PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Investor Event, and D&D

jaappleton
2021-02-25, 11:01 AM
Hasbro, like every publicly traded company, has investor events where essentially they state the moves they're trying to do in order to generate more profit.

And their event is happening right now. I'm going to stick to info about WOTC, which incorporates both MtG and D&D.

Here are some highlights:

Hasbro plans to DOUBLE the size of WOTC by 2023.

In 2019, WOTC went from 761 million in revenue to 907 million in 2020.

Plans on 2-3 movies and 3-4 TV projects by 2022-2023.

WOTC will become its own operating division under Hasbro.

As of this writing (11am Eastern), they just cut off the event away from public viewing to investors only during a 'sneak peak' portion. (Not cool, WOTC. Not cool :smalltongue:)

EDIT: Presentation is back

They will 'increase the cadence' of D&D releases. (I said awhile ago that we'd be seeing more books more frequently)

Magic is launching 'universes beyond' and will include things like LOTR, D&D, Warhammer 40K.... That last one is not a typo.

EDIT: More stuff

Magic animated series in 2022

D&D film begins production this spring, the one with Chris Pine. TV shows planned for after the films release.

nickl_2000
2021-02-25, 11:03 AM
As of this writing (11am Eastern), they just cut off the event away from public viewing to investors only during a 'sneak peak' portion. (Not cool, WOTC. Not cool :smalltongue:)

Give it 10 minutes and it will be on youtube.

Unoriginal
2021-02-25, 11:06 AM
Any news on the movie that was supposedly already in the work?

Also I hope "TV projects" mean we'll see a remake of the old cartoon.

jaappleton
2021-02-25, 11:17 AM
Any news on the movie that was supposedly already in the work?

Also I hope "TV projects" mean we'll see a remake of the old cartoon.

Perkins, years ago, mentioned wanting to reboot the cartoon. I think at the time (this was like 2017?), nobody knew how big D&D was going to be getting. I think he was shot down.

However, with the kickstarter success of Critical Role's animated series, I think its safe to say executives are a bit more open to the idea now that the demand for such a thing is undeniable.

Greywander
2021-02-26, 02:50 AM
nobody knew how big D&D was going to be getting.
I know tabletop RPGs have always been a bit of a niche hobby, but isn't D&D the most well known TTRPG? I know that doesn't necessarily translate into popularity or profitability, but I'd think it would at least tend to correlate.

Waazraath
2021-02-26, 04:27 AM
Nice!

The collaboration already was mentioned on the 40k site as well: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/25/warhammer-40000-is-coming-to-magic-the-gathering-yes-really/

Unoriginal
2021-02-26, 05:35 AM
I know tabletop RPGs have always been a bit of a niche hobby, but isn't D&D the most well known TTRPG? I know that doesn't necessarily translate into popularity or profitability, but I'd think it would at least tend to correlate.

The 3.X and 4e eras business decisions made the game not-so profitable.

Hasbro kept the 5e team tiny and without a big budget, but it ended up an unexpectedly great investment.

Kane0
2021-02-26, 05:45 AM
No news on the videogame front? Shame

jaappleton
2021-02-26, 06:31 AM
No news on the videogame front? Shame

Well, not from the event, but Larian Studios just pushed out a new patch for the early access title Baldur’s Gate 3 that finally adds the Druid.

They did announce a new Dark Alliance game about two years ago, but since the announcement it’s been all quiet.

Check out Solasta: Crown of the Magister. It uses the 5E ruleset but aside from the basic rules, all subclasses are home brewed from the OGL to avoid licensing issues. It’s rated 9/10 on Steam and just came out back in October. Well worth checking out.