PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Sphere (Spheres in Review)

SangoProduction
2021-03-01, 03:03 AM
Yeah. Easily one of least favorite of the Spheres of Might. Aside from Leadership sphere, but that's for an entirely different reason.
I look forward with bated breath to the comments telling me about how it's not terrible. Or to seeing how good it actually is in my own review.

Post-Review Analysis: Nope. Not convinced. It's up to the commenters. Definitely feels like a sphere with exclusively the Sage class in mind. And the Sage has so many better things it could be doing with its time.
Full or Partial BAB: The bonus to-hit means relatively more when you're partial BAB vs full BAB. There are a couple talents that do lightly scale with BAB, although barely anything to write home about.

Flex Talents: ...I'm stretching hard, but...Launching Uppercut for when you need to get your team up to high ground, and are already a Bull Rush build.

Ranking system:
(S) Superb: You always want this. It's awesome.
(G) Good: These make useful additions to the right builds.
(M) Meh: While perhaps better than nothing, you are giving up something for it, so probably shouldn't without a good reason.
(N) No.

<Angle brackets> around a rating indicates situational usefulness, and how good it is in that favorable situation.
(C) Cheese: A talent so broken that it will be instantly banned if you use it as you could.
(I) Impossible: Can't be rated because it is just not defined well enough to give a meaningful rating - it depends too much on DM ruling, or personal use. I'll just place it where I guess the average result would put it.
(F) Flavor: This indicates that the main draw to the talent is going to be its inherent fluff or flavor, rather than raw power or utility.

(G-S): Powerful talents that are almost, but not quite, universally useful or desirable.
(M-G): These are pretty reasonable talents of mediocre strength.
(N-M): It technically has a use, but the cost simply doesn't outweigh the benefit.

Base Sphere
Counter Punch (<G>): So here's the deal. You give up your standard action in order to maybe make an attack at some point in the future, against some random target (because it specifically says "next" rather than "any"). With a +2 bonus damage! Truly game breaking. Oh, but it also explicitly doesn't change your place in initiative. Cool. I mean, I unironically appreciate it, when it's ready action. And the choice of whether or not you get to attack is entirely in the hands of the enemy. And it's limited to exclusively light melee weapons (obviously with the intent of Unarmed Strikes). So, that's pretty bad. Even ignoring the opportunity cost of just using your standard action for literally anything else, like getting a half dozen attacks in with Barrage or what have you.

But maybe I'm being a bit harsh on it...no, not really. But, devil's advocate! So, the additional triggers are relatively broad, which means that it's not a complete and total crap shoot whether or not you get to attack. And you can strategically use it to prevent given actions. Although how many brutes would choose to not attack, just to avoid your attack? So yeah, it's semi-reliable (just delayed), given either a large set of enemies, or very simple enemies (which are common), and even has the anti-spell caster thing. And hitting a mage while they are casting is the easiest way to ruin their day, and you get not only your opportunity attack but your prepared attack.
There are quite a few quick spells which can basically be thrown away for the purposes of diverting your counter punch, although you'd still perhaps have your AoO for their next, real spell. (Granted, mages are rather uncommon enemies due to them requiring so much more effort to prepare than "pokey stick man hit hard.")

Plus it's not a strict loss, because it does count as an attack action, not merely an attack. So, yes, it doesn't allow for Special Attack Actions, but anything that triggers off an Attack Action like Dual Wielding sphere or Vital Strike would still apply....though they would also still apply if you used literally any other attack action.

And by a very liberal reading, there is no range limitation, effectively allowing for cross-planar teleportation to the next creature to fulfil your conditions, so that you can punch them in the face. But that reading is also highly dysfunctional, and probably results in a lost character after its first use. Or it might just be an extradimensional slap. Who knows. It also doesn't specify that it's a light weapon that you are necessarily wielding.

A still liberal, but less dysfunctional reading allows you to make the attack anywhere in your threatened area, as though you were making an AoO...as a standard action. Thus, it would have synergies with Guardian sphere's patrol package. This would make it less bad, compared to just completely losing out on your attack if they 5ft step away, since there are no reach light weapons (ignoring wrong-sized weapons).

Hair Trigger (<S+>): Relative to the absolute travesties of melee Boxing, this is 10x more effective at just...being reliable. Unfortunately, it requires a ranged weapon, which doesn't make it truly universal to all Boxing sphere builds. But it's perhaps the most powerful talent in the sphere. What with getting to have your targets be anyone in 120ft, as compared to the +5 ft of other talents. Difficult to control who you attack, but same deal with the base sphere.

