characters I think it's most useful to think about how they get to the end goal. So maybe another spell is better later, but relatively early game SoF is a solid choice. Even into mid levels.

From a practical standpoint, I think the highest bonus to hit I've seen is something like +25. Since a natural 20 always hits an AC over somewhere around 45 the most that will benefit you. Once you hit that, it's imposing disadvantage that makes them re-roll that natural 20 that provides additional protection.

whateew
2021-02-24, 10:30 AM
From a practical standpoint, I think the highest bonus to hit I've seen is something like +25. Since a natural 20 always hits an AC over somewhere around 45 the most that will benefit you. Once you hit that, it's imposing disadvantage that makes them re-roll that natural 20 that provides additional protection.

The swords bard at 14th can use a d6 AC boost without limit, and if we are smiting maybe haste is an appropriate buff? Given that, 20 DEX, a shield, defense style (which might not be applicable!) and draconic, we have on avg. 30 AC with shield spell and haste, and we have 15 to make up for. One can use their 12 for an avg. of 6, adding 3 to our AC. What now? Magic shields, armour, and AC tools I suppose

Keravath
2021-02-24, 10:56 AM
But, if I really wanted to exaggerate, I'd say an AC of 34.

The only way to boost your AC with bardic inspiration dice on a Swords bard is to use Defensive Flourish when you hit with an attack. You can't use it in response to being hit. You have at most 5 uses (more likely 4 at most) since if you want to dual wield whips you need the dual wielder feat (which also means that you won't be using a shield). In addition, the character uses dex for to hit rolls and charisma for spells so if the character is weapon focused then you are likely boosting dex and not cha reducing the number of flourishes available to 3/short rest. So unless the party is one encounter/short rest or the combats are all short (and you manage to hit every round), you won't be able to count on an AC bonus from defensive flourish.

In addition, unless you take the level of sorcerer, the character won't have the shield spell since it isn't a bard or paladin option.

Finally, as written (and as mentioned above), the defensive fighting style actually requires that the character be wearing armor so RAW it doesn't work with the natural armor of a draconic sorcerer or mage armor.

P.S. Smites are cool but they do blow through spell resources very quickly.

whateew
2021-02-24, 11:09 AM
In addition, the character uses dex for to hit rolls and charisma for spells so if the character is weapon focused then you are likely boosting dex and not cha reducing the number of flourishes available to 3/short rest. So unless the party is one encounter/short rest or the combats are all short (and you manage to hit every round), you won't be able to count on an AC bonus from defensive flourish.

P.S. Smites are cool but they do blow through spell resources very quickly.

The limited uses does really put a damper on it being a tank (until bard level 14 - afterwards you can go to town), so it's good that you pointed it out. However, part of the idea is that since you have so much speed, you probably aren't going to be in a lot of danger if you use your speed and your reach, which hasn't been really talked about a lot. Is what I'm saying true? Or would this work less in practice.

Nidgit
2021-02-24, 03:54 PM

Defense FS requires that you wear armor, which wouldn't combine with Draconic Sorcerer's unarmored boost. You could use the Mariner FS to get the same +1 AC, which requires they you're not wearing Heavy Armor or a Shield. Shouldn't be a problem with dual wielding though.

That said, I'm not really sure why we're not just using Heavy Amor here. It's an immediate AC boost and it's not like Dex is necessary to the build anywhere.

CheddarChampion
2021-02-25, 04:10 PM
Critique:
At level 8 for your build, your character has 11 spell slots. Two of those are used on Longstrider and Divine Favor, leaving 9 spell slots/9 smites. How fast will you blow through those to get your proposed dpr?

Now if you're in a one fight per LR game this is fine. Most tables seem to have 4-6 fights per LR though, requiring even more spell slots to be spent on Divine Favor and Longstrider. This leaves you with barely any spell slots left for smiting.

Once you run out of smites, you deal 3d4+9 (16.5) for TWF or 2d4+12 (17) for whip & shield. Compare that to a level 8 greatsword & defensive style fighter, who puts out 4d6+10 (24) with a better accuracy.

Your saving throws will be a big weakness. With those stats for point buy, you have -1 to both Int and Wis saves. You'll be susceptible to things like Hold Person and Fear. Even things like poison (Con saves) will often have their full effect on you. When you do get hit, you're likely to lose concentration, accentuating the spell slot issue.

Having some weak saves is normal, I just mean that having a big AC doesn't make you invulnerable. A DM might even be inclined to use more things that require saving throws.

Advice:
You can get better AC and save a few points for point buy if you take one level as a Paladin, start with 16 Str, and use heavy armor. You also get better Wis and Int saves, since you can afford 10's in those and you get Wis save proficiency. Your speed won't be affected, but your Dex saves, Dex skills, and initiative will. It's mostly a side-grade, but it's a side-grade I'd take.