PDA

View Full Version : In-Universe Conspiracy Theories

Mr. Crowbar
2021-02-25, 11:18 PM
I'd love help fleshing out a list of conspiracy theories for my new character, an ultra-prepared survivalist type, to spout off occasionally. Things that are out there but mostly harmless, more flat earth than letter-after-p. Conspiracies from other games would be fun to hear about, too!

For reference, this game is in a homebrew setting, but mostly seems to work on Forgotten Realms lore. We're on a desert & mountains continent with a good chunk of society being underground. Gonna be a focus on the underdark and mindflayers & other abberations. My character has a beef with mindflayers/illithids in particular.

What I got so far:

Illithids control all the monarchies and are manipulating society to become the subservient basis of their new empire. Why bother raising humanoid fodder themselves when they can replace the brains of the highest ranking people?
Rust monsters are an illithid plot to make humanoids helpless by making them reliant on metal weapons and equipment and then destroying them.
There’s no way birds can be regular beasts. If they’re not monstrosities or some other creature they’re just a cover up for magic or psionic spy constructs.
Metallic dragons are more likely to be evil than chromatics - they just use their polymorph abilities so it doesn’t get back to them. Case in point, the Silver Syndicate. It’s totally headed by an actual Silver dragon posing as a dragonborn.

TyGuy
2021-02-25, 11:50 PM
Shape-shifting lizard people run the world -> shape shifting illithid, that shift into lizardfolk, run the world.

The world elite are intentionality and covertly dumbing down the masses to create a subservient people -> illithid are intentionality and covertly increasing the intelligence of the masses to create a better food source.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-02-25, 11:52 PM
I'd love help fleshing out a list of conspiracy theories for my new character, an ultra-prepared survivalist type, to spout off occasionally. Things that are out there but mostly harmless, more flat earth than letter-after-p. Conspiracies from other games would be fun to hear about, too!

Halflings are just people who had themselves permanently Reduced to save on food, accommodation and clothing expenses.
Lizardfolk society is run by a secret cabal of polymorphed humans.

Naanomi
2021-02-26, 01:06 AM
Demons live underground, beneath the Underdark; and Celestials live in castles on top of the highest clouds... people who talk about other Planes of Existence are insane

Droppeddead
2021-02-26, 03:45 AM
If you shave the head of an elf, they will die.
Halflings have a hivemind and are secretely humanitarians (as in, eats humans).
Dwarves have long bears to hide a third eye on the necks.
Dragons are secretely in cahoots with the goldmining industry to keep gold scarce as to not devalue it.
The rulers of the land could actually wipe out all evils of the land if they wanted it but they need to keep the plebs in check. That's why they allow monsters to roam the countryside and encourage crazy murder hobos to kill them. If you allow the lower classes to dream that one day you too can be a famous hero you won't mind your dreary life as much. And how come we never see those monsters attack the royal palace? Sure, a prince(ss) gets kidnapped every once in a while but somehow there is always a hero in shining armour with a plucky sidekick who rescues them- Coincidence? I think not!

Wraith
2021-02-26, 04:18 AM
There is no such thing as a gnome - they're all just outcasts from halfling society, and the word "gnome" was made up to catch other species off guard and help them infiltrate their societies, which they promptly blow up with magical and technological "experiments".

Magic - ALL magic - is gifted to spellcasters by Patrons, whether they know it or not. All of magic is basically a pyramid scheme.

Healing Potions are addictive, but Big Alchemy covers it up by taking the antidote and coating it onto gold coins. You *could* get clean any time you wanted, but adventuring for coins means you need more healing potions, which means you need more gold coins, which means.....

There are at least 5 different Wizards calling themselves Elminster, but Volo is a fictional person invented to sell more fake treasure maps and mass-produced 'guides' to unsuspecting punters.

There is no such thing as a Paladin. Anyone who says they are, is just a Hexblade with a slightly different flavour and they're part of a conspiracy to spread the influence of the infernal dimensions.

Every Temple has a secret handshake or codeword that, if you know what it is, will get them to cast healing spells on you for free. The code changes every day so only the initiated can take advantage of it, but YOU have figured out the pattern and you just need to find the right Cleric to say it to.....