Raging Bull (<S>): Depending on reading, this is either a very cool addition to counter punch, letting you get +15ft reach without real investment...or it's literally an override of Counter Punch, and loses literally any benefit from the rest of the sphere. The literal text implies the latter, and doesn't even benefit from charge multiplication.
Heavy Counter (S): The wording of Counter Punch is incredibly vague. So, theoretically, with this, and a liberal reading, you can have both a spear and your unarmed strike, and you'd get to choose between which ever one, as soon as a condition is fulfilled. Take the Equipment sphere Fast Draw, and one might even be able to justify getting your choice of Bow, Spear or Fist from the same Counter Punch. Of course...you could just attack normally, and you'd already have that choice, without spending so many talents, but...um... Uh... I mean it's like really cool man!

Gazelle Punch (G-S): Another talent dedicated to "hey, stop 5ft stepping away and negating my whole turn!" This one's pretty good, and comes bundled with the Counter Punch's standard action.
Shoulder Roll (<G-S>): Know what? If you have a ton of AoO, and you're reliably getting targeted in melee, then this is a great way to make use of your excess AoOs.

KO Focus (G): At first I thought it was just whenever you used Counter Punch. You have to deal damage with it. Which is incredibly unreliable. But it is at least an immediate action, which is better than even a swift action because it borrows from your next turn, not current turn.
Elongated Step (G): A stance that grants you 5 ft of range for your counter punch. And unlike Corkscrew Set Up, there's no chance to miss out on your "don't let them just 5 ft step away" deal. But it does take your swift action or martial focus like all stances.
Corkscrew Set Up (G): Wow. The devs spotted this weakness before I did. Now, you can also attempt to attack a target to stop it from just stepping out of range of your attack. You could just...attack on your turn and not have this issue, but it is what it is - a talent tax.
Prizefighter (G): Gains an Extra Trigger, and more potential triggers to choose from (relatively niche one, but still). Nice. No automatic retraining though.

Rope A Dope (M-G): Not sure why the "once per round" was specified, when it already takes an immediate action. But hey. A 1 round fatigue on a failed save if they attack you. Neat. More rounds as you get more BAB.
Extra Trigger (M-G): Less of an opportunity for your enemies to just completely negate your attack that round, without giving up serious tactical - oh, ok, they just had the mook soak your action. Well, at least you got to attack. Can't complain about that. Well, not when using this sphere. But explicit automatic retraining is nice.
Headfake (<M-G>): If you're finding yourself provoking attacks of opportunities a lot, this is -5 to hit, on average, which is better and more versatile than Mobility. Hardly the poster child of a great feat, but it is better than that. Might actually be useful as a dip for a caster.

Tight Guard (M): A conditional, non-stacking Dodge. But it can scale with BAB, so that's neat, once you've got a good several levels in.

Violent Pressure (N-M): Swift action shaken is normally pretty great. Shaken's like a golden standard debuff. What could possibly - Oh. One round duration. On a failed will save. Once a day.
Sucker Punch (N-M): Turn an AoO into a Counter Punch, at the cost of Martial Focus and staggered for 1 round. Borrowing from your future actions. Obviously this relies a hell of a lot on the Counter talents.
Dug In Blow (N-M): DR 2 is unimpressive. DR 2 that is conditional and lasts for less than 1 round, and demands you never move, is even less so. At least it scales at a rate of 1/3 BAB, which is the most BAB impressive scaling I've seen in all of the spheres. If this just triggered when you declared a Counter Punch, then this would obviously be much better.

Floating Butterfly (N): So, basically giving up any fringe benefits this sphere might provide, in the hopes of being slightly harder to hurt. You could...also...like...full defensive. Doesn't even use a talent.
Cross Counter (N-): In order to use this for a single attack, you must provoke an AoO, and they must take it, and you must spend an AoO and your martial focus. What in the hell is this? Clearly it's meant to be a means of defense, and not something you intentionally proc, but it doesn't even work for that purpose unless you hit. No. Especially with Headfake being literally in the same sphere...

Read the Rhythm (G): Strictly speaking, the bonus doesn't have horrible scaling, has a ...single minute's... duration and is very versatile...before it's used. But you can only use it once per day per target, and only one target at a time. Generally, this is insufficient for stealthing due to all the limitations applied to it. Literally half of the text is dedicated to the limitations placed on this relatively modest, out of the blue, talent. Someone was very scared of this talent's use. But it still has decent, largely face-based uses.

