PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Getting the most out of Aura of Chaos

RNightstalker
2021-02-26, 05:57 PM
So I'm looking at the Aura of Chaos stance and want to see how to optimize it really. The first thing that comes to mind is working with SA and most especially the Bracers of Murder that let's a player reroll 1's on the SA dice, especially when using a weapon that has more than one damage die to begin with.

What say you playground?

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 06:00 PM
Combine with imbued Healing (Complete Champion) and a d2 damage weapon for infinite damage. :P

RNightstalker
2021-02-26, 06:29 PM
Combine with imbued Healing (Complete Champion) and a d2 damage weapon for infinite damage. :P

I'm not seeing how Imbued Healing comes into play on this one...can you explain a little more?

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 06:53 PM
I'm not seeing how Imbued Healing comes into play on this one...can you explain a little more?

Look for the Luck bonus.

It treats a 1 on damage rolls as a 2.

Calthropstu
2021-02-26, 06:53 PM
Anything that says "treat a roll of a 1 as a 2 on damage dice" and a 1d2 punch makes saitama from one punch man.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-02-26, 07:47 PM
While it lacks the unlimited power of the d2 Crusader, a build I saw combined it with TWF and Dragonfire Inspiration. Lemme track it down real quick...

Here we go (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=15034762&postcount=13). From the lovely TWF Offhandbook (not the original creator, but does an excellent breakdown on the variants), "The Song of Death: Bardic Badass". Bard 4 / Crusader 16 packs a serious punch. Not as much damage as the Warblade version of the build, but the damage is still good, it has better reach, it can do some party-support stuff, and it is much tankier. Tradeoffs.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-26, 08:25 PM
as others have said. Google for D2 Crusader builds. There are a few options IIRC to build the combo.

Another reason why Shuriken are the most overpowered weapons in the game.

Elves
2021-02-26, 09:48 PM
Does getting to "treat" a 1 as a 2 count as "rolling" a 2 though?

Similar to effects that let you count a roll as a 20 but not a natural 20.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-26, 10:06 PM
Does getting to "treat" a 1 as a 2 count as "rolling" a 2 though?

Similar to effects that let you count a roll as a 20 but not a natural 20.

You "treat" the "rolled" 1 as 2. As simple as it sounds yeah. The "count/treat as 2" has no limitations by the rule text and thus "counts" for all purposes.

RNightstalker
2021-02-26, 11:42 PM
Ok so the new question is how do we get the most out of Aura of Chaos without the d2 damage trick? Like...in a way we'll actually be able to play.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-27, 12:09 AM
Ok so the new question is how do we get the most out of Aura of Chaos without the d2 damage trick? Like...in a way we'll actually be able to play.

Dunno. This feels like one of these all or nothing chases. By itself the ability is meh. Only as D2 crusader I see potential. Other than that I wouldn't see much potential.

Maybe on an optimized glaivelock past lvl 20. With 340d6 per round it should roll a few "6". But the question is if that makes a difference at that point.

Or for a shivering touch build. 3d6 Dex dmg. 3 times the chance to roll a 6 and have 4d6 Dex dmg can make a big difference here.

RNightstalker
2021-02-27, 01:17 AM
Like...in a way we'll actually be able to play.

Or for a shivering touch build. 3d6 Dex dmg. 3 times the chance to roll a 6 and have 4d6 Dex dmg can make a big difference here.

Do you know a DM that hasn't banned Shivering Touch?

How about this, hopefully won't get the book thrown at me?

Ronin1/Spellthief1/NightsongEnforcer1/GuildThief1/Avenger1/Rogue1/Crusader14-obviously not in that order. Equipped with Rogue's Vest, Assassination/Deadly Precision Falchion, Bracers of Murder, and the proper weapon crystals to be able to SA a few enemies?

Elves
2021-02-27, 04:00 AM
You "treat" the "rolled" 1 as 2. As simple as it sounds yeah. The "count/treat as 2" has no limitations by the rule text and thus "counts" for all purposes.
Treating it as a result might not be the same as rolling that result. Again there's the example of things that let you treat rolls as a 20 but don't trigger natural 20.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-27, 06:31 AM
Treating it as a result might not be the same as rolling that result. Again there's the example of things that let you treat rolls as a 20 but don't trigger natural 20.

That are explicit specific exceptions to not trigger the natural 20 in those abilities. We don't have any similar limitations here. The roll gets "treated as 2" for all purposes.

Elves
2021-02-27, 01:48 PM
But they do act as a form of precedent for that division. True there's no ingame gloss for either word, but "roll" is a word with a referent outside the game, that is the act of rolling. I think it's a plausible basis for the DM to rule against it, although it's not hard RAW.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-27, 10:12 PM
But they do act as a form of precedent for that division. True there's no ingame gloss for either word, but "roll" is a word with a referent outside the game, that is the act of rolling. I think it's a plausible basis for the DM to rule against it, although it's not hard RAW.

I think I got a valid argument now. It doesn't require a "natural roll"!^^ Like in "natural rolled 20". As such the abilities should work and bypass any DM "mimi mi", since 3.5 has explicit wording for a real rolled value ;)