PDA

View Full Version : Bracers of Archery vs Ring of Protection

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 11:55 AM
My PC will get to request a magical item from the capital’s armory. Unsure which item I should request/the fun of attunement slots. Open to other suggestions as well — the item just needs to be something that would make sense coming from an armory.

EDIT: More info about my PC -- She's a level 5 archer/wizard homebrew (tactician) class. Highest stats are in Dex and Int (both at a +4), with lowest in St and Char (-1). Con is +2 and Wis is +1. Wears studded leather armor so AC is currently 16. Her bow is a conjuration that I can enhance at certain levels if I buy components and spend time 'studying', so I will be able to make it a +1 longbow at my current level. DM did not specify a rarity, but I don't think he would give us anything above rare.

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 12:04 PM
My PC will get to request a magical item from the capital’s armory. Unsure which item I should request/the fun of attunement slots. Open to other suggestions as well — the item just needs to be something that would make sense coming from an armory.

Can we get more info on your PC? I'm assuming you're playing an archer, but without knowing for sure, we can't offer any real help.

It'd also be good to know more about what kinds of foes you face.

da newt
2021-02-26, 12:07 PM
Also, is there a rarity limit (or can you request an Oath Bow or +3 long bow for example)?

Sigreid
2021-02-26, 12:13 PM
Assuming you fight a lot with a bow, I'd take the bracers over the ring.

If you can, get the strongest magic bow you are allowed if you don't already have a good one. The ability to hit and damage opponents resistant or immune to non magic attacks is worth more than the raw bonuses sometimes.

A quiver of Elonia or however it's spelled is also a good thing. Carry a lot of arrows.

How about a bow with a full enchantment version of the infusion that provides it's own ammo? Endless magic arrows!!!

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 12:19 PM
Can we get more info on your PC? I'm assuming you're playing an archer, but without knowing for sure, we can't offer any real help.

It'd also be good to know more about what kinds of foes you face.

I updated my post -- if you'd like more info let me know! I'm unsure what info is most helpful and don't want to bog you down with too much.

Hard to say for the enemies. We haven't done much fighting at level 5 yet, and I know that is when we start to see the more 'fun' stuff. We will eventually have to go up against a group of powerful mages, but that is more endgame.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 12:20 PM
Also, is there a rarity limit (or can you request an Oath Bow or +3 long bow for example)?

I updated my original post with a little more info (sorry for lack, originally).

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 12:22 PM
How much do you rely on Concentration spells?

Bracers of Archery will be a nice boost to damage.
Ring of Protection won't be that much for your AC (even at +4 to-hit from your foes, it's not even a 10% reduction) but saves matter.

I'd lean towards the Bracers, since a dead enemy can't hurt you (usually :P ) but the Ring wouldn't be a bad pick either. They're both solid items-if a bit boring.

Have you considered asking for a more utility-based item? I tend to like items that aren't just "+X to Y." Stuff like an Immovable Rod, or an Eversmoking Bottle, or whatever opens up NEW options. Maybe something that gives flight for yourself, if you can finagle that?

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 12:31 PM
How much do you rely on Concentration spells?

Bracers of Archery will be a nice boost to damage.
Ring of Protection won't be that much for your AC (even at +4 to-hit from your foes, it's not even a 10% reduction) but saves matter.

I'd lean towards the Bracers, since a dead enemy can't hurt you (usually :P ) but the Ring wouldn't be a bad pick either. They're both solid items-if a bit boring.

Have you considered asking for a more utility-based item? I tend to like items that aren't just "+X to Y." Stuff like an Immovable Rod, or an Eversmoking Bottle, or whatever opens up NEW options. Maybe something that gives flight for yourself, if you can finagle that?

I do have a fair amount of Concentration spells since my aim for my spell use is control and defense (or a re-flavored version of Hex if I want a damage boost).

