PDA

View Full Version : Telekinesis and melee attacks

Kaleph
2021-02-27, 10:38 AM
I'm studying how to expand the telekinesis power of the ghost template; at the moment it's just out of curiosity and there's no build behind it, but I could use it for an NPC one day. Or maybe not, you know how it is.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in using telekinesis to wield a weapon, at the same time threatening an area and keeping to use any melee-enhancing feat (like improved trip, or mage slayer for example) I may have; apparently the master of the unseen hand doesn't allow it.

Any way to implement what I'm looking for? Explicitly asking for ghost/telekinesis, but other ways to reproduce this or similar effects are also welcome.

Psyren
2021-02-27, 10:54 AM
This is pretty much what the Master of the Unseen Hand prc from Complete Warrior was designed for. Using ghost to enter it is a common optimization trick.

Oh, the feat prohibition is what you're trying to get around. Yeah, not sure about that, sorry.

Kaleph
2021-02-27, 11:20 AM
This is pretty much what the Master of the Unseen Hand prc from Complete Warrior was designed for. Using ghost to enter it is a common optimization trick.

Oh, the feat prohibition is what you're trying to get around. Yeah, not sure about that, sorry.

That's one point. The other is the question, if you actually threaten an area when wielding a weapon through the MotUH; what would be your call?

The_Jette
2021-02-27, 07:07 PM
I'm studying how to expand the telekinesis power of the ghost template; at the moment it's just out of curiosity and there's no build behind it, but I could use it for an NPC one day. Or maybe not, you know how it is.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in using telekinesis to wield a weapon, at the same time threatening an area and keeping to use any melee-enhancing feat (like improved trip, or mage slayer for example) I may have; apparently the master of the unseen hand doesn't allow it.

Any way to implement what I'm looking for? Explicitly asking for ghost/telekinesis, but other ways to reproduce this or similar effects are also welcome.

I know you're looking for telekinesis related stuff here, but... have you considered just letting your ghost use a Ghost Touch weapon? There are still other telekinesis goodies that you can do. Just, a Ghost Touch weapon would solve a lot of the issues you seem to be having with the Ghost.

Kaleph
2021-02-28, 12:33 AM
I know you're looking for telekinesis related stuff here, but... have you considered just letting your ghost use a Ghost Touch weapon? There are still other telekinesis goodies that you can do. Just, a Ghost Touch weapon would solve a lot of the issues you seem to be having with the Ghost.

The character concept is that of an intelligent dancing weapon - apparently an epic item - that is actually a cheap enchanted weapon, that is inhabited by a poltergeist (Libris Mortis). So far the MotUH was the perfect PrC, but letting the weapon deliver AoO of its own, or use improved trip, would have been a flashy surprise.

Telekinesis has also the secondary benefit of a faster BAB progression.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-28, 01:50 AM
You could always use Loyalty's Reward, from Kingdoms of Kalamar, to wield your telekinesis ability as if it were a prehensile limb. Get some ghost followers to qualify and share with, and build a feat that, say, treats your Int or Cha (whichever is higher) as your Str stat for the purposes of wielding weapons or tools, and out to the outer range of the effect. Or maybe it needs to be within your natural reach (with reach weapons expanding it, of course). Treat your CL as your BAB if it's higher, maybe. You'd have to workshop something up.

Kaleph
2021-02-28, 04:39 AM
If I need to homebrew, I guess my best option would be to port the telekinesis sphere from pathfinder, since it's an easy adaptation. Actually, I kinda like it, but I also wanted to know if there's something similar in d&d.