PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Epic Level Characters Create a Fortress?

Destro2119
2021-02-28, 05:40 PM
So recently I have been interested in epic level organizations, and I recently decided to think of what things such characters are able to create.

As such, I offer this thought experiment: brainstorm the type of fortress an epic level organization could possibly create.

Some base rules:

-In this context, epic level means that there are about 6 leading characters who are 30+ in level, and at least a few thousands of characters at least 21st level. Any support needed from characters levels 1-20 is basically infinite, unless you need to do something like sacrifice them all or whatever.

-The fortress must only be accessible by members of the organization, and it must protect vs. both physical and magical attack/infiltration that is also epic in nature.

-It is meant as a research facility, so it can't be located somewhere where it can't get to other planes/planets, like in a void or something.

I hope to see your responses.

RNightstalker
2021-02-28, 07:57 PM
-The fortress must only be accessible by members of the organization, and it must protect vs. both physical and magical attack/infiltration that is also epic in nature.

-It is meant as a research facility, so it can't be located somewhere where it can't get to other planes/planets, like in a void or something.

Epic magic is pandora's box...it's truly uncapped, and allows for an eternal arms race. One of my first thoughts was building around a DMZ forcing entries and exits through those...but even Initiate of Mystra can cast in DMZs pre-epic.

Physical can be covered with a bottleneck and a few shock trooper builds, which can be done well without magic.

I'll chew on this and come back to it later, after I refresh on how (un)useful lair wards can be.

Quertus
2021-03-01, 06:41 AM
There are some general principles I follow for such things - let's see if anyone can derive them from a specific example (or two):

So, the first step is to find a universe where the planet is moved, not by being carried by the Great Sky Turtle, but by being bull rushed by it.

Next, take the epic pf at its word, that "there is a domain of magic far removed from the mundane spellcraft of the non-epic. In the realm of spells above 9th level, previously insurmountable barriers are brushed easily aside, opening the caster up to a potential unavailable to any other characters. At this level, magic ceases to simply be the control of magical energy and steps into the realm of the manipulation of reality itself", and invent an epic spell to actually manipulate reality, by replacing a particular set of words in the rules. In particular, change rules on attacks is opportunity from "may" to "when an opponent provokes… must".

Therefore, anyone threatening the planet who is an opponent *must* take the AoO when it is bullrushed - which it is, multiple times per round by the Great Sky Turtle.

Next, we need to make attacking the planet brutal, by stacking as much untyped damage from Fire Shield / Cloak of the Salamander style effects as possible. And whatever other crazy wards we can imagine to give the planet.

Lastly, we want the planet and the Great Sky Turtle to become Vecna-blooded, so that we all forget about this fact of life, and nobody else can really learn about our defenses.

Alternately, just buy a Door of Wonders, set up base on the other side, and use Astral Projection to explore the multiverse.

Korahir
2021-03-01, 07:39 AM
So recently I have been interested in epic level organizations, and I recently decided to think of what things such characters are able to create.

As such, I offer this thought experiment: brainstorm the type of fortress an epic level organization could possibly create.

Some base rules:

-In this context, epic level means that there are about 6 leading characters who are 30+ in level, and at least a few thousands of characters at least 21st level. Any support needed from characters levels 1-20 is basically infinite, unless you need to do something like sacrifice them all or whatever.

Basically infinite level 20 chars? So why not start by building the fortress out of level 20 Wizards. Use a method to change them into stonblocks than have entire sections focus on different things: the divination tower, the calling - summoning barracks, the abjuration wall.

Destro2119
2021-03-01, 07:50 AM
Basically infinite level 20 chars? So why not start by building the fortress out of level 20 Wizards. Use a method to change them into stonblocks than have entire sections focus on different things: the divination tower, the calling - summoning barracks, the abjuration wall.

I mean, they'll give you their support, but not allow you to sacrifice/permanently use them like you proposed.

Destro2119
2021-03-01, 08:00 AM
There are some general principles I follow for such things - let's see if anyone can derive them from a specific example (or two):

So, the first step is to find a universe where the planet is moved, not by being carried by the Great Sky Turtle, but by being bull rushed by it.

Next, take the epic pf at its word, that "there is a domain of magic far removed from the mundane spellcraft of the non-epic. In the realm of spells above 9th level, previously insurmountable barriers are brushed easily aside, opening the caster up to a potential unavailable to any other characters. At this level, magic ceases to simply be the control of magical energy and steps into the realm of the manipulation of reality itself", and invent an epic spell to actually manipulate reality, by replacing a particular set of words in the rules. In particular, change rules on attacks is opportunity from "may" to "when an opponent provokes… must".

Therefore, anyone threatening the planet who is an opponent *must* take the AoO when it is bullrushed - which it is, multiple times per round by the Great Sky Turtle.

Next, we need to make attacking the planet brutal, by stacking as much untyped damage from Fire Shield / Cloak of the Salamander style effects as possible. And whatever other crazy wards we can imagine to give the planet.

Lastly, we want the planet and the Great Sky Turtle to become Vecna-blooded, so that we all forget about this fact of life, and nobody else can really learn about our defenses.

Alternately, just buy a Door of Wonders, set up base on the other side, and use Astral Projection to explore the multiverse.

"there is a domain of magic far removed from the mundane spellcraft of the non-epic. In the realm of spells above 9th level, previously insurmountable barriers are brushed easily aside, opening the caster up to a potential unavailable to any other characters. At this level, magic ceases to simply be the control of magical energy and steps into the realm of the manipulation of reality itself"

You know-- this is actually what I hope to predicate the organization I'm making on.

Quertus
2021-03-01, 08:06 AM
I mean, they'll give you their support, but not allow you to sacrifice/permanently use them like you proposed.

Oh they won't, eh?

What if we tied two dwoemers together (or made one's functioning conditional on the other)? Where the first dwoemer ensured loyalty (like planet-wide Mindrape), and the second was the transdimensional phasing whatever that allowed access to the alternate space that our clubhouse resides in?

Also, it would add hilarious new possibilities, and meaning to the phrase, "the walls have ears". :smallbiggrin:

King of Nowhere
2021-03-01, 08:42 AM

you can say they are the foundation of your fortress :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: also

T"there is a domain of magic far removed from the mundane spellcraft of the non-epic. In the realm of spells above 9th level, previously insurmountable barriers are brushed easily aside, opening the caster up to a potential unavailable to any other characters. At this level, magic ceases to simply be the control of magical energy and steps into the realm of the manipulation of reality itself"
what? they really wrote something so dumb? what would be those "insurmountable barriers"? as far as i am aware, when taken at face value and without massive dm bans, 9th level spells already have no limitations that cannot be circumvented, can do anything, and they definitely qualify as manipulating reality itself. i fail to see a meaningful difference.