I know I could just get studded leather +1 if I wanted to up my AC and not even take up an attunement slot, but I worry about my saves which I why I was considering the ring in the first place.

And yes, I have considered some utility items, but I was unsure how feasible they might be to find in an armory. I guess there is no harm in asking/putting it on my list for the DM, though :P.

Also, thank you so much for your help so far!

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 12:34 PM
Assuming you fight a lot with a bow, I'd take the bracers over the ring.

If you can, get the strongest magic bow you are allowed if you don't already have a good one. The ability to hit and damage opponents resistant or immune to non magic attacks is worth more than the raw bonuses sometimes.

A quiver of Elonia or however it's spelled is also a good thing. Carry a lot of arrows.

How about a bow with a full enchantment version of the infusion that provides it's own ammo? Endless magic arrows!!!

Thanks for your response! I do enjoy dishing out damage which is why the bracers are so tempting.

Luckily, I can conjure my own arrows, so I don't have to worry about ammo!

Guy Lombard-O
2021-02-26, 12:39 PM

EDIT: More info about my PC -- She's a level 5 archer/wizard homebrew (tactician) class. Highest stats are in Dex and Int (both at a +4), with lowest in St and Char (-1). Con is +2 and Wis is +1. Wears studded leather armor so AC is currently 16. Her bow is a conjuration that I can enhance at certain levels if I buy components and spend time 'studying', so I will be able to make it a +1 longbow at my current level. DM did not specify a rarity, but I don't think he would give us anything above rare.

For me, the answer between those two items would lie in whether this homebrew class is giving you an Extra Attack. +2 damage once a round is nice and all, but without Extra Attack the Light Crossbow works just fine for you, and a single +2 damage is all you need/get from the Bracers. I'd rather have the Ring. It'll age better as you level up.

Sigreid
2021-02-26, 12:48 PM
I do have a fair amount of Concentration spells since my aim for my spell use is control and defense (or a re-flavored version of Hex if I want a damage boost).

I know I could just get studded leather +1 if I wanted to up my AC and not even take up an attunement slot, but I worry about my saves which I why I was considering the ring in the first place.

And yes, I have considered some utility items, but I was unsure how feasible they might be to find in an armory. I guess there is no harm in asking/putting it on my list for the DM, though :P.

Also, thank you so much for your help so far!

If your using your spells for control, maybe look for something that will bump up your save DC? Depending on your Int, a circlet of intellect could do the trick. There may be other things that I'm not aware of. Control is defense after all.

da newt
animated shield

others:

amulet of health
cloak of arachnida (one of my favorites but very rare)
mantle of spell resistance
ring of free action
wand of web

Lord_Dots
For me, the answer between those two items would lie in whether this homebrew class is giving you an Extra Attack. +2 damage once a round is nice and all, but without Extra Attack the Light Crossbow works just fine for you, and a single +2 damage is all you need/get from the Bracers. I'd rather have the Ring. It'll age better as you level up.

I do get Extra Attack. The hard thing to know at this point since we haven't necessarily had enough battles at this level for me to experiment with it yet will be how often I use longbow vs a spell. I was aiming for the character to primarily be an archer at the beginning but. . . story can change that.

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 12:50 PM
Quick note for you, Lord_Dots, from the forum rules (https://forums.giantitp.com/announcement.php?a=1).

Posting twice in a row is generally frowned upon. If you are responding to multiple points, please use quotes and other post formatting to clarify this. Please use the Edit option to modify information in a post instead of immediately making a new one. If you do accidentally double post, you can delete the extra post under the Edit option.

Just letting you know! The mods are pretty friendly, so don't worry about getting mauled for this, just remember for the future. :)

And yee, maybe link the class you're using, if it's on the internet and not just in your DM's notebook? That could help us give more advice.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 01:01 PM
Just letting you know! The mods are pretty friendly, so don't worry about getting mauled for this, just remember for the future. :)

And yee, maybe link the class you're using, if it's on the internet and not just in your DM's notebook? That could help us give more advice.Whoops! Thank you for letting me know! I'll work on getting better with how to format.

