PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this ruling?

SangoProduction
2021-02-26, 12:02 PM
In spheres of Power, there's an advanced talent called Material Body, which, as you can guess, changes the material of someone's body. It's probably an overtly op source of damage reduction, getting DR 10/adamantine, for up to 60 blocked damage at level 6.
But there are multiple materials which aren't so simple, so I asked how the DM would rule it. I am rather satisfied, but I wonder what sort of ruling you guys would have gone with. (As in, I am not looking to demean / humiliate / whatever. I am simply looking to see what the more general consensus is on these forums, to get a broader perspective, in case one of my players has the same bright idea.)

Material Body allows one to shift a willing creature's skin to that of any material you can create. I'm probably just going to use it for being a walking bronze statue. But there are potential interactions I want to ask about. (And just in case I misremembered, your ruling, it is an Advanced Talent.)

A couple material talents allow materials like electricity or Acid or "non-magical Fire". In fact, basically every (material) talent aside from Expanded Materials is strange for this purpose. I don't have any of these odd talents, but was curious as to how you'd rule on them.

Obviously, Electricity has the problem of automatically discharging, and destroying the object changed into it if it fully discharges before the effect is over. The object being this person's skin.

So let's ignore Electricity for now and focus on Fire and Acid.
First question: Is the willing creature negatively impacted in any way? (Aside from not getting the bonus DR that they'd normally get.)
Second: Would these basically be used as though "if used to coat an object"? Probably the simplest way of allowing it, simply granting 1d6 damage on touch/attack.
Third: If that's not how they would be treated, how would you handle them?

And then there's the Object of Force, which is a force effect (not allowing ghosts to phase through it), and can anchor in mid-air.
Now, probably reaching a bit far there to say that someone can anchor their self in place.
But what is the interaction with say Ghost Touch attacks, since they can't actually touch someone with this skin of Force? Or more precisely, they can touch it, but they are stopped at the skin. Does it have literally any effect since they can still touch the skin?

And just to dot the i's and cross the t's, let's ask about an example Alchemical Creation.
Say the Tanglefoot Bag. Again, are they negatively effected? (Again, ignoring opportunity cost.)
And do they trigger the Tanglefoot Bag on touch?

In the case of energy based changes, I would rule that as the object or individual touched becomes a source of the energy type, essentially like an Elemental Cloak
I would give them immunity to the energy type, in addition to the damage on touch/attack, that's the only difference I would make
As for the Object of force, similiar ruling, they become surrounded by a "skin" of force that prevent's physical contact with their actual body