Quertus
2021-03-01, 09:29 AM
I suppose I should also mention the Quertus way: it's just a jumble of towers. No traps or significant guards to speak of (just thousands of Simulacra, mostly of (lower-level) Quertus).

Anyone with even a lick of common sense would realize that stealing their bed and spare clothes, or their personal library (of nonmagical works, like Babbitty Rabbitty), or even the contents of their art museum, isn't worth getting on the bad side of someone with that much power.

what? they really wrote something so dumb? what would be those "insurmountable barriers"? as far as i am aware, when taken at face value and without massive dm bans, 9th level spells already have no limitations that cannot be circumvented, can do anything, and they definitely qualify as manipulating reality itself. i fail to see a meaningful difference.

I was tempted to start a new thread, asking for the worst over-hyped fluff Playgrounders have read, with this being my entry, but decided against it. Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts. Maybe in a few years, if sunshine and rainbows return to the world of men, I'll make such a thread.

False God
2021-03-01, 09:42 AM
Can the "Head 6" just have the "basically infinite supply of 1-20 peons" just worship them?

They'd immediately become gods of substantial power, entitling them to their own godly realm, of which they would have complete control over. Time, magic, teleporting in an out, as well as all of the protections that come with divinity.

Destro2119
2021-03-01, 10:08 AM
Can the "Head 6" just have the "basically infinite supply of 1-20 peons" just worship them?

They'd immediately become gods of substantial power, entitling them to their own godly realm, of which they would have complete control over. Time, magic, teleporting in an out, as well as all of the protections that come with divinity.

There are no RAW ways to do that, not like epic at least.

RNightstalker
2021-03-01, 12:08 PM
Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts. Maybe in a few years, if sunshine and rainbows return to the world of men, I'll make such a thread.

I look forward to the day!

Destro2119
2021-03-01, 12:55 PM
I suppose I should also mention the Quertus way: it's just a jumble of towers. No traps or significant guards to speak of (just thousands of Simulacra, mostly of (lower-level) Quertus).

Anyone with even a lick of common sense would realize that stealing their bed and spare clothes, or their personal library (of nonmagical works, like Babbitty Rabbitty), or even the contents of their art museum, isn't worth getting on the bad side of someone with that much power.

I was tempted to start a new thread, asking for the worst of overhyped fluff Playgrounders have read, with this being my entry, but decided against it. Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts. Maybe in a few years, if sunshine and rainbows return to the world of men, I'll make such a thread.

Suppose the Star Trek Enterprise shows up and tries to destroy the original Quertus. Will his base protect him?

Also, what do you mean by "worst of overhyped fluff"?

Quertus
2021-03-01, 05:50 PM
Suppose the Star Trek Enterprise shows up and tries to destroy the original Quertus. Will his base protect him?

No. The Simulacra know better than to risk the integrity of their experiments by getting involved in something so trivial. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, unlike the Quertus of yesteryear, today's Quertus would be quite intrigued by their presence, and would be sure to interrogate their Simulacra, their computer, etc, once he rendered them incapable of disrupting his research.

Of course, being buildings, the towers themselves may prove problematic to certain versions of the Enterprise, even beyond the high ionization of the atmosphere, or the heavy concentration of Phlebotinum. :smallwink:

Also, what do you mean by "worst of overhyped fluff"?

Over the top fluff, especially if it overshoots the crunch. If I can find it, I'll link to the playground lightning-themed class that was (intentionally) made of hype and fail.

Destro2119
2021-03-02, 10:00 AM
No. The Simulacra know better than to risk the integrity of their experiments by getting involved in something so trivial. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, unlike the Quertus of yesteryear, today's Quertus would be quite intrigued by their presence, and would be sure to interrogate their Simulacra, their computer, etc, once he rendered them incapable of disrupting his research.

Of course, being buildings, the towers themselves may prove problematic to certain versions of the Enterprise, even beyond the high ionization of the atmosphere, or the heavy concentration of Phlebotinum. :smallwink:

Over the top fluff, especially if it overshoots the crunch. If I can find it, I'll link to the playground lightning-themed class that was (intentionally) made of hype and fail.

But couldn' the Federation just nuke him or something?

Also, what would happen if the crew of the enterprise (around Voyager) were to meet Quertus? What would he think of them? What would THEY think of him? What would they be impressed by?

Jazath
2021-03-02, 12:15 PM

Some base rules:

Alright, so we're creating a fortress for experimentation? I'm thinking I would put it somewhere underground with improved Alarm spells, permanency runes that detect and alert of massive tremors underground. Also plenty of portals requiring gatekeys,
I'm thinking a giant building constructed with two layers of 6 foot magically treated adamantine. A wall of force between them.
Defensive magic would include some permanent Selective anti-magic fields. Allowing only members of the organization to use magic, A permanent epic spell that animates objects anywhere in or near the fortress including objects carried by attackers and characters, prismatic sphere, Give epic spells with the reveal and dispel seed that's self casting. They'll turn mostly anything up that possibly could surpass the Anti-Magic field. Contingent spells, A guards and wards spell permanently fixated on the place, self casting summoning spells and epic spells.
With objects being all animated and self-casting summoning spells, people trying to get in will be having a nightmarish time.
More Protection could be Adamantine golems guarding entrances
Also, basically infinite 20 level characters? Have them take feats that allow them to combine their efforts. Continent spells for nearly every defensive spell in the book. Weave the contingent spells together, if one tries to undo a single spell, multiple contingent contingent spells activate doing some nasty things to the person trying to dispel the spells.

Then activate self-casting time stop spells. Jazath did it once and it proved highly effective at capturing naughty individuals. But who would be stupid to attack 6 level 30+ people who have virtually unlimited sources? Either way someone looks at it their screwed. A planet/universe filled with some many high level characters........ shall I send a Borg Cube to scoop up everybody?

Quertus
2021-03-02, 02:36 PM
But couldn' the Federation just nuke him or something?

Also, what would happen if the crew of the enterprise (around Voyager) were to meet Quertus? What would he think of them? What would THEY think of him? What would they be impressed by?

The way most sci-fi has traditionally been integrated into D&D? Nuking him from orbit would disrupt his research, and make him grouchy. So *that* would probably impress them. (Whereas, if they went that route, their hostility would *not* impress him). The mostly primitive world wouldn't impress them, although the odd bit of tech might make them curious. Unless it killed them.