Shadow Boxing (M): Well, replacing Intimidate with Perform (dance) is certainly...niche, but it is effectively letting you turn Acrobatics into a charisma skill. If you're using Background Skills, this bumps up. And a 1 minute fascinate on a failed will save is neat.

Forceful Smash (G-S): Now, this is pretty neat. A great little Quarter Back talent, which has you tackling people away from those you want to protect. I love it.
Loopy Blow (<G-S>): 1 round confusion is pretty neat. Especially for countering casters. Forcing them to roll with advantage on confusion...holy hell. Now that's a reason to work battered into your build. Possibly C level, if you have reliable battered. The duration is literally 1 round, and requires the use of Counter Punch, and for the battered target to knowingly activate your counter punch. So maybe not. But I really like this talent. Of course... remember that Confusion affects roll at the beginning of the subject's turns, not in the middle. So it will affect their next turn, but not the one you just interrupted.

Disarming Jab (<G>): Assuming you're reliably fighting things that use items, which can be somewhat reliable, disarm can be a useful tactic. Those things also tend to be humanoids with much lower CMD per CR than most monsters.
Liver Shot (G): Fort save or sickened ... for 1 round. But still.
Jolt Counter (<G>): Flat footed is pretty neat. Enables sneak attack...even though you probably want more than 1 attack if you're using that. But if you're lucky, you're targeting an elven archer, and getting a substantial effective bonus to hit.
Terrifying Hook (G): As a rider effect, it's not bad. But if you're really wanting to make use of this, you'd probably want to actually invest into intimidate, and then it becomes a lot less enticing to use this sphere rather than Gladiator.

Launching Uppercut (M-G): On average, you will roll 10.5. So you can essentially just translate every point of bonus to your Bull Rush into 1/5 of ... oh. That's really not a lot. But it's a much, much more neat and fun way to Aid Other...a very...lackluster combat action... But I guess the main, real appeal is to actually affect an enemy and force them to save or go prone, if you both hit and succeed your bull rush. And potentially add a bit more fall damage if you can really pump up the CMB.

Knuckle Crusher (N-M): Very minor malus to enemy damage. Unless they are a natural attack spammer.
Dizzying Maul (I): As a Counter Talent? Pretty worthless. If you wanted to trip, you can just trip. You can even explicitly give up an attack in order to make a trip in an attack sequence. And skill checks are significantly easier than a save. As an additional trigger? I mean, it's be pretty reliable if another party member was an Open Hand user. I don't think said user would really have the actions open for Counter Punch though.

Clinch (N): I mean, a grapple-dedicated build might find it neat. Though that required them giving up their initial grapple on their turn to instead use Counter Punch, and then only gets the grapple on a successful Counter Punch. Not to mention the talents involved.
Haymaker (N): Initially thought it would be pretty neat, since countering casters is kinda the big deal for this sphere. But...wow. Look at that penalty. Wouldn't even be worth healing to get rid of it, so at least it will be there reliably, unless they just incidentally healed.

Rynjin
2021-03-01, 03:16 AM
My main use for Boxing in the past WAS for Clinch, actually, as the Wrestling Sphere is quite good. The Boxing Sphere...less so on its own. Giving up your attack honestly isn't that bad, at least at low levels, since you basically just get a free +2 damage on your attack, and do obviate the "moving first sucks" clause that martials have when they win initiative.

It is, I think, a decent supplementary Sphere, and great for living out your dreams of playing a Hajime no Ippo character (Jolt Counter is the big one that reveals it was written by a fan of that series, and not just boxing in general), but not great for your primary Sphere, and easily the weakest of the three unarmed Spheres.

SangoProduction
2021-03-01, 06:01 AM
My main use for Boxing in the past WAS for Clinch, actually, as the Wrestling Sphere is quite good. The Boxing Sphere...less so on its own. Giving up your attack honestly isn't that bad, at least at low levels, since you basically just get a free +2 damage on your attack, and do obviate the "moving first sucks" clause that martials have when they win initiative.

It is, I think, a decent supplementary Sphere, and great for living out your dreams of playing a Hajime no Ippo character (Jolt Counter is the big one that reveals it was written by a fan of that series, and not just boxing in general), but not great for your primary Sphere, and easily the weakest of the three unarmed Spheres.

Oh. It's to damage. Oof.

Do go into detail about how Clinch was better for you than just grappling right away. I'd be interested.