Hand_of_Vecna
2021-02-26, 08:40 AM
Illithids are time travelers from the dying universe of the future (this was their canon lore in 3e). Theory; they evolved from the human elite classes the same elite classes they are now guiding to ensure their own existence and manipulating the world to keep in power.

The Wall of the Faithless is a lie the gods tell to keep mortals in line. Souls of worshipers are consumed as food. To some extent the Good dieties are just playing a role because a large portion of mortals couldn't be swayed to choose an evil dirty if those.were the only option, but between "good" and evil dieties the vast majority will buy in to the system.

All spells are either permanently destroying the native energies of the world (this will lead to a Dark Sun type setting) or is introducing alien energies to the world (leading towards an apocalypse of mutation and unpredictable physics).

da newt
2021-02-26, 12:36 PM
The God's created the world for their entertainment only. We are all just game pieces in their grand royal rumble - they just sit up there and place bets on which of us will die next, and our fates are all determined by the roll of the dice.

Humans are the simplest / least evolved of all the humanoids - true sheeple.

If you bite a Mind Flayer you become a powerful were-flayer, and Mind Flayers can't resist a funky beat - you can put them in a trance with dance music.

Naanomi
2021-02-26, 01:31 PM
The God's created the world for their entertainment only. We are all just game pieces in their grand royal rumble - they just sit up there and place bets on which of us will die next, and our fates are all determined by the roll of the dice.
Not the 'Gods', but that is pretty much the cannon lore of the ultimate creators of the Great Wheel Cosmology... all for the entertainment or to indulge in creative expression of powerful creators far removed from reality as we percieve it, a very 'lila/लीला' ultimate concept

kenposan
2021-02-26, 01:53 PM
Gnomes are decedents of aliens from another world; that's why the are so good at tinkering.

Naanomi
2021-02-26, 01:55 PM
Gnomes are decedents of aliens from another world; that's why the are so good at tinkering.
Also potentially true on some Prime worlds, Kyrnnish tinker gnomes are prolific spelljammers

Imbalance
2021-02-26, 02:12 PM
There's no such thing as magic. It's all done with smoke and mirrors.

A beholder is, in fact, a lighter than air craft piloted remotely by fey.

The world is round, but not a spheroid. It's a repeating pattern of landmasses that are nearly identical, but if you travel long and far enough in a continuous direction you'll notice subtle differences in the pattern and become increasingly likely to run into a copy of yourself.

Dragons can't fly - their body mass is too great for their wings to support. The reason they hoard precious metals is to promote a sort of electrical field that holds them aloft in the magnetic layers high in the air.

It's not that there are so many giant beasts; it's that most of us are smaller than we realize.

I have it on good authority that a cyclops is really a nothic that got waterlogged. Or was a nothic a cyclops that shriveled up in the sun? Either way, it's true, I swear.

Sigreid
2021-02-26, 02:15 PM
The goddess of love and beauty is actually manic-depressive and is also the goddess of torture and suffering. The goddess herself is not aware of this!

Randel
2021-02-26, 02:26 PM
Leomund intentionally designed (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/4c89az/leomunds_secret_chest/) his Secret Chest spell in a way to con people out of their valuables. It's said that after 60 days there is a 5% chance each day that the spell fails and the chest becomes "irrevocably lost". Why would one of the greatest wizards ever publish a faulty spell like that when we have clear evidence of other extradimensional magical effects lasting thousands of years with no issue? Obviously, he made it that way as a trap to get people to hide their valuables in these chests, have them 'accidentally' get lost in the etherial plane when the spell fails, and then Leomund can get the valuables for himself! Obviously there's some hidden dungeon somewhere in the Etherial plane where all these missing chests end up.

The same happens for any items lost to a punctured bag of holding. Someone on the Etherial Plane gathers up all the supposedly lost loot for themselves.