Quertus would find their tech… an odd mix of interesting and quaint. He would boggle at their poor design choices. Given the opportunity, he would study their tech, and integrate a few choice components into his star ship (well, at least into 1 of the two that survived).

Their culture would seem primitive and repressive ("so… strong neutrality, forcing good and evil *both* to become rebels?"), and he'd be mildly off-put by their lack of need for a spell component shop. Their scientific method of analyzing his magic would be… refreshing, and their tools to do so, while primitive, would be quite intriguing.

So, the Enterprise might be impressed by… Quertus shrugging off their attacks, him teleporting into their ship, him coming from a seemingly primitive world yet completely comprehending their schematics, him manipulating matter and life (including fixing his base with a wave of his hand), or him taking control of their computer.

Quertus might be impressed by… the fact that they made it to his world (queue Q), Data (have I got the right timeframe?), their power source, their ship weapons (phasers, at least), things that they never utilize (like exocomps), betazoid empathy, and possibly replicated diamonds.

Destro2119
2021-03-02, 02:43 PM
The way most sci-fi has traditionally been integrated into D&D? Nuking him from orbit would disrupt his research, and make him grouchy. So *that* would probably impress them. (Whereas, if they went that route, their hostility would *not* impress him). The mostly primitive world wouldn't impress them, although the odd bit of tech might make them curious. Unless it killed them.

Quertus would find their tech… an odd mix of interesting and quaint. He would boggle at their poor design choices. Given the opportunity, he would study their tech, and integrate a few choice components into his star ship (well, at least into 1 of the two that survived).

Their culture would seem primitive and repressive ("so… strong neutrality, forcing good and evil *both* to become rebels?"), and he'd be mildly off-put by their lack of need for a spell component shop. Their scientific method of analyzing his magic would be… refreshing, and their tools to do so, while primitive, would be quite intriguing.

So, the Enterprise might be impressed by… Quertus shrugging off their attacks, him teleporting into their ship, him coming from a seemingly primitive world yet completely comprehending their schematics, him manipulating matter and life (including fixing his base with a wave of his hand), or him taking control of their computer.

Quertus might be impressed by… the fact that they made it to his world (queue Q), Data (have I got the right timeframe?), their power source, their ship weapons (phasers, at least), things that they never utilize (like exocomps), betazoid empathy, and possibly replicated diamonds.

"mostly primitive world"

What world is he on? What laws do it follow? How do they interact with those laws?

"He would boggle at their poor design"

What poor design? How would he know better?

"Their scientific method of analyzing his magic would be… refreshing, and their tools to do so, while primitive, would be quite intriguing."

Why are their tools primitive? Also, couldn't Quertus just use an Arcane Focus (5e term) or an Bonded object and not worry about (mundane) components?

"Quertus shrugging off their attacks, him teleporting into their ship, him coming from a seemingly primitive world yet completely comprehending their schematics, him manipulating matter and life (including fixing his base with a wave of his hand), or him taking control of their computer."

How?

EDIT: Also, what level is Quertus?

Destro2119
2021-03-02, 02:46 PM
Alright, so we're creating a fortress for experimentation? I'm thinking I would put it somewhere underground with improved Alarm spells, permanency runes that detect and alert of massive tremors underground. Also plenty of portals requiring gatekeys,
I'm thinking a giant building constructed with two layers of 6 foot magically treated adamantine. A wall of force between them.
Defensive magic would include some permanent Selective anti-magic fields. Allowing only members of the organization to use magic, A permanent epic spell that animates objects anywhere in or near the fortress including objects carried by attackers and characters, prismatic sphere, Give epic spells with the reveal and dispel seed that's self casting. They'll turn mostly anything up that possibly could surpass the Anti-Magic field. Contingent spells, A guards and wards spell permanently fixated on the place, self casting summoning spells and epic spells.
With objects being all animated and self-casting summoning spells, people trying to get in will be having a nightmarish time.
More Protection could be Adamantine golems guarding entrances
Also, basically infinite 20 level characters? Have them take feats that allow them to combine their efforts. Continent spells for nearly every defensive spell in the book. Weave the contingent spells together, if one tries to undo a single spell, multiple contingent contingent spells activate doing some nasty things to the person trying to dispel the spells.

Then activate self-casting time stop spells. Jazath did it once and it proved highly effective at capturing naughty individuals. But who would be stupid to attack 6 level 30+ people who have virtually unlimited sources? Either way someone looks at it their screwed. A planet/universe filled with some many high level characters........ shall I send a Borg Cube to scoop up everybody?

What is Jazath's basic statline again? What organization is he part of?

PS: BTW, when I said "infinite level 20 wizards", I mean that you probably have a few thousand level 20 people loyal to you, but can buy services of many more due to infinite money.

Jazath
2021-03-02, 03:01 PM
What is Jazath's basic statline again? What organization is he part of?

PS: BTW, when I said "infinite level 20 wizards", I mean that you probably have a few thousand level 20 people loyal to you, but can buy services of many more due to infinite money.

We are Borg, but Jazath himself is part of the Council of Nth. And for his stats, he's pretty high. Like really really high. Triple digits.

Destro2119
2021-03-02, 03:12 PM
We are Borg, but Jazath himself is part of the Council of Nth. And for his stats, he's pretty high. Like really really high. Triple digits.

Got a sheet?

Jazath
2021-03-02, 03:19 PM

Hmmm? Sounds interesting. But, as we all know, Querus's resistance is futile. Lower his defenses and surrender his research. We will add his biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Quertus will adapt to service us.
Add star wars to this and we get "Jazath Strikes Back"

Got a sheet?

We had to use paper to draw up his stats, they were to much for the character sheet. I'll dig it out later, or simply type it up online.

Quertus
2021-03-02, 07:09 PM
"mostly primitive world"

What world is he on? What laws do it follow? How do they interact with those laws?

Quertus' "base" is on his home world of Placia.

Placia follows the rules of 2e D&D. Unlike most D&D worlds, it has a very high tech rating. Thus, the enterprise crew shouldn't notice anything strange by being here.

Of course, it also runs at an extremely accelerated rate (1 round to 1 day), in the "worst" possible interpretation of how that works, as just *one* of the reasons that traveling there… is usually beyond fatal.

Once you're there, many things are different, but… nothing they'd likely notice.

"He would boggle at their poor design"

What poor design? How would he know better?

Where to start?

Quertus would know better, because, like my 5-year-advisor substitute, he's not dumb.

(Looking through their history files)

"So, you cannot teleport through your shields. Many of the races you've encountered can. And you didn't acquire this tech because…?"

