PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What is a "ranged weapon" in 3.5? Or: How does the Primary Source Rule work

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-01, 12:51 AM
This is a discussion that emerged in the defensive fighter thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?625928-Defensive-Fighter). I would highly recommend to read it to have an overview of the discussion so far. the topic comes up around post #28 and the discussion gets in full motion at page 2.

"It's about melee weapons which have a range increment and thus can be thrown"
"Do they count as ranged weapon per 3.5 rules?"

My intention here is to showchase how the Primary Source Rule (and its byproduct "Specific beats General") connect the rules in 3.5 together. But as it seems we have different views about that in the community.
Thus I would like anybody interested to join this "friendly" conversation. We may have different opinions here, but we argue for the sake of RAW and are not arguing here to get emotional/angry.
And just because we argue what RAW is, that doesn't mean that anybody advises you to play RAW.
So pls don't get the wrong impressions here ;)

I'll start where we stopped and thus will quote Darg's last reply:

Ranged Attacks: With a ranged weapon, you can shoot or throw at any target that is within the weapon’s maximum range and in line
of sight.

There is no permission to make a ranged attack with a melee weapon. There is no text that says a thrown melee weapon becomes a ranged weapon to qualify for making ranged attacks. One can not make a ranged attack with a melee weapon without a third party such as the Throw Anything feat.

"Reading between the lines" to come to a conclusion that doesn't make sense to everyone else when the alternative is perfectly functional and has no dysfunction within the rules without requiring permission from the player rather than the rules themselves doesn't make sense. We have pointed out flaws with your argument and presented counter arguments where the foundation has yet to be challenged in any significant way.

Good to know that you have still problems with Specific beats General (but doesn't become General). Those melee weapons that "can" be thrown call this out and as such give you the permission to "use" em as thrown weapon in combat (make ranged attacks). But that's it. It doesn't allow for enhancements to target em as thrown weapon.
Compare it with Shields. They also allow to be used as weapon. And they call out a specific rule exception that lets them also be enchanted as weapon. Do those melee weapons that can be thrown make any similar call? No.

The rules do call out thrown weapons being ranged weapons in several places. Ones which have been quoted in this very thread. The book even provides a definition for one to use at the back of the book. If the only result of presenting this evidence is being slapped in the face with primary source logic that ignores topic precedence , a discussion cannot be had.
You quoted the "general" definition of "ranged attacks". But its the definition of "melee weapons" that some can be "used to be thrown" (specific). This is further specified by the definition of those weapons and reflected by their range increment in the weapons table, despite them being categorized as melee weapons. That allows those melee weapons to be thrown. But nowhere do the rules give you the permission to treat em as "ranged weapon". Just because you can use something for a thrown weapon attack doesn't turn it into a "thrown weapon" by 3.5 definitions.
Those weapons are clearly defined as melee weapons by the weapons list and only have the specific permission to be thrown in combat. Nothing more, nothing less.

And as said: the primary source is the "weapons" section in the PHB and sets the rules. Any quotes from any other source is "specific" and can only alter rules for its niche. They don't become global rules. Imagine again my real life example: Just because a broken bottle can be used as "weapon" to harm someone (specific), you don't get sued for breaking a bottle by accident (a general situation) for possessing a weapon.
As such, melee weapons that can be thrown are not "ranged weapons".

hamishspence
2021-03-01, 01:51 AM
Just because you can use something for a thrown weapon attack doesn't turn it into a "thrown weapon" by 3.5 definitions.
Those weapons are clearly defined as melee weapons by the weapons list and only have the specific permission to be thrown in combat. Nothing more, nothing less.

Any weapon "can be thrown in combat" at a -4 penalty. "Thrown weapons" are designed to be thrown, and don't have that -4 penalty.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#thrownWeapons

Thrown Weapons
Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll.

So, even if you're making a distinction between "weapon that can be used for a thrown weapon attack" and "thrown weapon", the rules are explicit that many melee weapons (the ones underlined) are thrown weapons.

So, the proposed distinction is between "thrown weapons that happen to be effective in melee" and "thrown weapons that happen to be ineffective in melee".

Which is not a particularly important distinction - a thrown weapon is a thrown weapon is a thrown weapon.

You quoted the "general" definition of "ranged attacks". But its the definition of "melee weapons" that some can be "used to be thrown" (specific). This is further specified by the definition of those weapons and reflected by their range increment in the weapons table, despite them being categorized as melee weapons. That allows those melee weapons to be thrown. But nowhere do the rules give you the permission to treat em as "ranged weapon".
The DMG, instead of using the phrase "can be used to make ranged attacks" for certain melee weapons, like daggers, uses the phrase "can be used as ranged weapons" (page 221). And it was written by the same people that wrote the PHB.

It's pretty clear that for the D&D writers, "used to make ranged attacks" is synonymous with "used as a ranged weapon".

And the much later Rules Compendium - the primary source that gets to override all previous books, in the section on Melee and Ranged weapons (page 150), after

Ranged weapons are thrown weapons or projectile weapons that are not effective in melee.

says:

Some melee weapons can be thrown, bridging these two categories

So, even if you ignore the DMG as "not the primary source" the Rules Compendium makes it clear that the ability to be thrown is all that it takes, to make something a ranged weapon.

