PDA

View Full Version : Fey Touched or ASI for Shepherd Druid?

NecessaryWeevil
2021-02-28, 04:22 PM
Hi, so I'm playing a 15th-level Tabaxi Shepherd Druid with 16 CON, 18 WIS, Res:Con and Warcaster.
Our DM has told us we'll reach level 16 halfway through next session and I'm wondering which feat/ASI to take.

On the one hand, it would nice to finally reach 20 WIS.
On the other hand, the enemies are frequently recognizing the wisdom of "Kill the Mage First," and since our Wizard is a Bladesinger who basically dares them to try, it usually becomes "Kill the Annoying Summoner Druid First."

That being the case, do you think it would be a better idea to pick up Fey Touched for Misty Step?
Thanks!

ATHATH
2021-02-28, 05:11 PM
I'd personally recommend Mobile over Fey Touched, as it'll let you get a pseudo-Disengage off against a single enemy by just casting Thorn Whip, Contagion, etc. on them (even if you miss). It'll also let you outpace enemies that have a base speed of 30 ft. (or 40 ft. if you have Longstrider up), which can be useful for keeping enemies from just running back into melee range again.

Since most of your damage comes from your summons anyway, have you considered just casting Longstrider before entering a dungeon and just Disengaging (or even Dashing) and backing up if an enemy gets too close to you?

stoutstien
2021-02-28, 05:19 PM
Hi, so I'm playing a 15th-level Tabaxi Shepherd Druid with 16 CON, 18 WIS, Res:Con and Warcaster.
Our DM has told us we'll reach level 16 halfway through next session and I'm wondering which feat/ASI to take.

On the other hand, the enemies are frequently recognizing the wisdom of "Kill the Mage First," and since our Wizard is a Bladesinger who basically dares them to try, it usually becomes "Kill the Annoying Summoner Druid First."

That being the case, do you think it would be a better idea to pick up Fey Touched for Misty Step?
Thanks!

What are you generally doing once you have your summons up?

Merudo
2021-03-01, 03:47 AM
I'd personally recommend Mobile over Fey Touched, as it'll let you get a pseudo-Disengage off against a single enemy by just casting Thorn Whip, Contagion, etc. on them (even if you miss). It'll also let you outpace enemies that have a base speed of 30 ft. (or 40 ft. if you have Longstrider up), which can be useful for keeping enemies from just running back into melee range again.

Since most of your damage comes from your summons anyway, have you considered just casting Longstrider before entering a dungeon and just Disengaging (or even Dashing) and backing up if an enemy gets too close to you?

I don't really see the point of Mobile for a Druid - your attacks are so weak, you are usually better off simply taking the disengage action instead of wasting a feat / asi on Mobile.

The main advantage of Mobile is the extra +10 feet, which as you mentioned can to a large degree be replaced by casting Longstrider.

Merudo
2021-03-01, 03:49 AM

Thanks!

Fey Touched is great beside Misty Step as it allow you to pick up the excellent Command spell. Cast Command:Flee on one or two enemies surrounded by your minions, and you will be guaranteed a large number of opportunity attacks.

Keravath
2021-03-01, 08:36 AM
Fey touched leaves you with an odd wisdom ... will you still have another 1/2 feat you can take to get to 20 wisdom?

Is it worth leaving 20 wisdom until level 19 or 20? Depending on whether you are multiclassed or not?

20 wisdom gets you another spell prepared, an increase in spell to hit rolls and spell DC. Spell DC becomes quite important unless the only thing you ever do is summon and even then there must be some sort of spell you cast on the other turns while concentrating on the summons?

Misty step is cool - no question about it. It also only requires a bonus action but it will prevent you from casting anything except cantrips on the turn it is cast. On the other hand, you could just disengage when caught in such a situation.

Over the longer term, I think the bump to 20 wisdom would likely be the more useful choice but not as exciting.

da newt
2021-03-01, 09:08 AM
You are a tabaxi so you are FAST and can always climb out of reach, and you are a druid so you can always wildshape and fly/swim/burrow/hide ... I'm surprised that isn't enough to keep you out of trouble.

Nhym
2021-03-01, 12:01 PM
Relatively easy answer:

First of all, I'd suggest +2 Con over +2 Wis since you are a summoner first and foremost and Con is much more important for that.

Alone, Misty Step is much better than 2 Con for survivability provided you are aware enough to use Misty Step before anything threatens you. If your DM only has a handful of encounters per long rest and you can get a ton of value out of Misty Step when you need it the most, take Fey Touched. (For the 1st level spell I'd suggest either Command or Dissonant Whispers for some minor added non-concentration survivability).

You don't have anything that competes for a 2nd level slot but I wouldn't upcast it, so you have 4 Misty Steps per long rest. After those casts, you would get more lasting value out of 2 Con, which remains valuable regardless of circumstance.