"Speaking of teleportation, you kill your people, them recreate them elsewhere. Very transhumanist of you. But, despite evidence that it isn't limited by souls, or any other singularity, you don't use this transhumanist tech to duplicate your people, or revive your dead?"

"And, despite this superior matter creation engine, your replicators are limited to a finite supply of proto-matter?"

As a taste of Quertus' confusion.

"Their scientific method of analyzing his magic would be… refreshing, and their tools to do so, while primitive, would be quite intriguing."

Why are their tools primitive?

Quertus' senses are superior. It's like they've got a magnifying glass, while he has a magical electron microscope.

Also, their tech is inferior to many beings in their own universe, let alone to that of the many universes to which Quertus has traveled (including his own, mind you).

So, primitive.

Also, couldn't Quertus just use an Arcane Focus (5e term) or an Bonded object and not worry about (mundane) components?

Quertus opens spell component shops on most worlds to which he travels. The fact that that would be like opening a bookstore on a borg cube is off-putting to my academia mage.

Just a triviality in comparison to the other issues.

"Quertus shrugging off their attacks, him teleporting into their ship, him coming from a seemingly primitive world yet completely comprehending their schematics, him manipulating matter and life (including fixing his base with a wave of his hand), or him taking control of their computer."

How?

Magic.

(The "understanding their schematics" bit he comes by honest, from being that familiar with engineering. It would, of course, involve looking at their schematics.)

EDIT: Also, what level is Quertus?

Not triple digit. But "deep epic". Far and away one of the highest level characters on his world (not that he realizes this).

But nowhere near the most powerful being in the world.

-----

Yes, the "Quertus method", while not practiced by Quertus in 3e, as his base resides on a 2e world, is still equally applicable in 3e.

Destro2119
2021-03-02, 09:08 PM
Quertus' "base" is on his home world of Placia.

Placia follows the rules of 2e D&D. Unlike most D&D worlds, it has a very high tech rating. Thus, the enterprise crew shouldn't notice anything strange by being here.

Of course, it also runs at an extremely accelerated rate (1 round to 1 day), in the "worst" possible interpretation of how that works, as just *one* of the reasons that traveling there… is usually beyond fatal.

Once you're there, many things are different, but… nothing they'd likely notice.

Where to start?

Quertus would know better, because, like my 5-year-advisor substitute, he's not dumb.

(Looking through their history files)

"So, you cannot teleport through your shields. Many of the races you've encountered can. And you didn't acquire this tech because…?"

"Speaking of teleportation, you kill your people, them recreate them elsewhere. Very transhumanist of you. But, despite evidence that it isn't limited by souls, or any other singularity, you don't use this transhumanist tech to duplicate your people, or revive your dead?"

"And, despite this superior matter creation engine, your replicators are limited to a finite supply of proto-matter?"

As a taste of Quertus' confusion.

Quertus' senses are superior. It's like they've got a magnifying glass, while he has a magical electron microscope.

Also, their tech is inferior to many beings in their own universe, let alone to that of the many universes to which Quertus has traveled (including his own, mind you).

So, primitive.

Quertus opens spell component shops on most worlds to which he travels. The fact that that would be like opening a bookstore on a borg cube is off-putting to my academia mage.

Just a triviality in comparison to the other issues.

Magic.

(The "understanding their schematics" bit he comes by honest, from being that familiar with engineering. It would, of course, involve looking at their schematics.)

Not triple digit. But "deep epic". Far and away one of the highest level characters on his world (not that he realizes this).

-----

Yes, the "Quertus method", while not practiced by Quertus in 3e, as his base resides on a 2e world, is still equally applicable in 3e.

"Quertus' senses are superior. It's like they've got a magnifying glass, while he has a magical electron microscope.

Also, their tech is inferior to many beings in their own universe, let alone to that of the many universes to which Quertus has traveled (including his own, mind you)."

What do you mean his senses are "superior?' In what way and how? Also, what kind of tech/magic/whatever does Quertus own that is so advanced?

"deep epic".

Give me a range, please. High 30s? Low 40s?

Also, how exactly can he "fix his base with a wave of his hand' or instantly hack their computer? What spell/ability does he use?

Quertus
2021-03-02, 10:29 PM
"Quertus' senses are superior. It's like they've got a magnifying glass, while he has a magical electron microscope.

Also, their tech is inferior to many beings in their own universe, let alone to that of the many universes to which Quertus has traveled (including his own, mind you)."

What do you mean his senses are "superior?' In what way and how?

I lack the vocabulary. Much like the electron microscope, Quertus' senses are more detailed than those that the enterprise has displayed. For an unrealistic example, look at the "fighting" senses on… the villain from resident evil 6.

For enterprise-relevant examples… Quertus would not have needed Data's tests, let alone being called ugly bags of mostly water, to recognize sentience. Nor could he ever have mistaken Lore for Data (their timestamps differ, the individual dust motes and fingerprints inside them differ, and Lore exhibits/feels emotions, among many other reasons).

Also, what kind of tech/magic/whatever does Quertus own that is so advanced?

I'm pretty sure we were talking exclusively about tech here.

*Own*? Other than his own ships, not much (he tends to give such tech away to allies rather than keep it - "**** it, Jim, I'm a Wizard, not an engineer"). But he has seen (and studied) plenty of much more advanced tech.

"deep epic".

Give me a range, please. High 30s? Low 40s?

Close enough. I stopped caring after level 42 :smallbiggrin:

Also, how exactly can he "fix his base with a wave of his hand' or instantly hack their computer? What spell/ability does he use?

Familiar with a Rod of Construct Control? Quertus built his own custom spell with a similar ability decades ago (and owns several such rods, to boot, to conserve on spells used). The computer is easy.

Rebuilding his base (were it attacked)… could be done one of a half dozen or more ways, but *most likely* would be accomplished via a custom True Dwoemer (2e epic spell) of mass temporal reversion. (IIRC, a Wish spell could accomplish the same thing, for "cheaper")

(That particular technique is… let's say… prohibitively expensive vs a *fleet* targeting him, or anything performing planet-wide bombardment, but really good for rebuilding his base once, and looking impressive doing so - which made it optimal for the scenario described)

Destro2119
2021-03-03, 07:32 AM
I lack the vocabulary. Much like the electron microscope, Quertus' senses are more detailed than those that the enterprise has displayed. For an unrealistic example, look at the "fighting" senses on… the villain from resident evil 6.

For enterprise-relevant examples… Quertus would not have needed Data's tests, let alone being called ugly bags of mostly water, to recognize sentience. Nor could he ever have mistaken Lore for Data (their timestamps differ, the individual dust motes and fingerprints inside them differ, and Lore exhibits/feels emotions, among many other reasons).