Segev
2021-02-26, 02:32 PM
The Open Lord of Waterdeep is actually a Thayan Agent.
The Seventh Layer of Mount Celestia is actually a trap; that's why nobody ever returns from there.
There is a city of secret organizations that secretly run the world, hiding behind numerous hidden doors that magically take you there. Don't believe me? Try mentioning the name of their secret ruler in a few places with lots of movers and shakers, and watch how many people shiver at the mention of "the Lady of Pain."
Check everyone carefully for signs of snake scales, eyes, forked tongues, or other features. Snake-people who worship couatl (who aren't as noble as they pretend to be) disguise themselves imperfectly as normal men and women to infiltrate demihuman society and manipulate them for their own nefarious purposes.
Gold isn't actually rare; dwarves and dragons conspire to collect it to keep it artificially scarce so its value stays up.
Humans are actually half-orc, half-elves.
"Werewolves" and other lycanthropes aren't real; they're all just murderous druids faking it to get away with their crimes.
Magic is a closely protected secret by jealous wizards. It's actually really easy to understand, but they hunt down anybody who shares it with people not sworn to secrecy and to pretending they need those complicated books full of gibberish.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-02-26, 02:58 PM
The goddess of love and beauty is actually manic-depressive and is also the goddess of torture and suffering. The goddess herself is not aware of this!

I like this idea! I wonder what the consequences would be.

Doug Lampert
2021-02-26, 03:03 PM
The Burning Hate.

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 03:04 PM
"Werewolves" and other lycanthropes aren't real; they're all just murderous druids faking it to get away with their crimes. Arrgh, Segev's on to me, time to leave town. :smallfrown:

Sigreid
2021-02-26, 03:06 PM
I like this idea! I wonder what the consequences would be.

I'm thinking a divine Fight Club could happen.

Corran
2021-02-26, 03:23 PM
Did you know that it is extremelly easy to hypnotize spiders of the Underdark with music? Yes. Apparently all it takes is a few notes or a little singing, and the spider will do your bidding. That's why music is forbidden in the Underdark, and there's a chance you'll be cursed if you play songs or sing while in there. If the drow dont catch you first. It is said that they can hear singing from miles away.

The Underdark started out as a mining operation by dwarves. All these endless tunnels and caverns? None of it is natural. All carved by a dwarven pickaxe. Eventually the elves had to intervene, cause if the dwarves were allowed to dig any further, the intergrity of the world's surface would be compromised. And now elf, gnome and spider are trying to put it back together, to repair the place, keep it sturdy. And the monsters? All brought down there. To keep those damned dwarves away. But eventually the dwarves lost interest, the monsters got out of control, and that's the Underdark for you today. It's good though to know your history. And if you ever find yourself down there, just be careful not to break anything.

Naanomi
2021-02-26, 04:08 PM
"Werewolves" and other lycanthropes aren't real; they're all just murderous druids faking it to get away with their crimes.
You got it all wrong, man... there is no such thing as Druids, it is all lycanthropes trying to pass as harmless and helpful. Have you ever seen a druid on a full moon? Me neither man, me neither

Segev
2021-02-26, 05:21 PM
Arrgh, Segev's on to me, time to leave town. :smallfrown:Waaaaiiiit. ::eyes your avatar:: I knew the "no metal armor" thing was a smokescreen! :smallfurious:

You got it all wrong, man... there is no such thing as Druids, it is all lycanthropes trying to pass as harmless and helpful. Have you ever seen a druid on a full moon? Me neither man, me neither

That's what they WANT you to think, man! :smallsigh:

iTreeby
2021-02-26, 06:50 PM
The Burning Hate.

To elaborate, this was a conspiracy based on a 3.5 cleric of pelor stat block that had an evil spell in its spells list. Mechanically this could only happen if the character was evil and worshiped an evil God,

So the conspiracy is that pelore is secretly evil and people who believe this conspiracy call pelor "the burning hate".

Naanomi
2021-02-26, 09:18 PM
To elaborate, this was a conspiracy based on a 3.5 cleric of pelor stat block that had an evil spell in its spells list. Mechanically this could only happen if the character was evil and worshiped an evil God,

So the conspiracy is that pelore is secretly evil and people who believe this conspiracy call pelor "the burning hate".
In universe and cannon is the Harlot's Coin Conspiracy along he same lines, yes?

blackjack50
2021-02-26, 09:41 PM

For reference, this game is in a homebrew setting, but mostly seems to work on Forgotten Realms lore. We're on a desert & mountains continent with a good chunk of society being underground. Gonna be a focus on the underdark and mindflayers & other abberations. My character has a beef with mindflayers/illithids in particular.

