PDA

View Full Version : What are the best support spells/invocations/feats for each of these two characters?

Farias123
2021-02-25, 07:47 PM
So, I have two characters that are about to be used and I wanted both of them to be supports for my party, as it isn't a thing I do most of the time.

The first character is about to be used on a new campaign that starts on level 6, he is a Tabaxi Pact of the Chain Celestial Warlock, the invocations I picked are the Chain Master Investment (better CD, bonus action attack), Gift of the Ever Living Ones(so I can heal myself with max heal if needed, and on short rests as well) and Agonizing Blast (so I can deal damage as well). So, when I reach level 8, should I pick some feat that can help me support my party? Also, what can I do to be better at this role, regarding spells and invocations?

The second character is going to replace my current character as soon as I retire him on a campaign at level 14 and he is a Satyr Shepherd Druid, which of the 3 totems can make me support better? Also, what druid spells are good for what I'm looking for? Additionally to druid spells, I've picked the feats Fey Touched and Shadow Touched, so there are any good level 1 spells that aren't on the druid spell list but can be obtained through the feat to help me and my party? With this character I also have the right to pick some rare and uncommon magic items, so are there any one on these rarities that can help me support?

Thanks if you've read everything. I really appreciate it :)

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-25, 08:16 PM
So, I have two characters that are about to be used and I wanted both of them to be supports for my party, as it isn't a thing I do most of the time.

The first character is about to be used on a new campaign that starts on level 6, he is a Tabaxi Pact of the Chain Celestial Warlock, the invocations I picked are the Chain Master Investment (better CD, bonus action attack), Gift of the Ever Living Ones(so I can heal myself with max heal if needed, and on short rests as well) and Agonizing Blast (so I can deal damage as well). So, when I reach level 8, should I pick some feat that can help me support my party? Also, what can I do to be better at this role, regarding spells and invocations?
I will only answer for this one, and only if you tell me this.
1. What are the character's stats?
2. Who else is in the party?
(But my gut answer will be "Repelling Blast!!!!" since it's so darned handy in a tactical sense-I picked it before I picked Agonizing Blast).

I've run a celestial warlock and have some experience playing that in a support role.
For 14th level shepherd druid, I'm not much good to you.

Verble
2021-02-25, 08:16 PM
For the celestial warlock I'd suggest taking Inspiring Leader for the group temp hp bonus as you likely have a decent charisma bonus. I'd also consider the invocation that lets you cast polymorph(Sculptor of flesh). This is a nice buff if someone is knocked out of the fight you can bring them up from unconscious with a bonus action healing light then use a spell slot to turn them into a rampaging creature for a bit.

The only suggestion I have for druid is taking the Bless spell with the fey magic feat, though you may use up your first level slots on healing word.

Farias123
2021-02-25, 08:33 PM
I will only answer for this one, and only if you tell me this.
1. What are the character's stats?
2. Who else is in the party?
(But my gut answer will be "Repelling Blast!!!!" since it's so darned handy in a tactical sense-I picked it before I picked Agonizing Blast).

I've run a celestial warlock and have some experience playing that in a support role.
For 14th level shepherd druid, I'm not much good to you.
1- STR: 8 DEX: 16 CON: 14 INT: 10 WIS: 10 CHA: 18
2- To be honest I don't know yet, I'm like the first person to be doing the character for this upcoming campaign, the only thing I know is that my friend will be a Wizard.

Thanks for now, I'll use repelling blast since it is good for pushing to AoEs.

Farias123
2021-02-25, 08:40 PM
For the celestial warlock I'd suggest taking Inspiring Leader for the group temp hp bonus as you likely have a decent charisma bonus. I'd also consider the invocation that lets you cast polymorph(Sculptor of flesh). This is a nice buff if someone is knocked out of the fight you can bring them up from unconscious with a bonus action healing light then use a spell slot to turn them into a rampaging creature for a bit.

The only suggestion I have for druid is taking the Bless spell with the fey magic feat, though you may use up your first level slots on healing word.
Thanks, the inspiring leader is a good buff to everyone and at level 10 there's another ability like this for the celestial warlock so my party members can always have temporary hp. And the polymorph ideia is very very good, I'll keep that in mind.

Farias123
2021-02-26, 01:09 PM

Actually I was looking it up and I saw I still had one vacant slot of invocation left, so I picked repelling blast and agonizing blast, but there are other 2 invocations that I don't know if are worth picking, one of them is the Eldritch Mind for advantage on Concentration saves, I don't have a lot of concentration spells, neither spell slots, so I don't know. The another one is grasp of hadar, like, why is repelling blast better than grasp of hadar?

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 01:14 PM
Actually I was looking it up and I saw I still had one vacant slot of invocation left, so I picked repelling blast and agonizing blast, but there are other 2 invocations that I don't know if are worth picking, one of them is the Eldritch Mind for advantage on Concentration saves, I don't have a lot of concentration spells, neither spell slots, so I don't know. The another one is grasp of hadar, like, why is repelling blast better than grasp of hadar? Repelling blast is better, but grasp isn't bad.
Eldritch Mind (advantage on CON saves) is a good one to take; it substitutes in for a feat so you don't need to burn a feat for your next ASI at level 8. I'd suggest taking that one.

1- STR: 8 DEX: 16 CON: 14 INT: 10 WIS: 10 CHA: 18
2- To be honest I don't know yet, I'm like the first person to be doing the character for this upcoming campaign, the only thing I know is that my friend will be a Wizard. You are well set up to be effective.
At level 8 you can choose feat or to max Cha at 20 to boost those spell saves and attack rolls a bit.
Spell choices I'll not recommend any yet until the rest of your party becomes clear.