I'm pretty sure we were talking exclusively about tech here.

*Own*? Other than his own ships, not much (he tends to give such tech away to allies rather than keep it - "**** it, Jim, I'm a Wizard, not an engineer"). But he has seen (and studied) plenty of much more advanced tech.

Close enough. I stopped caring after level 42 :smallbiggrin:

Familiar with a Rod of Construct Control? Quertus built his own custom spell with a similar ability decades ago (and owns several such rods, to boot, to conserve on spells used). The computer is easy.

Rebuilding his base (were it attacked)… could be done one of a half dozen or more ways, but *most likely* would be accomplished via a custom True Dwoemer (2e epic spell) of mass temporal reversion. (IIRC, a Wish spell could accomplish the same thing, for "cheaper")

(That particular technique is… let's say… prohibitively expensive vs a *fleet* targeting him, or anything performing planet-wide bombardment, but really good for rebuilding his base once, and looking impressive doing so - which made it optimal for the scenario described)

"I lack the vocabulary. Much like the electron microscope, Quertus' senses are more detailed than those that the enterprise has displayed. For an unrealistic example, look at the "fighting" senses on… the villain from resident evil 6."

Yeah, but *how* is he able to do this?

"vs a *fleet* targeting him"
On a side note, how could he defeat the fleet?

"much more advanced tech."

Example please?

"after level 42"

How did he get so high level?

aglondier
2021-03-03, 08:35 AM
During the only 3.x campaign I've layed into epic levels, my chronomancer Red Wizard built a tower fortress within the very timestream itself, from which he could step out into most any era he desired with ease.

Building a home within conceptual realms makes it rediculously difficult for even epic level foes to access your lair...they have to understand the concept before they can even think of hunting you there...

Quertus
2021-03-03, 08:41 AM
"I lack the vocabulary. Much like the electron microscope, Quertus' senses are more detailed than those that the enterprise has displayed. For an unrealistic example, look at the "fighting" senses on… the villain from resident evil 6."

Yeah, but *how* is he able to do this?

Magic. :smallwink: I thought we converted this.

Really, you quoted the wrong bit:

That's the part you should have quoted.

And the answer is still "magic". Specifically, custom spells. Quertus is quite capable of playing 5d "Wizard Chess" information wars (well, at least on the "detecting" side).

Let's step through those.

Aura sight - seeing emotions - (especially coupled with… what are they called… "goggles of life sight", maybe?) covers both the first and last bits.

X-ray vision, the ability to see in the dark, a high spot check, and instant search covers examining their internals. (Technically, accomplished slightly differently, and redundantly (because different worlds have different rules, and Quertus is "optimized" to fail through bad tactics, not through lack of information, on each), but that should be the easiest to understand list of capabilities to get you close enough)

And the ability to fairly literally see timestamps ("how old are you?") covers, well, the seeing timestamps bit. (This sight is technically more complex, but "seeing timestamps" is one trivial use of it, just as "seeing the (light directly from the) sun" is one trivial use of our eyes)

As a few of *many* ways that he would never mistake them for one another.

"vs a *fleet* targeting him"
On a side note, how could he defeat the fleet?

Never said he could. He could, theoretically, and he *has* defeated entire fleets before, but that's not what I said

"much more advanced tech."

Example please?

Just watch Star Trek. Look at every civilization more advanced than the Federation. Assume he's met them, or expies of them, ten times over, and you'll be close enough for government work.

When you've seen tech that can teraform matter, energy, time, and the laws of reality, the enterprise looks quaint.

Far more advanced than most of Placia comprehends, mind. But low tech by Quertus' standards.

"after level 42"

How did he get so high level?

Adventuring :smallfrown:

Also, earning XP for those custom spells he invented, and the few items he's crafted (hooray 2e).

And the occasional RP award.

But mostly adventuring. He's saved over 100 worlds, after all - that wasn't by giving lectures on the proper (and improper) techniques for storing spell components, and recovery techniques for when they become soiled!

EDIT: not that any of this is really helpful to the topic of this thread, other than emphasizing the point that no, you really don't want to make enemies of epic Wizards - even tactically inept ones. Certainly not ones that have the authenticity of having been run as a PC, from first level, over decades, by a Playgrounder. :smallwink:

Jazath
2021-03-03, 10:36 AM

So thou keeps saying. I keep wondering what are his specifics. Is he strictly a wizard? Archmage/Wizard? Bard/Wizard? I'm dying to know!

Destro2119
2021-03-03, 10:46 AM
Getting back to the topic, let's expand a little-- what amenities/features would such a base have? What does its onboard "security team" look like? Could the CIA/FBI infiltrate it? Could Star Trek's forces in filtrate it? If not, why not?

Also, another thing: please explain HOW you create the various security measures/features. What spells/resources do you specifically need to create them? How do you power them?

martixy
2021-03-03, 10:57 AM
(their timestamps differ, the individual dust motes and fingerprints inside them differ, and Lore exhibits/feels emotions, among many other reasons).

I am intrigued by the crunchy basis of this.

Jazath
2021-03-03, 11:29 AM
Got a sheet?

Well, I'm not sure If I got everything but here you go.