What I got so far:

Illithids control all the monarchies and are manipulating society to become the subservient basis of their new empire. Why bother raising humanoid fodder themselves when they can replace the brains of the highest ranking people?
Rust monsters are an illithid plot to make humanoids helpless by making them reliant on metal weapons and equipment and then destroying them.
There’s no way birds can be regular beasts. If they’re not monstrosities or some other creature they’re just a cover up for magic or psionic spy constructs.
Metallic dragons are more likely to be evil than chromatics - they just use their polymorph abilities so it doesn’t get back to them. Case in point, the Silver Syndicate. It’s totally headed by an actual Silver dragon posing as a dragonborn.

The world is actually a figment of someone’s imagination or there is some lone individual pulling people’s strings and setting events in motion without anyone’s knowledge!!!

Rater202
2021-02-26, 09:47 PM
All True dragonsa are infact part of a single massive superorganism united by a hivemind so complex that mere mortal minds instinctively block out all signs of it o n the rare occasion that they make psychic contact with the collective.

All conflict between various dragons, either on the individual scale or between factions and varieties, as well as all other aspects of dragon society, are 1 part deception to prevent people from realizing what's happening and track down the controlling intelligence, which is more vulnerable than most of the drones, one part a roleplay done to entertain itself, and one part attempt to weed out it's weakest drones to allow it's power to increase over recessive generations via Darwinism: Only the strongest dragons surviving to reproduce means each successive generation has slightly stronger average levels of power.

noob
2021-02-26, 09:54 PM
Commoners still exists because monsters pretend to fight commoners but they never truly do by fear of chicken powered annihilation of the entire universe.
Due to monsters being really dangerous there is a non aggression pact that was signed between the commoners and the monsters: commoners pretends to die against monsters to keep hidden the dangerousness of commoners but the monsters do not have the right to kill a commoner but they can steal their property(in order to avoid excessive anger) and in return commoners do not use chicken based annihilation but they can still ask adventurers to kill monsters(although the adventurers would still kill the monsters so it does not changes much).
Nobles are completely unaware of commoners and monsters being under some sort of partial truce and then "mysteriously" they get replaced by monsters frequently: it is because monsters do not want a chicken powered war to happen against the nobles which would deal catastrophic damage to the entire world.

Fable Wright
2021-02-26, 09:55 PM
Druids invented vampires (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/jc2qfm/theory_vampires_are_druidic_undead/) and their whole anti-undead schtick is trying to cover up their crimes.

There's no such thing as Wizards. There are however deluded warlocks who think that their powers are gained from books, who have burned out the memory of their own patron in sheer horror.

The most powerful being in the multiverse is a council of six squirrels with a Ring of Levitation. They bear a robe and a mask, to make them appear almost human. If you touch their shadow, you will be flayed alive.

Asmodeus exists.

Tanarii
2021-02-26, 09:59 PM
They're no such thing as gods, they're all just people who found a magical artifact that lets them channel magical power to followers. The reason they're so powerful and immortal is they get a slice of both the casters and any targets souls any time a "divine" spell is cast.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 10:05 PM
Good and Evil, as well as Law and Choas, don't exist.

At least, not as cosmic forces.

The entire thing is a pyramid scheme by the forces of the outerplanes in order to feed on mortal belief and mortal souls for power, with even the weakest of beings getting a cut.

All these divine cosmic conflicts are staged.

noob
2021-02-26, 10:07 PM
Good and Evil, as well as Law and Choas, don't exist.

At least, not as cosmic forces.

The entire thing is a pyramid scheme by the forces of the outerplanes in order to feed on mortal belief and mortal souls for power, with even the weakest of beings getting a cut.

All these divine cosmic conflicts are staged.

So it is wrestling?
You should then have to pay to get the right to watch the staged conflicts if they were better at getting profits.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 10:11 PM
So it is wrestling?
You should then pay to have the right to watch the staged conflicts if they were better at getting profits.

It's wrestling if the wrestlers are stealing the power of your souls by you following them.

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 10:18 PM
The world is actually a figment of someone’s imagination or there is some lone individual pulling people’s strings and setting events in motion without anyone’s knowledge!!! And he is Named Sturgeon! :smalleek:

Druids invented vampires (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/jc2qfm/theory_vampires_are_druidic_undead/) and their whole anti-undead schtick is trying to cover up their crimes.