And, unfortunately, the DM came up with the class, so I cannot provide a link. Do you have any specific questions that I could potentially answer? I really do appreciate the advice, so I want to make sure I am also being as helpful as possible.

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 01:04 PM
Whoops! Thank you for letting me know! I'll work on getting better with how to format.

And, unfortunately, the DM came up with the class, so I cannot provide a link. Do you have any specific questions that I could potentially answer? I really do appreciate the advice, so I want to make sure I am also being as helpful as possible.

General details would be good. Is it a full caster? Does it get Extra Attack? Spell list? Notable features?

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 01:18 PM
General details would be good. Is it a full caster? Does it get Extra Attack? Spell list? Notable features?

It is a full caster but unlocked spellcasting at level 3 (so essentially behind two levels). Does get Extra Attack and the attacks increase at levels 5, 11, and 17. Spell list is limited to Abjuration, Conjuration, and Evocation spells from the Wizard spell list with a few exceptions. Learn and prepare spells like a Wizard but cannot add new spells to spellbook. Can prepare a few 'tactical abilities' each day and risk exhaustion (have to roll percentile) when they are used (can prepare more and it gets easier to avoid exhaustion as I level-up).

(High chance things might have to get nerfed as things continue. I have a feeling the class is OP and figured it would be a half or 3/4 caster, but the DM wanted it to be a full caster).

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 01:20 PM
It is a full caster but unlocked spellcasting at level 3 (so essentially behind two levels). Does get Extra Attack and the attacks increase at levels 5, 11, and 17. Spell list is limited to Abjuration, Conjuration, and Evocation spells from the Wizard spell list with a few exceptions. Learn and prepare spells like a Wizard but cannot add new spells to spellbook. Can prepare a few 'tactical abilities' each day and risk exhaustion (have to roll percentile) when they are used (can prepare more and it gets easier to avoid exhaustion as I level-up).

Hm. From the brief overview, it sounds OP-Extra Attacks equal to or better than a Fighter, with close to full casting.

That being said, if everyone's still having fun, it's not a big deal.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 01:34 PM
Hm. From the brief overview, it sounds OP-Extra Attacks equal to or better than a Fighter, with close to full casting.

That being said, if everyone's still having fun, it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I definitely will not disagree with that. I was very shocked when the DM made it a full caster. We may have to downgrade things as the campaign continues, but so far everyone seems onboard with everything.

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I definitely will not disagree with that. I was very shocked when the DM made it a full caster. We may have to downgrade things as the campaign continues, but so far everyone seems onboard with everything.

The important thing is for everyone to have fun. If you're not having fun because you're too powerful, or if other players aren't having fun because they feel overshadowed, or the DM is having trouble properly challenging the party... Then that needs to change.

If everyone is having fun, though, it's only a theoretical issue. Which doesn't need to be solved till it's a real one.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 01:52 PM
The important thing is for everyone to have fun. If you're not having fun because you're too powerful, or if other players aren't having fun because they feel overshadowed, or the DM is having trouble properly challenging the party... Then that needs to change.

If everyone is having fun, though, it's only a theoretical issue. Which doesn't need to be solved till it's a real one.

Makes sense! I'll be sure to be mindful of all that -- thank you!

Hearing the subclass information, would you still lean towards the bracers?

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 01:58 PM
Makes sense! I'll be sure to be mindful of all that -- thank you!

Hearing the subclass information, would you still lean towards the bracers?

You know, I was operating under the impression that the Bracers were +2 to-hit, not damage. I just googled them and realized that, nope, it's damage only.

With that in mind, I'd actually lean towards the Ring. An extra zero to eight damage (at level seventeen, for the eight) isn't really that impressive.

I'd definitely check for utility items-again, anything that lets you fly is a good idea!-but if those are your only two options, I'd lean heavily towards the Ring.