Jazath The Phane (Huge Outsider) (603 Wizard/5 Archmage/32 Fighter/18 Legendary Dreadnought)
HD: 65d8+5,265/603d4+48,843/32d10+2,592/18d12+458/5d4+405 (62,055 hp)
Initiative: +27
Speed: 240 ft, Fly 360 ft (Perfect)
AC: 557 (-2 Size, +27 Dex, +11 Def, +23 Insight, +496 Jazaths Ultra Mage Amror
Attacks: 12 Verdex’s +625 melee (17-20)(x2)
Damage: Verdex (4d10+237)
Face/Reach: 15ft by 15ft/15ft
Special Attacks: Alter Reality, Assimilate, Chronal Blast, Spell-like, Stasis Touch, Summon Past Time Duplicate, Time Dilation, Time Leech
Special Qualities: Abomination Traits, Apocrypha, Arcane Fire, Arcane Reach, Mastery of Counterspelling, Mastery of Elements, Null Time Field, Spell Power +4, Spell Immunity/Absorption (203) SR 27, Seventh Sense, Time regression, DR 30/+6, Unstoppable (4/day), Unmovable (4/day), Fast Healing 15, Regeneration 15, Immunities (1-9th Spells, Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning, Sonic, Mind Affecting Effects, Prone, Poison, Temporal Magic)
Saves: Fort (+444) Ref (+390) Will (+430)
Abilities Str (--) Dex (64) Con (172) Int (762) Wis (144) Cha (82)
Skills: Omnicompetent, Spellcraft (+1,052)
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Craft Contingent Spell, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Rod, Craft Staff, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Items, Deceptive Spell, Empower Spell, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Greater Reflexes, Greater Spell Focus (x8), Greater Spell Penetration, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Heighten Spell, Improved Initiative, Invisible Spell, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Maximise Spell, Mobility, Quicken Spell, Scribe Scroll, Silent Spell, Spell Focus (x8), Spell Penetration, Still Spell, Transdimensional Spell, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (x3), Weapon Specialization, Weapon Supremacy
Epic Feats: Absolute Attack, Absolute Spell, Automatic Quicken Spell (x3), Automatic Silent Spell (x3), Automatic Still Spell (x3) ,Automatic Writing, Cataclysmic Spell, Craft Epic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Rod, Craft Epic Staff, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Deadly Spell, Devastating Critical, Dual Spell, Epic Endurance, Epic Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Epic Spell Focus (x8), Epic Spellcasting, Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Specialization, Epic Will, Good Fortitude, Good Reflexes, Good Will, Great Constitution (x50), Great Intellect (x60), Great Wisdom (x40), Hasten Spell, Improved Heighten Spell, Ineffable Spell, Intensify Spell, Multispell (x24), Overwhelming Critical, Perfect Spell, Permanent Emanation (x3) (Selective Anti-magic Field, Greater Anticipate Teleportation, Starmantle), Phrenology, Scribe Epic Spell, Sixth Sense, Spell Opportunity,True Death Spell
Divine Abilities: Apocrypha, Distant Gaze, Seventh Sense, Multifaceted (x4) (24 Extra Feats), Celerity, Postcognition, Precognition
Cosmic Abilities: Legendary Ability Scores (x6), Assimilate, Alter Reality, Enlightened, Elusion, Exclusivity,
Possessions: +200 Unerring, Keen, Vorpal, Ghost Touch, Everdancing, Sentient Greatsword (Verdex), Headband of Overwhelming Intellect (+250), Amulet Of Jazath, Cloak of The Void, Ring Of Evermagic, Colossal Bags of Holdings (x8), Borg Universal Connector Implant

Bag of Holding #1 (288 Singularity Grenades, Omnicorder, Ali-Bonaculars, Compass, 28 ft Silk Rope, +100 H-12 Modified Blacklaser Sniper Rifle, Hologram Emitter, Ansible, H-T Phase Cloaking Device, Holographic Digital Watch,

Epic Spells Made: Jazaths Dire Summoning, Jazaths Mass Animation, Jazaths Bolt of Destruction, Jazaths Self Heal, Jazaths Ultra Mage Armor, Jazaths Great Weakening, Jazaths Global Time Stop, Jazath Permanent Enslavement, Jazaths Ancient Resurrection, Jazaths Vanishing Act, Jazaths Affliction, Jazaths Caster Overwhelming, Jazaths Exploration, Jazaths Neutronium Conjuring, Jazaths Unbearable Torture, Jazaths Temporal Blast
*Fun fact, due to my really high Spellcraft most or all spells are Quickened, No Verbal and Somatic Components,

Destro2119
2021-03-03, 11:44 AM
Well, I'm not sure If I got everything but here you go.

Jazath The Phane (Huge Outsider) (603 Wizard/5 Archmage/32 Fighter/18 Legendary Dreadnought)
HD: 65d8+5,265/603d4+48,843/32d10+2,592/18d12+458/5d4+405 (62,055 hp)
Initiative: +27
Speed: 240 ft, Fly 360 ft (Perfect)
AC: 557 (-2 Size, +27 Dex, +11 Def, +23 Insight, +496 Jazaths Ultra Mage Amror
Attacks: 12 Verdex’s +625 melee (17-20)(x2)
Damage: Verdex (4d10+237)
Face/Reach: 15ft by 15ft/15ft
Special Attacks: Alter Reality, Assimilate, Chronal Blast, Spell-like, Stasis Touch, Summon Past Time Duplicate, Time Dilation, Time Leech
Special Qualities: Abomination Traits, Apocrypha, Arcane Fire, Arcane Reach, Mastery of Counterspelling, Mastery of Elements, Null Time Field, Spell Power +4, Spell Immunity/Absorption (203) SR 27, Seventh Sense, Time regression, DR 30/+6, Unstoppable (4/day), Unmovable (4/day), Fast Healing 15, Regeneration 15, Immunities (1-9th Spells, Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning, Sonic, Mind Affecting Effects, Prone, Poison, Temporal Magic)
Saves: Fort (+444) Ref (+390) Will (+430)
Abilities Str (--) Dex (64) Con (172) Int (762) Wis (144) Cha (82)
Skills: Omnicompetent, Spellcraft (+1,052)
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Craft Contingent Spell, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Rod, Craft Staff, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Items, Deceptive Spell, Empower Spell, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Greater Reflexes, Greater Spell Focus (x8), Greater Spell Penetration, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Heighten Spell, Improved Initiative, Invisible Spell, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Maximise Spell, Mobility, Quicken Spell, Scribe Scroll, Silent Spell, Spell Focus (x8), Spell Penetration, Still Spell, Transdimensional Spell, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (x3), Weapon Specialization, Weapon Supremacy
Epic Feats: Absolute Attack, Absolute Spell, Automatic Quicken Spell (x3), Automatic Silent Spell (x3), Automatic Still Spell (x3) ,Automatic Writing, Cataclysmic Spell, Craft Epic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Rod, Craft Epic Staff, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Deadly Spell, Devastating Critical, Dual Spell, Epic Endurance, Epic Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Epic Spell Focus (x8), Epic Spellcasting, Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Specialization, Epic Will, Good Fortitude, Good Reflexes, Good Will, Great Constitution (x50), Great Intellect (x60), Great Wisdom (x40), Hasten Spell, Improved Heighten Spell, Ineffable Spell, Intensify Spell, Multispell (x24), Overwhelming Critical, Perfect Spell, Permanent Emanation (x3) (Selective Anti-magic Field, Greater Anticipate Teleportation, Starmantle), Phrenology, Scribe Epic Spell, Sixth Sense, Spell Opportunity,True Death Spell
Divine Abilities: Apocrypha, Distant Gaze, Seventh Sense, Multifaceted (x4) (24 Extra Feats), Celerity, Postcognition, Precognition
Cosmic Abilities: Legendary Ability Scores (x6), Assimilate, Alter Reality, Enlightened, Elusion, Exclusivity,
Possessions: +200 Unerring, Keen, Vorpal, Ghost Touch, Everdancing, Sentient Greatsword (Verdex), Headband of Overwhelming Intellect (+250), Amulet Of Jazath, Cloak of The Void, Ring Of Evermagic, Colossal Bags of Holdings (x8), Borg Universal Connector Implant