Rynjin
2021-03-01, 06:10 AM
Oh. It's to damage. Oof.

Do go into detail about how Clinch was better for you than just grappling right away. I'd be interested.

Basically? It's ghetto Grab. Since Grab is so hard to get ahold of, getting to throw a punch and deal some extra damage on the grapple is nice, since you can then go into the whole Suplex City combo afterward. Combos well with Sucker Punch too. This ghetto grab also sometimes has the side benefit of canceling the enemy's action, since you lose a lot of options when grappled.

But primarily, it would also mean I get two Tension points from the same action (I was playing a Strong Style Grappler Striker) so I could spend those points much faster on average for stuff like loads of temp HP or condition removal.

It's definitely a three or so talent wonder of a Sphere, but it can supplement other Spheres nicely with niche uses like this.

SangoProduction
2021-03-01, 06:17 AM
oh. Neat. I'll take note.

Lirya
2021-03-01, 09:21 AM
I kind of agree that Boxing is a bit disappointing. I have used it in play on a BBEG to perform iaijutsu strikes combined with Draw Cut from Duelist with Boxing (Draw Cut requires that you ready an attack action, which is the good part. Since you are already readying an attack action, you might as well combine it with Boxing). I have also played a bit around with Boxing to initiate grapple with Clinch as I think the action economy works out better than pure Wrestling.

Boxing was really good during the playtest when Launching Uppercut pretty much automatically generated extra attacks of opportunity, but that
didn't survive to the final product.

astrerouge
2021-03-02, 02:55 AM
how do you think would boxing sphere feel power wise if the adventurous adventurer feat from 3.5 was permitted in a game?
It's a regional feat that lets you do your readied action whenever you want
considering the power of the sphere compared to its limitation, would effectively removing the trigger mechanic help it too much?

SangoProduction
2021-03-02, 05:09 AM
how do you think would boxing sphere feel power wise if the adventurous adventurer feat from 3.5 was permitted in a game?
It's a regional feat that lets you do your readied action whenever you want
considering the power of the sphere compared to its limitation, would effectively removing the trigger mechanic help it too much?

I can't find hide nor hair of said feat, but, it would remove one of the major weaknesses of the sphere: have a chance at not even having your attack trigger.
...Make that two of the major weaknesses. You could actually choose who you triggered it on as well. Hypothetically, if you read it that way - but I assume that's the intended interpretation.

So major weaknesses left? Taking your initiative, and declaring that you'll do something at a lower initiative. Getting very little out of your efforts and investment (outside of the 3rd party boxing talents, which are kinda cool).

...and that's it? Yeah. I guess so. But getting little out of your actions means you are implicitly not doing something that would get you more. With exception of Clinch, I guess. I'm not personally convinced that adding a single attack+2 worth of damage is worth adding an additional degree of failure to your grapple. But it really does depend on how hard you can pump that chance to hit and damage.

But at least you'd get to just attack out of turn (by reserving your turn's action), and they don't really get a chance to play around your readied action. So it would let you just stand sentinel for someone to approach, and when they do, you get to trigger the movement trigger. And if they avoid literally every possible trigger, then they probably abandoned the combat.

astrerouge
2021-03-02, 01:11 PM
Sorry it's adventurous explorer from dragon 315
the text is as follow: You are descended from an adventurous explorer. You are quick to take action and react quickly to changing conditions in combat.
Region: Shou Lung (Ch'ing Tung), Jungle Lands.
Benefit: When you ready an action in combat, you can choose to take that action at any time, not just when the condition you specify occurs. (In effect, this allows you to take a move action and then delay your remaining action.)

freduncio
2021-03-02, 02:49 PM
I already changed the ready action to something like that feat. You ready your action with the normal trigger, but if the trigger doesn't happen (or If you feel like) and your action is still valid, you can act. But you only interrupt if the trigger happens.
Sadly no one uses boxing in my table for me to study the interaction.

SangoProduction
2021-03-02, 03:58 PM
I already changed the ready action to something like that feat. You ready your action with the normal trigger, but if the trigger doesn't happen (or If you feel like) and your action is still valid, you can act. But you only interrupt if the trigger happens.
Sadly no one uses boxing in my table for me to study the interaction.

Not a bad house rule. I'd use it. The house rule. Not the boxing sphere.

Kitsuneymg
2021-03-02, 04:40 PM
I have a boxer in my game. Shoulder roll and a good ac gives some extra punches. The ability to make a monster come to you, but you still get the first hit off is pretty good, actually. And, if you get lucky with initiative, it ends up being your attack, their attack (shoulder roll), your attack again, your full attack. Which is usually deadly by that point.