Yep, I really need to leave town. Must have gotten sloppy. :smallfrown:

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-26, 10:36 PM
Dragons use their shapeshifting capabilities to secretly rule society as the monarchs of major kingdoms and fight proxy wars against eachother.
Dwarves actually don't exist and are just bearded gnomes.
The world is spherical (Globe earth theory!!) (even funnier if the world is actually spherical)
The feywild is actually just a fragment of the far realm that is leeching on the material plane.
Orcs are just an elven experiment gone wrong twisting them into evil beings with shorter lifespans.
Elves actually don't live super long, they just have really children who look very similar to them who then replace the originals.
and yeah again, bonus points if any of these are actually true in your setting.

Azuresun
2021-02-27, 04:32 AM
Don't accept Lesser Restoration spells from friendly clerics, the gods will be able to spy on you and track your whereabouts if you do!

Mastikator
2021-02-27, 05:05 AM
The prime material plane is actually round but big-map are lying to everyone to sell square flat maps.

Elves live so long because they use blood magic to steal life force from humans. Goblins secretly work for the elves.

Asmodeous is secretly a celestial working from the inside to rid the world of evil, his plan is too complex to explain, but the angels are too entrenched into their position so they stop him. So you should totally sell your soul to the devils.

Demons were created by the elves to weaken humanity.

The elves are behind every calamity, even the ones that hurt them more. It's a smoke screen!

Imbalance
2021-02-27, 09:10 AM
It's wrestling if the wrestlers are stealing the power of your souls by you following them.

I was there the day Undertaker threw Mankind off the top of the cage, and I think you may be on to something.

I've never tried it, but I heard that cockatrice eggs can't be hard boiled. Word is that they are the most delectable and nutritious breakfast food, but the poultry industry long ago put a moratorium on raising them to spite a particular guild of lazy statuary sculptors.

Truth is, there is only one warlock patron who has many guises. No matter what, even if warlocks fight warlocks or rise together and destroy the cosmos, this being wins, simply because nobody ever reads the EULA.

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-27, 11:00 AM
Truth is, there is only one warlock patron who has many guises. No matter what, even if warlocks fight warlocks or rise together and destroy the cosmos, this being wins, simply because nobody ever reads the EULA.
And that wins the thread. :smallsmile: (Really liked this one, although there are a lot of great ones to chew on).

Segev
2021-02-27, 12:22 PM
Not everyone is who they seem to be. There are some - maybe only a handful - of people in the world who are actually meat puppets being controlled by alien intelligences who treat the world and everything in it as diversions for their own amusement.

Tanarii
2021-02-27, 12:35 PM
There is a malevolent entity and it was imprisoned by another entity, and all sentient brains on the planet make up the prison. But the "evil" entity it can assert control over individuals. It doesn’t matter. So long as sentient life doesn't destroy itself, the prison remains intact whatever evil things the malevolent entity makes specific individuals do through its limited control.

verbatim
2021-02-27, 04:38 PM
Every official dnd/pathfinder/ttrpg origin story for Asmodeus is floating around in universe. Many of them contradict one another.

Why? Because he put them there to throw everyone off the trail.

noob
2021-02-27, 05:26 PM
Every official dnd/pathfinder/ttrpg origin story for Asmodeus is floating around in universe. Many of them contradict one another.

Sillier theory: they are all true it is just a matter of which timeline you are on and someone is playing timeline shuffle so at any given time any of the origin stories might be the current one.

Ogre Mage
2021-02-27, 07:14 PM
--Tyche never died. Tymora and Beshaba are disguises she wears in an elaborate game of "good cop bad cop."

--Dopplegangers are the servants of the mind flayers. This makes the Illithid Conspiracy even more dangerous. The mind flayers eat the brains of the people the dopplegangers replace. Dopplegangers become very ill if they eat a lot of salt so that is one way of spotting them.

--Demons and devils are under the control of Tempus, who masterminded The Blood War to increase his own power.