Bag of Holding #1 (288 Singularity Grenades, Omnicorder, Ali-Bonaculars, Compass, 28 ft Silk Rope, +100 H-12 Modified Blacklaser Sniper Rifle, Hologram Emitter, Ansible, H-T Phase Cloaking Device, Holographic Digital Watch,

Epic Spells Made: Jazaths Dire Summoning, Jazaths Mass Animation, Jazaths Bolt of Destruction, Jazaths Self Heal, Jazaths Ultra Mage Armor, Jazaths Great Weakening, Jazaths Global Time Stop, Jazath Permanent Enslavement, Jazaths Ancient Resurrection, Jazaths Vanishing Act, Jazaths Affliction, Jazaths Caster Overwhelming, Jazaths Exploration, Jazaths Neutronium Conjuring, Jazaths Unbearable Torture, Jazaths Temporal Blast
*Fun fact, due to my really high Spellcraft most or all spells are Quickened, No Verbal and Somatic Components,

"really high Spellcraft most or all spells are Quickened, No Verbal and Somatic Components,"

How does high spellcraft give you all spells quickened?

"Cosmic Abilities"

What is this?

"Omnicompetence"

How did you get this? Is it RAW?

Jazath
2021-03-03, 11:51 AM
How does high spellcraft give you all spells quickened?
It doesn't 'By itself', I was referring to the fact it's +28 Dc modifier is easy for me to pass, I add it to all my spells. It's his signature thing

"Cosmic Abilities"

What is this?
From the Immortals Handbook, Since there really isn't any official material for leveling that high we took some rules and feats out of that particular material

"Omnicompetence"

How did you get this? Is it RAW?
No, it came from, yet again, the Immortal Handbook. It's the only thing out there that provides for us in a vital way. Also, his level was so high we calculated he very well could have all skills. With maximum ranks.

TIme Dilation allows me to take twice as many actions per round. Two epic spell, Two full attacks, ect.
Legendary Ability Scores doubles my ability score
Assimilate allows me to take a defeated opponents highest ability score into my own. And, as a houserule, their memories and experiences as well (Though not their level)

Destro2119
2021-03-03, 01:43 PM
It doesn't 'By itself', I was referring to the fact it's +28 Dc modifier is easy for me to pass, I add it to all my spells. It's his signature thing

From the Immortals Handbook, Since there really isn't any official material for leveling that high we took some rules and feats out of that particular material

No, it came from, yet again, the Immortal Handbook. It's the only thing out there that provides for us in a vital way. Also, his level was so high we calculated he very well could have all skills. With maximum ranks.

TIme Dilation allows me to take twice as many actions per round. Two epic spell, Two full attacks, ect.
Legendary Ability Scores doubles my ability score
Assimilate allows me to take a defeated opponents highest ability score into my own. And, as a houserule, their memories and experiences as well (Though not their level)

"It doesn't 'By itself', I was referring to the fact it's +28 Dc modifier is easy for me to pass, I add it to all my spells. It's his signature thing"

Explain this better? I don't see it in RAW.

Jazath
2021-03-03, 01:52 PM
"It doesn't 'By itself', I was referring to the fact it's +28 Dc modifier is easy for me to pass, I add it to all my spells. It's his signature thing"

Explain this better? I don't see it in RAW.

The Epic Level Handbook contains A Spell factor section for helping to create an epic spell. In that section is a "Quickened spell (limit one quickened action/round)" with a Spellcraft DC modifier of +28. I use that factor when making most of his epic spells. Are you in the Epic Level Handbook?
It's a level 10+ spell. So the Dungeon Master's Guide, the Players Guide and the Monster Manuals wouldn't contain that form of information for making a level 10 spell. The Epic Handbook does.

Destro2119
2021-03-03, 02:02 PM
The Epic Level Handbook contains A Spell factor section for helping to create an epic spell. In that section is a "Quickened spell (limit one quickened action/round)" with a Spellcraft DC modifier of +28. I use that factor when making most of his epic spells. Are you in the Epic Level Handbook?
It's a level 10+ spell. So the Dungeon Master's Guide, the Players Guide and the Monster Manuals wouldn't contain that form of information for making a level 10 spell. The Epic Handbook does.

So does that mean his normal spells are not quickened since it is only for epic spells?

Jazath
2021-03-03, 02:04 PM
So does that mean his normal spells are not quickened since it is only for epic spells?

Yes, it's the factor specifically for epic spell construction. Lower spells he can automatically quicken, but above 9th level he has to craft the factor into them since metamagic won't work with Epic Spells.

Quertus
2021-03-03, 02:28 PM
So thou keeps saying. I keep wondering what are his specifics. Is he strictly a wizard? Archmage/Wizard? Bard/Wizard? I'm dying to know!

3e? Wizard. (With some unique "learned tricks")

2e? "It's complicated". (Wizard, but… homebrew kit (and numerous unique "learned tricks")

Getting back to the topic, let's expand a little-- what amenities/features would such a base have? What does its onboard "security team" look like? Could the CIA/FBI infiltrate it? Could Star Trek's forces in filtrate it? If not, why not?

Also, another thing: please explain HOW you create the various security measures/features. What spells/resources do you specifically need to create them? How do you power them?

Sky Turtle
Amenities/features - it's a world. 10/10.
Security team - unneeded.
Infiltration - "infiltrator" sounds like a foe -> they die when forced to make an AoO.
Creation - GM. You don't make it, you find it.
Power source - reality.

Door of Wonders
Amenities/features - lots of rooms.
Security team - unneeded.
Infiltration - impossible pre-deity.
Creation - … Epic Craft Wondrous Item, presumably.
Power source - magic (technically unneeded after creation / entry?).

Tower-tropolis
Amenities/features - cold metal floors, bed pans.
Security team - none (Simulacra are noncom, for research & maintenance).
Infiltration - trivial; a 5-year-old could probably accomplish it.
Creation - ???
Power source - none (solar heating?).

I am intrigued by the crunchy basis of this.

Well… I kinda covered this before, but let's try again.

their timestamps differ - literally this. Just as our eyes see light, allowing us to evaluate, "that is blue" or "that is round", Quertus can, visa custom spells, see… something complicated, *one* component of which is the "creation timestamp".

the individual dust motes and fingerprints inside them differ - X-ray vision, dark vision, high perception, and instant search could cover this (although the actual method is filled with redundancies, due to different worlds operating on different principles).