Sigreid
2021-02-26, 02:02 PM
You know, I was operating under the impression that the Bracers were +2 to-hit, not damage. I just googled them and realized that, nope, it's damage only.

With that in mind, I'd actually lean towards the Ring. An extra zero to eight damage (at level seventeen, for the eight) isn't really that impressive.

I'd definitely check for utility items-again, anything that lets you fly is a good idea!-but if those are your only two options, I'd lean heavily towards the Ring.

A rug of flying is a great archery platform. An Iron Fortress is a defensive position to shoot out of. Just tacking on to JNAProductions thoughts.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 02:06 PM

Okay, thank you! Winged Boots could be a possibility. I'll take another look and see if there is anything else that could make sense for the armory to have/be willing to give. I do know that I'm allowed to give a list of a few things and then the DM will be deciding what actually shows up for us -- so there is not really any risk of putting utility items along with the ring.

A rug of flying is a great archery platform. An Iron Fortress is a defensive position to shoot out of. Just tacking on to JNAProductions thoughts.

Ohhh! That could be a fun thing to consider -- plus no attunement slot! I just don't know if I'll be able to get away asking for a very rare item.

Keravath
2021-02-26, 02:58 PM
I'd second the Winged Boots. Very useful item.

I would not get the Bracers of Archery since it is only +2 damage/attack though it does scale better for this custom class than others.

Ring of Protection is always a good standby since you can always use +1AC, +1 saves but it doesn't add new capabilities.

Other options to consider ...
Slippers of Spider Climbing
Ring of Spell Storing (depending on what you might put in it)

If you are an imaginative type Nolzur's Marvellous Pigments can be almost game breaking :)

You might want to eventually pick up the fighting style feat or a level of fighter for the Archery fighting style.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 03:14 PM
I'd second the Winged Boots. Very useful item.

I would not get the Bracers of Archery since it is only +2 damage/attack though it does scale better for this custom class than others.

Ring of Protection is always a good standby since you can always use +1AC, +1 saves but it doesn't add new capabilities.

Other options to consider ...
Slippers of Spider Climbing
Ring of Spell Storing (depending on what you might put in it)

If you are an imaginative type Nolzur's Marvellous Pigments can be almost game breaking :)

You might want to eventually pick up the fighting style feat or a level of fighter for the Archery fighting style.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'd love to get my hands on the pigments -- they'd be a lot of fun!

And I've definitely been tempted by the archery fighting style. Trying to decide on potential feats/ASIs is sometimes too much for my brain to handle :P So many things to consider!

da newt
2021-02-26, 03:42 PM
Broom of Flying is great if you are looking for flight, but I prefer the cloak of aracnida if I can swing it - it's just more interesting. The broom is super effective for the rarity (uncommon), does not require attunment, and unlimited duration.

I agree the class sounds extra OP and fun to play. In my opinion you should have plenty of DPR and control options with a bunch of bow shots or spell casting, so I'd look for an item that addressed some other facet of the game - mobility or survivability are good options.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 04:03 PM
Broom of Flying is great if you are looking for flight, but I prefer the cloak of aracnida if I can swing it - it's just more interesting. The broom is super effective for the rarity (uncommon), does not require attunment, and unlimited duration.

I agree the class sounds extra OP and fun to play. In my opinion you should have plenty of DPR and control options with a bunch of bow shots or spell casting, so I'd look for an item that addressed some other facet of the game - mobility or survivability are good options.

I'll look into both of those, thank you! I will definitely be taking another look at all the magic items for things that can help with the mobility/survivability aspect. I sometimes need to remember that pure damage isn't the most important thing lol

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 04:08 PM
I have given this a lot of thinking, and I'll suggest the Ring of Protection, since it's good from now until the campaign ends.