It’s hardly amazing, but it does kinda work.

Also, why would you not get to add special attack actions options to a counter punch. It counts as an attack action, and special attack actions are attack actions that have the restriction that they can’t be used if you’re already using a special attack action. Is the issue that it only counts for talents and vital strike, and not for base rules?

> whenever a creature makes an attack action, they may choose to perform a special attack action they know, assuming they meet that special attack action’s requirements.

SangoProduction
2021-03-02, 05:39 PM
I have a boxer in my game. Shoulder roll and a good ac gives some extra punches. The ability to make a monster come to you, but you still get the first hit off is pretty good, actually. And, if you get lucky with initiative, it ends up being your attack, their attack (shoulder roll), your attack again, your full attack. Which is usually deadly by that point.

It’s hardly amazing, but it does kinda work.

Also, why would you not get to add special attack actions options to a counter punch. It counts as an attack action, and special attack actions are attack actions that have the restriction that they can’t be used if you’re already using a special attack action. Is the issue that it only counts for talents and vital strike, and not for base rules?

> whenever a creature makes an attack action, they may choose to perform a special attack action they know, assuming they meet that special attack action’s requirements.

Holy butter balls. Someone actually did it.

So that would mean that you aren't giving up the opportunity to do something actually useful. You are just spend a talent for +2 damage, and a delayed, possibly nonexistent attack action. And a counter talent.

So...do you have to make an attack in the attack action, or can you use an attack action that doesn't attack, like the duelist sphere's disarm? If you use Barrage, is that +2 damage to each of attack? That could be worth waiting for.

Kitsuneymg
2021-03-02, 07:10 PM

So that would mean that you aren't giving up the opportunity to do something actually useful. You are just spend a talent for +2 damage, and a delayed, possibly nonexistent attack action. And a counter talent.

So...do you have to make an attack in the attack action, or can you use an attack action that doesn't attack, like the duelist sphere's disarm? If you use Barrage, is that +2 damage to each of attack? That could be worth waiting for.

I don’t know about the disarm, but barrage would be +2 damage on the first shot. Ditto dual wielding (until you get that advanced talent at any rate.) I can’t remember where (and am not currently in a position to locate) I read this, but I distinctly remember reading a blanket “bonuses to attack actions only apply to the first attack” type rule.

I’ll see if I can read it a bit closer tonight or tomorrow and figure out all his talents and combos.

Mister Rex
2021-03-11, 04:46 PM

You can take an attack action or special attack action on a counterpunch, yes.
For Barrage, as you should know, only the first attack is an attack action. Only the first gets the damage. That's spheres 101.

SangoProduction
2021-03-11, 09:50 PM
You can take an attack action or special attack action on a counterpunch, yes.
For Barrage, as you should know, only the first attack is an attack action. Only the first gets the damage. That's spheres 101.

I actually don't know, which is why I asked. I can't seem to find the specific mention of it.

Attack Actions and Multiple Attacks
Some talents and options allow you to make additional attacks. In general, you may only apply things that can modify an attack action once when making that attack action unless the option itself specifically says otherwise. For example, when making a Barrage or using Dual Wielding, it's normally the case that only your first attack counts as an attack action for the purpose of modifying it with talents and feats, and all the other attacks are extras that you cannot apply attack action modifiers to. This includes things like any form of Split Shot, where your first attack can be split between multiple targets. You only apply the attack action modifiers once, period, unless an option explicitly states otherwise.

An example where this doesn't apply is the Triangle Slash legendary talent of the Dual Wielding sphere, where you can make three attack actions in one turn as long as you meet the prerequisites for using that talent.

Found it.

...That actually changes a lot of the interactions in SoM. Ooo. I've got to actually consider that.

Ady
2024-02-28, 09:35 PM
It just occurred to me, how do you use Launching Uppercut with Counter Punch on allies? None of the triggers can be triggered by an ally, and (counter) talents are used on a counter. Is there some rule I'm missing here?

SangoProduction
2024-02-28, 11:02 PM
It just occurred to me, how do you use Launching Uppercut with Counter Punch on allies? None of the triggers can be triggered by an ally, and (counter) talents are used on a counter. Is there some rule I'm missing here?

It's an explicit exception. You may use the talent on a willing ally.
This would function *like* a counter punch.

