PDA

View Full Version : Shadowdancer idea

Alysar
2007-11-08, 11:50 PM
I was looking at the different types of magic items in the DMG and noticed Ghost Touch items and how they can be picked up and moved by incorporeal creatures, and an idea occurred to me.

I'm running a shadowdancer in the game I play in, and the next time he levels up, he'll be lvl3, with the ability to summon Shadows (the creature type). I started thinking, what if I were to get some kind of Ghost Touch harness made that I could wear. The Shadow would be able to pick it up, and me along with it, effectively giving me unlimited flight.

I asked my DM if I could do this.

He said no.

Green Bean
2007-11-08, 11:57 PM
Doesn't really seem that exploitative. Any monetary savings you'd get would probably be made up for by the risk of being unable to use the item if the shadow is destroyed.

Alysar
2007-11-09, 12:03 AM
Doesn't really seem that exploitative. Any monetary savings you'd get would probably be made up for by the risk of being unable to use the item if the shadow is destroyed.

Shadowdancers can summon as many shadows as they want. There is an XP loss if they are destroyed or dismissed, though.

tyckspoon
2007-11-09, 12:06 AM
I don't think the flight would be particularly exploitive; after all, if the Shadow is using its actions to move Alysar's character around, it's not using them to kill people with Strength damage and spawn an exponentially growing chain of Shadows, all subservient to Alysar's pet shadow..

The problem is that Strength is a non-ability for shadows. They can't apply force to anything, even if it is Ghost Touch or incorporeal. The only way they can affect anything is to touch it and try to inflict 1d6 Str damage.

Alysar
2007-11-09, 12:25 AM
I don't think the flight would be particularly exploitive; after all, if the Shadow is using its actions to move Alysar's character around, it's not using them to kill people with Strength damage and spawn an exponentially growing chain of Shadows, all subservient to Alysar's pet shadow..

Actually, Shadows summoned by a shadowdancer can't turn anyone into a shadow. They can do STR damage and the person dies when they hit zero, but that's all that happens.

The problem is that Strength is a non-ability for shadows. They can't apply force to anything, even if it is Ghost Touch or incorporeal. The only way they can affect anything is to touch it and try to inflict 1d6 Str damage.

Oh. Ok. That's a good reason.

tyckspoon
2007-11-09, 12:28 AM
Oh, right. Sorry. I was thinking of the world-depopulating clerical necromancy builds.