PDA

View Full Version : Starscream in D&D

Shackled Slayer
2021-02-24, 06:18 PM
I love the idea of starscream who is a comedic coward with Machiavellian aspirations for glory and praise, and im sold on the character as a concept. But im wavering with what to do mechanically.

I'm thinking of making him a rogue/fighter half and half with a 1 level dip each in bard and barbarian for skills and rage respectively, but i don't think that works particularly well. Conceptually i want the character to have minion magic of some sort, be that necromancy or otherwise, but i have some homebrew im pretty sure i can use with the DM's permission. I want that because the character has aspirations of leadership and power.

But how would you depict starscream as a PC? What classes would you take? Races? Feats? How would you build the concept. It's worth note im not necessarily trying to create a transformer as much as i am trying to depict the character type of a Machiavellian coward warrior genius

Unoriginal
2021-02-24, 06:35 PM
I love the idea of starscream who is a comedic coward with Machiavellian aspirations for glory and praise, and im sold on the character as a concept. But im wavering with what to do mechanically.

I'm thinking of making him a rogue/fighter half and half with a 1 level dip each in bard and barbarian for skills and rage respectively, but i don't think that works particularly well. Conceptually i want the character to have minion magic of some sort, be that necromancy or otherwise, but i have some homebrew im pretty sure i can use with the DM's permission. I want that because the character has aspirations of leadership and power.

But how would you depict starscream as a PC? What classes would you take? Races? Feats? How would you build the concept. It's worth note im not necessarily trying to create a transformer as much as i am trying to depict the character type of a Machiavellian coward warrior genius

Well, it depends which Starscream you're talking about, but *most* Starscreams have a scientific background and fairly technologicay savvy.

I suggest an Artificier, probably an Armorer. Suppose Battlesmith would work if you want a minion.

A few levels of Mastermind Rogue works for a clever but cowardly leader.

Starscream's capacities are best represented by high INT, high CHA, low WIS. He is brillant and silver-tongued, but suffer from poor impulse control, struggles to keep his cool, and generally performs way worse than his skills and capacities would indicates due to his cowardice, massive ego and lack of patience.

In any case, I would argue that being an exceptional flyer is an important trait for Starscream.

Kane0
2021-02-24, 07:47 PM
Mastermind rogue that dumped wisdom and/or charisma.

Helpful when kept in line by the leader? Check
Backstabbing? Check
Actually fairly capable in their field? Check
Could potentially be a face/leader if they get their act together? Check
Relentlessly ambitious to the point of self-destruction? Check

jaappleton
2021-02-25, 07:23 AM
It doesn’t matter how you build out Starscream.... Regardless of how you do it, you’ve failed me again.

In all sincerity, Starscream is conniving. Definitely has expertise in Deception. He’s also not a bumbling fool, he is competent, it’s just that his aspirations of personal glory get in the way.

I’d say he’s either a Bard or a Rogue. Strictly depends on what play style you prefer.