So basically, if you have a DM that only threatens you 4 or less times a long rest:
Fey Touched > +2 Con > +2 Wis

Any other situation:
+2 Con > Fey Touched > +2 Wis

(Obligatory Shepherd Druid guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXgYqPxkEHaCisQ0tteFF-KtsmfJxkOQojeWwHf22n4/edit?usp=sharing) plug)

Eldariel
2021-03-01, 02:42 PM
Relatively easy answer:

First of all, I'd suggest +2 Con over +2 Wis since you are a summoner first and foremost and Con is much more important for that.

Alone, Misty Step is much better than 2 Con for survivability provided you are aware enough to use Misty Step before anything threatens you. If your DM only has a handful of encounters per long rest and you can get a ton of value out of Misty Step when you need it the most, take Fey Touched. (For the 1st level spell I'd suggest either Command or Dissonant Whispers for some minor added non-concentration survivability).

You don't have anything that competes for a 2nd level slot but I wouldn't upcast it, so you have 4 Misty Steps per long rest. After those casts, you would get more lasting value out of 2 Con, which remains valuable regardless of circumstance.

So basically, if you have a DM that only threatens you 4 or less times a long rest:
Fey Touched > +2 Con > +2 Wis

Any other situation:
+2 Con > Fey Touched > +2 Wis

(Obligatory Shepherd Druid guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXgYqPxkEHaCisQ0tteFF-KtsmfJxkOQojeWwHf22n4/edit?usp=sharing) plug)

Actually, if Misty Step gets you out of trouble better than +2 Con (which it certainly does for most kinds of trouble), even if you get into trouble ~6 times/LR you are probably better off with Misty Step since it'll get you out with minimal fuss those 4 times and thus for +2 Con to be better enough, it takes a lot of enduring trouble beyond where you have Misty Step available (worst case scenario, you can also upcast it) rather than just one troublesome situation. Also the +1 Wis is nice for the Command/Dissonant Whispers incidentally, which obviously goes incredibly well with the plan of summoning a bunch of things and helps you with your lack of good non-Concentration spells.

ATHATH
2021-03-02, 05:21 AM
The main advantage of Mobile is the extra +5 feet, which as you mentioned can to a large degree be replaced by casting Longstrider.
*+10 feet.

Fair enough, I suppose.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-03-03, 02:19 AM
Very interesting thoughts, thanks all.

Nhym, I love your shepherd guide. Thank you for writing it.
That being said, +2 CON? Ouch. I've already sunk 2.5 ASIs into improving my Concentration (CON) saves. However, your logic does make sense.
Our DM is really good at varying the length of an adventuring day. Sometime's it's one big event and then a long rest, others (as right now) they are few and far between.
Hmm.

da newt
2021-03-03, 09:15 AM
There are some really good recommendations here, but I think most are ignoring the fact that your particular PC is already STUPID mobile (a TABAXI that can wild shape) so the Fey Touched feat doesn't provide much you don't already have.

But it will help if you are grappled/restrained.

Eldariel
2021-03-03, 09:25 AM
There are some really good recommendations here, but I think most are ignoring the fact that your particular PC is already STUPID mobile (a TABAXI that can wild shape) so the Fey Touched feat doesn't provide much you don't already have.

But it will help if you are grappled/restrained.

It also avoids OAs, lets you go through spaces too small for you to go through, over/through obstacles (chasms, traps, foliage, etc.), it enables "disappearing" (teleport to total cover/concealment; enemy doesn't know where you went), etc. Teleportation has a lot of utility beyond just increased mobility (which is of course also great). So in that sense it's still quite valuable.

x3n0n
2021-03-03, 09:30 AM
It also avoids OAs, lets you go through spaces too small for you to go through, over/through obstacles (chasms, traps, foliage, etc.), it enables "disappearing" (teleport to total cover/concealment; enemy doesn't know where you went), etc. Teleportation has a lot of utility beyond just increased mobility (which is of course also great). So in that sense it's still quite valuable.

And that's just the Misty Step half of it. As you said earlier, the off-list Command or Dissonant Whispers is another great tool for a summoner druid.

da newt
2021-03-03, 09:35 AM

All true, and mostly already available to our DRUID via wildshape.

Merudo
2021-03-03, 05:00 PM

I think positioning might help you more than anything, here.

For indoor battles, you can use walls, doors, and other obstacles to hide & break line of sight with the enemy. With the party and your dozen summons in the way, it should be really hard to get to you.

For outdoor battles, I'd ride a horse (you can talk with it!) and try to keep my distances. Against ranged enemies, you can also use Mold Earth to instantly create half / full cover for yourself. You can also Wild Shape into a Giant Badger and dig yourself a tunnel, or simply fly away as a Giant Owl.

Remember, your summons are already contributing a lot to your party's damage and tanking - there is nothing wrong with you protecting your concentration by cowardly hiding in a ditch or something.