Lore exhibits/feels emotions - Simple aura sight / the ability to see emotions covers this.

Destro2119
2021-03-04, 07:35 AM
Yes, it's the factor specifically for epic spell construction. Lower spells he can automatically quicken, but above 9th level he has to craft the factor into them since metamagic won't work with Epic Spells.

But automatic quicken spell only allows spells for up to 3rd level to be auto-quickened.

Also, who else is on the Council of Nth?

Jazath
2021-03-04, 12:31 PM
But automatic quicken spell only allows spells for up to 3rd level to be auto-quickened.

Also, who else is on the Council of Nth?

Automatic Quicken Spell
( Complete Arcane, p. 191)

[Epic]

You can cast any of your lesser spells with a moment's thought.

Prerequisite
Quicken Spell (PH) , Spellcraft 30 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane or divine spells,

Benefit
You can cast all 0-level and 1st-level spells as quickened spells without using higherlevel spell slots. The normal limit to the number of quickened spells you can cast per round applies. Spells with a casting time of more than 1 full round can't be quickened.

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take it, the spells of your next level can be quickened with no adjustment to their spell slots. Thus, a wizard who took this feat twice could quicken her 0-level through 2nd-level spells with no adjustment to their spell slots. This feat doesn't increase the casting time for those spells that normally require a full-round action to cast in metamagic form (including bard spells, sorcerer spells, and spontaneously cast spells such as a good cleric's cure spells).
Are you sure? You can take it multiple times.

Members include
The Dark Triad (Vortex, Gunther, Talashakmor) (3 Phanes)
Jazath (Me)
Zane (A crystalline psionic Entity)
Abstract (A Paragon Wyrmling Nexus Dragon)
Empress Vaxtronia (Leader of the Zonians)
Graagath (A God Cannibal)
Zoracksis (An Amidah Human who hunts deities for sport)
A Paragon Savant Aboleth (Oldest and the largest of his kind)

Destro2119
2021-03-05, 07:28 AM
Are you sure? You can take it multiple times.

Members include
The Dark Triad (Vortex, Gunther, Talashakmor) (3 Phanes)
Jazath (Me)
Zane (A crystalline psionic Entity)
Abstract (A Paragon Wyrmling Nexus Dragon)
Empress Vaxtronia (Leader of the Zonians)
Graagath (A God Cannibal)
Zoracksis (An Amidah Human who hunts deities for sport)
A Paragon Savant Aboleth (Oldest and the largest of his kind)

Basic levels/statlines for each, please?

Jazath
2021-03-05, 12:08 PM

Still in construction. We will give you the stats soon.

Jazath
2021-03-06, 01:48 PM

The Dark Triad are three Paragon Level 158 Chromomancer Phanes
Abstract is a Paragon Wyrmling Nexus Dragon (68 Wizard/5 Archmage)
Zane (230 Psionic/230 Psychic Warrior)
Empress Vaxtronia (90 Fighter/120 Bard)
Graagath (an entity)
Zoracksis (506 Fighter/120 Legendary Dreadnought/30 Rogue/42 Ranger)
A Paragon Savant Aboleth (409 Wizard/5 Archmage/50 Loremaster/5 Savant Aboleth/5 Archwizard)

Bphill561
2021-03-06, 04:50 PM
Well first I think you would require all members to have the Landlord feat from the Stronghold builders guide, that would pretty much cover the costs (especially with so many 20+ level members).

I not going to speculate on level 200+ level guards, but I do like sharns from Anaruoch The Empire of Shade. Best part they are made with merged mortals and spell casters, so you can make more.

CR8 is base with 4HD. Give them the otherworldly feat so they are outsiders

+5 CR for 8 outsider HD and a size increase to Huge (+8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con)

+6 CR for Multiheaded Template +11 Head which nets + 22HD and +22 Con. Also Perfect weapon fighting with your 9 arms

So a CR of 19 with 4+30HD. Every two HD gives + 1 sorcerer and favored Soul casting. Each HD gives +1 to all mental stats

Final: Sorcerer 21 Caster, Favored Soul 21 Caster Level, Naked ability scores Str 26, Dex 18, Con 46, Int 48, Wis 48, Cha 30
BAB 27 Fort 19+18 Reflex 19+4 Will 19+19

Plus you can still pick feats and spell buffs. You can raise the CR to 20 with a two more non-caster class levels like Fighter. The Pugilist variant from dragon 311 can get a special feat that reduces non-lethal damage by your Con modifier. Useful for the sharn's regeneration ability since the Con mod is 18 base.

Nice non-epic fodder to go with your other crazies.

The Mythal seed is also helpful to restrict fortress access and give lots of buffs.

Jack_Simth
2021-03-06, 05:11 PM
Do it off-plane.

Step 1: Find (or make, via Genesis) a plane that's Timeless with respect to Magic but is otherwise normal enough.
Step 2: Go there, and cast Mage's Magnificient Mansion to create a big set of hallways (ideally be a Dweomerkeeper and do it via Supernatural Spell on Miracle).
Step 3: Enter.
Step 4: Cast Mage's Magnificent Mansion repeatedly to create all the "rooms" you need, going from the hallway to the new mansion.
Step 5: Ward that up as much as you reasonably can (Forbiddance most places (leave a small amount of room around the doors themselves, plus any Conjouration rooms you might need, although those should have some way of blocking the non-forbiddance'd portions, such as dropping a big old block over that area) - again, via Dweomerkeeper, Supernatural Spell, and Miracle - Mage's Private Sanctum, guards, traps, and so on).

Why should that be your keystone? Well, Mage's Magnificent Mansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesMagnificentMansion.htm) has a nice clause to it: "Only those you designate may enter the mansion". It also lets you make some non-casters in.

Yes, there's a PrC that can enter it anyway.
Yes, Wish has that "regardless of location conditions" clause.
Yes, some readings of the spell will late Plane Shift and Gate work to get an adversary in.
Those concerns are why step 5.

unseenmage
2021-03-08, 09:27 PM
Quintessence flooded rooms as the only non warded entry point makes a decent trap even at epic levels.

Not that its not circumvebtable, just that the ways to do so are rather specific.

Destro2119
2021-03-10, 07:12 PM
Posting here b/c your inbox might be full, Quertus:

Why specifically those two rules (Spell points/mother cyst)? What do they actually, mechanically do that helps you?

Quertus
2021-03-11, 07:56 AM
Posting here b/c your inbox might be full, Quertus:

Why specifically those two rules (Spell points/mother cyst)? What do they actually, mechanically do that helps you?

I… think that you've got the wrong thread on this one.