Mr. Crowbar
2021-02-27, 07:53 PM
Don't accept Lesser Restoration spells from friendly clerics, the gods will be able to spy on you and track your whereabouts if you do!

omgggggg there's so many great & hilarious conspiracies in this thread but I love this one the most. XD

CapnWildefyr
2021-02-27, 08:23 PM
If you lick the back of a phase spider, you get an extradimensional high. :smallcool:
The kingdoms are really controlled by a secret order of bards called the Nightsingers. They cause mischief and strife so they have something to sing about.
Tyr (or whoever) died long ago. The current Paladins of Tyr use their divine smite powers to steal the souls of those they kill. Those souls are what is really used to give those self-righteous creeps their power as they wage crusades against the innocent.
Everyone knows that the monks in Candlekeep must be doing something with all of the pent-up knowledge. Turns out, they write their little histories before they happen. OR They actually run half the slave trade and crime in the West, having created the fictional Shadow Thieves to be their scapegoats. The only reason someone hasn't wiped them out yet is that they are the ultimate assassins. Deep in their libraries is the Book Of Living Souls. Yeah, that's right, the Book of Living Souls. You see, if you piss them off, they just find the page with your name, and tear it up. Bye bye.
Elves are really vampire spawn that feed off of emotion instead of blood. That's why they always are so aloof and uncaring, and why you NEVER see a fat elf. I mean, ever see a fat vampire?

Rev666
2021-02-27, 11:58 PM
Dimensional travel isn't possible. Al those wizards that have travelled to other planes faked it with illusion spells. And all those special rocks from the plane of earth are just normal rocks. Those wizards just said they dimensional travelled first because they were in a Magic race with the sorcerers.

Kylar0990
2021-02-28, 12:02 AM
It's a common misconception that lycanthropy can be passed by surviving being bitten by a lycanthrope. In truth lycanthropy can be caught by biting a lycanthrope and living to tell the tale.

Naanomi
2021-02-28, 02:39 AM

Again, essentially 2e/3e canon

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-28, 02:47 PM
Dimensional travel isn't possible. Al those wizards that have travelled to other planes faked it with illusion spells. And all those special rocks from the plane of earth are just normal rocks. Those wizards just said they dimensional travelled first because they were in a Magic race with the sorcerers.

Heh yes. Expand, all magic is actually just illusion magic to varying degrees.

Fable Wright
2021-02-28, 02:55 PM
If you lick the back of a phase spider, you get an extradimensional high. :smallcool:

Note to self: This is now canon. Look into about quest hook for hunting down phase spiders and wrangling them into cages treated with ghostwall shellac.

Elves are really vampire spawn that feed off of emotion instead of blood. That's why they always are so aloof and uncaring, and why you NEVER see a fat elf. I mean, ever see a fat vampire?

Note to self: Add more fat vampires into games, see how players react.

HPisBS
2021-02-28, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure The Question already has you covered lol

"Topically applied fluoride doesn't prevent tooth decay. It does render teeth detectable by spy satellite divination."

"The hard tips on shoelaces are called 'aglets.' Their true purpose is sinister."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRU4iZUsTY0

noob
2021-02-28, 04:56 PM
Heh yes. Expand, all magic is actually just illusion magic to varying degrees.

So when weird kill you it did not happen and it it was an illusion that you got killed by the fear caused by an illusion and you are not actually dead and then you throw an extra saving throw to realise you are still alive and that the illusion did not actually hurt you through making you believe it was hurting you by scaring you

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-28, 05:18 PM
So when weird kill you it did not happen and it it was an illusion that you got killed by the fear caused by an illusion and you are not actually dead and then you throw an extra saving throw to realise you are still alive and that the illusion did not actually hurt you through making you believe it was hurting you by scaring you

Just made you invisible and created the illusio of a pile of dust where you were.... and even better! Some illusions are so powerful that they can make you believe that you are dead, causing you to die. Also the outer planes are just some fancy post """death""" illusions

noob
2021-02-28, 05:46 PM
Just made you invisible and created the illusio of a pile of dust where you were.... and even better! Some illusions are so powerful that they can make you believe that you are dead, causing you to die. Also the outer planes are just some fancy post """death""" illusions

This is why so many afterlives speak of an eventual death within the afterlife: you die for real of old age even if you did not see it coming due to the illusion of being dead.

greenstone
2021-02-28, 06:07 PM
Ahh, Google, where would I be without you. I search for "common conspiracy theories" and you sure do deliver.