Think of it as errataing the PHB with that extra line, clarifying the issue.

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-01, 02:37 PM
Any weapon "can be thrown in combat" at a -4 penalty. "Thrown weapons" are designed to be thrown, and don't have that -4 penalty.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#thrownWeapons

So, even if you're making a distinction between "weapon that can be used for a thrown weapon attack" and "thrown weapon", the rules are explicit that many melee weapons (the ones underlined) are thrown weapons.

So, the proposed distinction is between "thrown weapons that happen to be effective in melee" and "thrown weapons that happen to be ineffective in melee".

Which is not a particularly important distinction - a thrown weapon is a thrown weapon is a thrown weapon.
Point for you. A clear Primary Source quote that melee weapons (designed to be thrown) are thrown weapons (for all purposes).
(This is the kind of arguments I've been looking for and I am grateful that you could point me to this one.)

The DMG, instead of using the phrase "can be used to make ranged attacks" for certain melee weapons, like daggers, uses the phrase "can be used as ranged weapons" (page 221). And it was written by the same people that wrote the PHB.

It's pretty clear that for the D&D writers, "used to make ranged attacks" is synonymous with "used as a ranged weapon".
"can be used as" ranged weapon != "is/are/counts as" weapon
It is only referring to the "use" in combat. It doesn't say that it "counts as" nor that it "can be targeted as" ranged weapon for any other purpose.

And the much later Rules Compendium - the primary source that gets to override all previous books, in the section on Melee and Ranged weapons (page 150), after

says:

So, even if you ignore the DMG as "not the primary source" the Rules Compendium makes it clear that the ability to be thrown is all that it takes, to make something a ranged weapon.

Think of it as errataing the PHB with that extra line, clarifying the issue.

While you are right that the Rules Compendium would have the power to alter the PHB, it doesn't in this chase.

Some melee weapons can be thrown, bridging these two categories

This sentence describes how some melee weapons can also count as thrown weapons (which I had been wrong on so far, as I admitted above), but still doesn't let those melee weapons count as ranged weapons. It bridges melee weapons with thrown weapons (and not ranged weapons. That is not what the sentences says.) Those melee weapons still disqualify as ranged weapon due to the "not effective in melee" requirement. The text doesn't say "most ranged weapons are ineffective in melee". The "bridge" is just reffering to the quote that you posted above "about some melee weapons being thrown weapons at the same time". Not more not less.

hamishspence
2021-03-01, 02:51 PM
It bridges melee weapons with thrown weapons (and not ranged weapons. That is not what the sentences says.)

Melee and Ranged Weapons
Melee weapons are used for making melee attacks, though some of them can be thrown as well. Ranged weapons are thrown weapons or projectile weapons that are not effective in melee. Some melee weapons can be thrown, bridging these two categories.

I can't read it any way other than "bridging the two categories, melee weapon and ranged weapon". That's why the Throwing Axe is an entry in the Common Ranged Weapons table in the DMG.

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-02, 11:40 PM
I can't read it any way other than "bridging the two categories, melee weapon and ranged weapon". That's why the Throwing Axe is an entry in the Common Ranged Weapons table in the DMG.

And I can only read the sentence for itself:

Some melee weapons can be thrown, bridging these two categories.
It refers to those melee weapons who also count as thrown weapon and bridges these two categories (still not ranged weapons).

DMG can at its best make exceptions for its own niche but can't set global rules. As such, the Throwing Axe is still a melee weapon and not a ranged weapon.

___

We still lack any evidence in the primary source that those melee weapon that are also thrown weapon could also be ranged weapons. The general rule never did give you the permission to do so. Only specific situations allow you to do so and these make explicit call outs for their niche.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-03-03, 01:26 AM
Thrown weapons bridge two categories of weapons. On this we are all agreed (unless I'm misunderstanding the argument, in which case I apologize). However, I can't help but find it a little silly to argue that one of those two categories is also thrown weapons. It may be a valid reading in English*, but the idea that such recursion was the intent strikes me as unlikely.

*Seriously, couldn't Wizards have hired just one pedantic English major to go through their books and point out these ambiguities? ...Okay, in fairness, that actually sounds like a really tough job. Still, there are people that do this for a living.

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-03, 10:12 AM
Thrown weapons bridge two categories of weapons. On this we are all agreed (unless I'm misunderstanding the argument, in which case I apologize). However, I can't help but find it a little silly to argue that one of those two categories is also thrown weapons. It may be a valid reading in English*, but the idea that such recursion was the intent strikes me as unlikely.

*Seriously, couldn't Wizards have hired just one pedantic English major to go through their books and point out these ambiguities? ...Okay, in fairness, that actually sounds like a really tough job. Still, there are people that do this for a living.

It's the other way around: Those melee weapons that can be thrown bride those two categories (melee and thrown weapons). "Thrown weapons" is not the "bridge" here. It's (thrown weapons) just one of the anchor points and "melee weapons" is the other. The actual bridge are sole those melee weapons that can also be thrown (without penalty).