Lord_Dots
2021-02-26, 04:32 PM
I have given this a lot of thinking, and I'll suggest the Ring of Protection, since it's good from now until the campaign ends.

Thanks! Is there anything (within reason that would make sense to get from an armory) that you would rather have over the Ring? Or not necessarily since the Ring is just a solid choice?

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 05:00 PM
Thanks! Is there anything (within reason that would make sense to get from an armory) that you would rather have over the Ring? Or not necessarily since the Ring is just a solid choice?
The other two items that may be useful are
(1) the aforementioned broom of flying - our AT gnome has one and it's quite handy when we are not underground, or,
(2) cloak of displacement
since it offers enemies disadvantage on attacks.

Keravath
2021-02-27, 04:26 PM
The other two items that may be useful are
(1) the aforementioned broom of flying - our AT gnome has one and it's quite handy when we are not underground, or,
(2) cloak of displacement
since it offers enemies disadvantage on attacks.

The broom of flying can be a good item but you should check with your DM about a few things first.

1) Encumbrance. The broom can do 50' but if the load is 200lbs or more then it slows to 30'. It has a maximum load of 400lbs. I find a lot of medium sized characters are in the 120-250 range without gear - add gear and a lot of characters are over 200lbs with stuff so they can't fly more than 30'. If you design your character to be light weight and carry a minimum amount of gear then they can move 50' on the broom but without planning, a lot of characters will be limited to 30'.

2) The broom is not a creature. You ride it like a vehicle. This means it doesn't dash - it has a speed of 30' or 50' and that is it.

3) The rules don't give any instructions on how it is ridden. "It then hovers beneath you and can be ridden in the air." This leaves a lot of variation between DMs in how this is interpreted. Do you need to hang on with one hand, two hands, or no hands. Do you need to grip the broom with your legs? If so, how does that work? Or is it just magical?

Do you need skill checks to remain mounted on the broom if it turns or stops suddenly? Can you use a bow while mounted on a broom? What about other two handed weapons or a shield and a one handed weapon? Do you need to make a skill check to stay mounted if you make an attack? If you are hit by an attack?

Depending on how your DM runs a broom of flying it can range from awesome to a somewhat slow means of flying transportation - so I would check with the DM before requesting this as a magic item.

Cloak of Displacement can be a great choice ... but if you can get a Cloak of Invisibility, it is strictly better :)

The_Jette
2021-02-27, 04:44 PM
I'm away from my books right now, but if I remember correctly there's a set of bracers or something (possibly gloves?) that allow you to block a ranged attack against your character by using your reaction. Since you'll be ranged, that means that you will probably have to deal with ranged attacks against you more often than anything else. Iirc, it reduces damage from a ranged attack by 1d10+dex, or something like that. Anyways, since you can use it pretty often for the cost of your reaction, that might be something that you consider grabbing. It doesn't help you do more damage, but could definitely increase your survivability.

x3n0n
2021-02-27, 05:34 PM
I'm away from my books right now, but if I remember correctly there's a set of bracers or something (possibly gloves?) that allow you to block a ranged attack against your character by using your reaction. Since you'll be ranged, that means that you will probably have to deal with ranged attacks against you more often than anything else. Iirc, it reduces damage from a ranged attack by 1d10+dex, or something like that. Anyways, since you can use it pretty often for the cost of your reaction, that might be something that you consider grabbing. It doesn't help you do more damage, but could definitely increase your survivability.

Just confirming: yes, Gloves of Missile Snaring.

Avonar
2021-02-27, 06:22 PM
A Ring of Protection or Bracers of Archery are good items. They're also super boring.

Some items I've had fun with:

Ring of Jumping
Cloak of the Bat
Gloves of Missle Snaring
Ring of Spell Storing
Ring of the Ram
Slipper of Spider Climbing

Lord_Dots
2021-02-28, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info and other suggestions everyone! I’ll have to talk to my DM about the broom. I’ll look into the other options to see if they could be a good fit ^o^