I don't recall if you can take the Slow spell - it's very good if you can have it. I have Remove Curse since our party has no cleric, and I took Revivify for a similar reason, but if your party has a cleric those choices can be for other spells.

Farias123
2021-02-26, 01:34 PM
Repelling blast is better, but grasp isn't bad.
Eldritch Mind (advantage on CON saves) is a good one to take; it substitutes in for a feat so you don't need to burn a feat for your next ASI at level 8. I'd suggest taking that one.
You are well set up to be effective.
At level 8 you can choose feat or to max Cha at 20 to boost those spell saves and attack rolls a bit.
Spell choices I'll not recommend any yet until the rest of your party becomes clear.

I don't recall if you can take the Slow spell - it's very good if you can have it. I have Remove Curse since our party has no cleric, and I took Revivify for a similar reason, but if your party has a cleric those choices can be for other spells.

Well, I was thinking about taking the inspiring leader feat on level 8 and I'll check it out with my party to see if anyone has any idea of character so I can tell you. Also, what do you suggest me doing with my familiar to be helpful to all the party? Maybe picking up pseudodragon or sprite to unconscious or poison enemies? Or are there better options?

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 02:07 PM
Well, I was thinking about taking the inspiring leader feat on level 8 and I'll check it out with my party to see if anyone has any idea of character so I can tell you.
Also, what do you suggest me doing with my familiar to be helpful to all the party? Maybe picking up pseudodragon or sprite to unconscious or poison enemies? Or are there better options?
A lot of people like Imp for its versatility, but I found in my chain pact (my celestial is tome) archfey lock that the sprite did all of the scouting I needed done exceptionally well.

If you want to go for cool? Pseudodragon. If you want a good scout? Sprite or Imp, since they can scout invisibly, are my go to choices.

My celestial has an owl via the Tome Pact's first level spell from Book of Magic Secrets, who provides decent scouting, excellent help keeping watch at night, and the occasional flyby to offer someone advantage on an attack.

Sometimes, owl is a fine choice.

As to inspiring leader feat: a fine choice. Temp HP applied after each short rest is a nice damage buffer. (And IIRC, your familiar can benefit from this also)

Farias123
2021-02-26, 02:30 PM
A lot of people like Imp for its versatility, but I found in my chain pact (my celestial is tome) archfey lock that the sprite did all of the scouting I needed done exceptionally well.

If you want to go for cool? Pseudodragon. If you want a good scout? Sprite or Imp, since they can scout invisibly, are my go to choices.

My celestial has an owl via the Tome Pact's first level spell from Book of Magic Secrets, who provides decent scouting, excellent help keeping watch at night, and the occasional flyby to offer someone advantage on an attack.

Sometimes, owl is a fine choice.

As to inspiring leader feat: a fine choice. Temp HP applied after each short rest is a nice damage buffer. (And IIRC, your familiar can benefit from this also)

Haven't thought of that temp hp with familiar combination, it's pretty good. Actually one of the reasons I didn't want to pick sprite is because it has only 1 hp, when I get to level 8, with the inspiring leader feat I can give him 12 temp hp, which isn't a lot, but maybe helpful since I can also use my reaction to give the familiar resistance to some damage. Thank you

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 02:59 PM
Haven't thought of that temp hp with familiar combination, it's pretty good. Actually one of the reasons I didn't want to pick sprite is because it has only 1 hp, when I get to level 8, with the inspiring leader feat I can give him 12 temp hp, which isn't a lot, but maybe helpful since I can also use my reaction to give the familiar resistance to some damage. Thank you Yeah, all that needs to happen is that when you are doing that 10 minute inspiring speech, the sprite has to be one of the allies present. Can't summon them after the fact and retcon the Temp HP. :smallbiggrin:

When you do so, choose up to six friendly creatures (which can include yourself) within 30 feet of you who can see or hear you and who can understand you. Each creature can gain temporary hit points equal to your level + your Charisma modifier. A creature can’t gain temporary hit points from this feat again until it has finished a short or long rest.
How many players in your party?

diplomancer
2021-02-26, 03:15 PM
Having a similar build (Pact of the Chain celestiall), here's a few suggestions:
1- someone mentioned upthread the Sculptor of Flesh invocation; though it might be substituted later, at level 7 the Celestial is, of all possible casters, the best user of "emergency heal polymorph", due to the synergy with Healing Light. If your party members do go down with any regularity, they will love you for it.
2- I used to think there was a slight disynergy between Inspiring Leader and Celestial Resilience; however, as long as you have more than 1 fight between Short Rests, you can use both of them (except if the fights are almost back-to-back). Just give THP from Celestial Resilience after the SR, and, once they are expired, make your Inspiring Leader speech. You are a bountiful fountain of THP (and if, after 2 tough fights, you want to SR, the party might be more supportive of it if they know they are getting a TON of THP everytime you SR).

Inspiring Leader might be the best way for a Warlock to convince the party to get a SR.

Farias123
2021-02-26, 05:37 PM
Yeah, all that needs to happen is that when you are doing that 10 minute inspiring speech, the sprite has to be one of the allies present. Can't summon them after the fact and retcon the Temp HP. :smallbiggrin:
How many players in your party?
There are 4 players atm

Farias123
2021-02-26, 06:26 PM
2- I used to think there was a slight disynergy between Inspiring Leader and Celestial Resilience;

Me too man, it seemed like I'd be wasting a class ability because inspiring leader is just better, but I just hadn't realized I could use both of them but on different moments.