Some most of the common theories aren't really far-fetched for D&D. Death coverups, for example. In our world, saying "Elvis is still alive" immediately paints you as a conspiracy nutter. In a fantasy world, if you say 'Bigby is still alive" then people will just go, "So?"

The same goes for UFOs (planar travellers, or just teenagers with a magic carpet), NWO theories (Red Wizards of Thay, The Scarlet Brotherhood, Iuz), superweapons, secret bases on the moon, and so on. All possible in a world with teleportation and planar travel.

False Flag conspiracies could work well.

You know that the Lords of Waterdeep caused Mt Hotenow to blow up and destroy Neverwinter, don't you. Listen up sheeple!

The Time of Troubles was an inside job!

False History?

The Age of Thunder never existed. All those ruins supposedly created by the snake people/precursor races? All faked!

Faked Moon-landings?

You know we've never been to the outer planes, right? It's all faked using illusion magic and mind-control drugs,

In a magic world, the ideas about science may be reversed from our world. Perhaps D&D characters think the scientific method is pseudoscience?

There is no such thing as a Paladin. Anyone who says they are, is just a Hexblade with a slightly different flavour and they're part of a conspiracy to spread the influence of the infernal dimensions.

This is brilliant! I am using that for my next character. Thank you.

I also really like the ideas in this thread about how elves are not actually long-lived. As a GM, I'm sure I can work some of those into my game… *evil grin*

Wraith
2021-02-28, 06:33 PM
This is brilliant! I am using that for my next character. Thank you.

Is your next character a Paladin, or a "Paladin" ? It can work from either side of the conspiracy, after all :smalltongue:

That being said, it's always been a dream of mine to run a game for an All Warlock party where everyone pretends to play another class (Cleric? Celestial Tomelock! Wizard? Fiend or Djinn Chainlock! Paladin? Hexblade Pact of Blade!) and gets bonus XP for hiding their true identity from the other players :smalltongue:

ProsecutorGodot
2021-02-28, 06:49 PM
Putting a bit of a spin on a few runnning gags from our home game:
-Tressyms are actually angels in disguise that spy on people, especially Wizards of great renown who keep them as familiars.

-There's no such thing as divination magic, the air is polluted with little bits of wild magic that cause you to hallucinate events you "see". The fact that they often come true is pure luck! Divination Wizards are actually Wild Magic Sorcerers with accidental mastery over their unique magic.

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-28, 08:22 PM
This is why so many afterlives speak of an eventual death within the afterlife: you die for real of old age even if you did not see it coming due to the illusion of being dead.

Some most of the common theories aren't really far-fetched for D&D. Death coverups, for example. In our world, saying "Elvis is still alive" immediately paints you as a conspiracy nutter. In a fantasy world, if you say 'Bigby is still alive" then people will just go, "So?"

Now I'm trying to think of a way how to get a theory of Elvish is still alive.. perhaps a counter-anti-elf theory.

CapnWildefyr
2021-03-01, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure The Question already has you covered lol

"Topically applied fluoride doesn't prevent tooth decay. It does render teeth detectable by spy satellite divination."

"The hard tips on shoelaces are called 'aglets.' Their true purpose is sinister."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRU4iZUsTY0

or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwizJNvl62U
Whole episode is better.
But not as good as the star wars spoof.

Ides Usher
2021-03-22, 07:50 AM
Cattle mutilations occur when the cow in question fails to accurately report all it hears and sees to its Designated Avian Handler, which in turn must report to its Designated Druid Handler. Anyone who is able to discover evidence of who the Druids report to is "disappeared" before they can convey their findings. How do "they" know when evidence has been found? They are mind readers! It has to be Illithids, man! No, I don't have evidence. If I did I would be dead too. But anyone can use logic to figure this out. Just don't take that extra step of acquiring proof, or that will be your END.

Dalinar
2021-03-22, 10:14 AM
Doesn't the PHB flavor text for Druids imply a vast Druidic conspiracy already? Wonder what they're up to? Besides the whole vampire thing, of course.

Watcher Paladins are also said to be likely to establish a spy network, so maybe your theorist thinks that they're using the threat of extraplanar invasion or whatever to justify civil rights abuses at home?