PDA

View Full Version : Changing Alignment in game?

Delta_tea
2021-02-24, 03:20 PM
Hi D&D brain trust! So I'm playing a Lawful Neutral level 6 Cleric in an active campaign. I'm trying to figure out how to shift my alignment around. For example, if I cast a few to many "Evil" spells I'm guessing I'll slip to LE. So in theory, if I cast a lot of "Good" spells does that mean I can move up to LG? How many spell casts should this take? I've also heard something about a lot of diplomat checks could help?

What about shifting Lawful? Anyway I can play that would shift it to Neutral?

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to reach NG so I can take on Radiant Servant of Pelor at level 7.

Thanks!

Batcathat
2021-02-24, 03:22 PM
Are you asking strictly for mechanical solutions? Because the most obvious answer seems like it would be "Have your character change organically and step by step start acting differently".

Delta_tea
2021-02-24, 03:35 PM
Are you asking strictly for mechanical solutions? Because the most obvious answer seems like it would be "Have your character change organically and step by step start acting differently".

I would love to. However my DM hasn't really been tracking so I'm trying to do a force a purposeful change. For example, I haven't done anything evil since character creation and have helped other people. That hasn't moved the needle, so I'm looking for more direct methods.

Roninblack
2021-02-24, 03:43 PM
Talk to your DM. Other then having a spell cast that forces it, there is no mechanical way to change alignment. Tell him what you want, show him how you've been doing it in character and see what he wants to see to achieve the change.

Batcathat
2021-02-24, 03:55 PM
I agree with Roninblack, talking to the GM seems like an important step. If they don't know you want to change alignment they might just assume you're playing your interpretation of Lawful Neutral and doesn't want to tell you that you're doing it "wrong" (or they might just have a different interpretation of what constitutes LN behavior than you do).

denthor
2021-02-24, 04:07 PM
Fastest way there is cleric spell. That will change your alignment to the alignment of the cleric casting the spell.

Now this not without to cleric. She will take an experience point penalty of 5,000 experience points. Mostly because you were willing to do these lawful acts.

I will find the spell name and post it here. I no it was in 2nd edition not sure if came over.

Spell name atonement

5th level spell

Takes a priest of 9th level or higher to cast.

InvisibleBison
2021-02-24, 04:55 PM
Fastest way there is cleric spell. That will change your alignment to the alignment of the cleric casting the spell.

Now this not without to cleric. She will take an experience point penalty of 5,000 experience points. Mostly because you were willing to do these lawful acts.

I will find the spell name and post it here. I no it was in 2nd edition not sure if came over.

Spell name atonement

5th level spell

Takes a priest of 9th level or higher to cast.

A couple points of clarification - atonement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/atonement.htm) only costs 500 XP, not 5,000; and it only costs XP if you're using it to help a cleric or druid who lost their class features due to an intentional transgression. If you're just trying to use the spell to let someone change their alignment, it costs no XP.

RNightstalker
2021-02-24, 04:58 PM
The simplest option would be to get your current character killed and roll up a new one that can go RSoP lol.

On a more realistic note, PHII has some retraining things that might help. There's a Divine Conversion in the retraining section which would probably be the easiest path. If you opt for class level retraining you could try to retrain your 1st level, which would imply changing everything at level 1 including alignment, though it isn't specifically mentioned.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-24, 05:24 PM
Hi D&D brain trust! So I'm playing a Lawful Neutral level 6 Cleric in an active campaign. I'm trying to figure out how to shift my alignment around. For example, if I cast a few to many "Evil" spells I'm guessing I'll slip to LE. So in theory, if I cast a lot of "Good" spells does that mean I can move up to LG? How many spell casts should this take? I've also heard something about a lot of diplomat checks could help?

What about shifting Lawful? Anyway I can play that would shift it to Neutral?

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to reach NG so I can take on Radiant Servant of Pelor at level 7.

Thanks!

Imho just doing "good" things ain't enough. Because L-N may do L-G actions and L-E actions. You care mostly for the "L" part of your alignment as L-N. It doesn't matter matter if something is G or E as L-N, as long as its L.

So, to reflect a change, if I would DM, I would demand that you haven't taken any opportunities for L-E actions lately. Otherwise, you would still be in the definition of L-N.

And as a sidenote:
If you want to become L-G, be careful what kind of "good" actions you are doing. If you also do C-G actions, you might end up as N-G! So be careful.
____

And as others have suggested: Talk about your intention to your DM. Not every DM cares that much for alignments. So it's always good to show your intentions. This way your DM is prepared and can give you the opportunities needed to reflect your change and keep better track of your actions.

smasher0404
2021-02-24, 07:58 PM
As mentioned before, Atonement will set your alignment to the alignment of the caster.

Sanctify the Wicked (Book of Exalted Deeds) does the same thing, but does not require the PC to be willing (but only can force an Evil character to become the same variety of Good as the Caster). It is also a 9th level spell with more expensive components.

Pazuzu (as described in Fiendish Codex I) will shift your alignment one step closer to Chaotic if you are not already Chaotic, and one step closer to Evil if you are already Chaotic but not yet Evil if you call upon his aid.

The Balance card of the Deck of Many Things will change your alignment to a "Radically" different one if you draw it (but that involves first getting your hands on the Deck of Many Things).

Contracting Lycanthropy will also shift your alignment to the perceived alignment of the animal form.

Redemption (Book of Exalted Deeds) can be used over a period of several days while being held prisoner to shift your alignment one step closer to Good (although that requires 7 failed saving throws against the redeemer's Diplomacy checks and some pretty vague conditions).

KillianHawkeye
2021-02-25, 01:02 AM
If you want to be a Radiant Servant of Pelor and you're Lawful Neutral, then the biggest hurdle is that you're already a Cleric of some other deity. It seems like you should just roleplay a crisis of faith where you get fed up with your deity caring too much about rules or laws or whatever and not enough about helping people. Lose your Cleric powers, and then have a Cleric of Pelor convert you to their faith and Neutral Good alignment with the atonement spell.