If you wish to be particularly... particular about the wording, and insist that it must be triggered exactly as a counterpunch would (since that's not explicit), there's nothing stopping your willing ally from being both an ally and hostile. It's called a rivalry.

Thealtruistorc
2024-02-29, 02:08 PM
Can I ask about some of the Boxing-specific feats covered under Practitioner Feats (Backup Breaker, Rolling Serpent, and Stinging Bee)? I think some mention of them would make sense here.

SangoProduction
2024-02-29, 05:02 PM
Can I ask about some of the Boxing-specific feats covered under Practitioner Feats (Backup Breaker, Rolling Serpent, and Stinging Bee)? I think some mention of them would make sense here.

Backup Breaker [2]: Most of the time, there's very little practical use in splitting up your attacks, let alone continuing to risk that you won't get your attack off.
This changes, under a couple circumstances: If you regularly fight plenty of mages who all like to cast while you are able to reach them (possibly with Guardian sphere's help), or when you have some on-hit effect, which does not stack with itself. Like if you blind for a turn on hitting someone. And since you get the benefit of the feat, when you don't make a second attack (and not that it prevents you from a second attack), you get to explicitly wait until your first attack lands or not to determine if you want to hold off on your second attack.

Rolling Serpent (1.5): Basically can read "removes the 1/round" limit on shoulder roll. Which can thus be read as: On being attacked, Trade an AoO for a small AC boost, and if the attack misses, take that AoO.
Even though it's 2 feat-equivalents to achieve, it's a substantial improvement. Like a parry system that somehow manages to not be excessively clumsy.

Stinging Bee (3): You keep the counter punch damage (who cares) while in Floating Butterfly stance. But you also add the dodge bonus to reflex saves. So it removes all penalties (if this was the only stance you intended on using), however minor they are, and by level 4, this is basically better Lightning Reflexes (and continues to scale, however slowly). Conditional on being in the stance.
Not something I'd ever go out of my way for. But it has clear, if minor, synergy with Rolling Serpent.

Ady
2024-03-05, 09:19 AM
It's an explicit exception. You may use the talent on a willing ally.
This would function *like* a counter punch.

If you wish to be particularly... particular about the wording, and insist that it must be triggered exactly as a counterpunch would (since that's not explicit), there's nothing stopping your willing ally from being both an ally and hostile. It's called a rivalry.

Oh I absolutely got that it was an exception, what I was wondering about was the exact process. Normally a counterpunch goes: ready an action with one or more of those triggers, they happen, you attack if you want to.

If I were GMing I'd say you can set whatever trigger for your readied attack, and it'd work, but that is probably because I'm pretty loose on flexibility when it comes to cool niche abilities. Speaking to others, most agree that it's uncomplicated and unproblematic to let all triggers work on any creature regardless of hostility.

Thanks for the response though, it's good to know I didn't miss anything special regarding it.

Geigan
2024-03-08, 12:37 PM
Shout out to the Spell Slugger Champion feat. I've been using it on a spellcasting focused prodigy to make readying counterpunch a reliable opener for sequence, and the capability to just use whatever standard action sphere effect instead when counterpunch is triggered is remarkably flexible.

Ramza00
2024-03-08, 02:04 PM
Shout out to the Spell Slugger Champion feat. I've been using it on a spellcasting focused prodigy to make readying counterpunch a reliable opener for sequence, and the capability to just use whatever standard action sphere effect instead when counterpunch is triggered is remarkably flexible.

so the Imbue Sequence finishers, that are magic spheres

are they counted as supernatural sphere effects, or magical sphere effects 🤔 I am asking can you use them with spell slugger champion feat?

i want to know if i can do a reactive mind control dance enslaving the enemies for one round every round, different enemies each time. (using the exploitant SoG / LotS prodigy archetype so you do not end your sequence if you use not your full amount of links)

Geigan
2024-03-08, 03:37 PM
so the Imbue Sequence finishers, that are magic spheres

are they counted as supernatural sphere effects, or magical sphere effects 🤔 I am asking can you use them with spell slugger champion feat?

i want to know if i can do a reactive mind control dance enslaving the enemies for one round every round, different enemies each time. (using the exploitant SoG / LotS prodigy archetype so you do not end your sequence if you use not your full amount of links)

Imbue Sequence is labeled as Su, but has this line, "Beginning an imbuement or activating a finisher are sphere effects, though neither provokes attacks of opportunity." so I believe they do count as sphere effects in and of themselves. I suppose they would be eligible, assuming you have the necessary sequence to activate them and they can be done as a standard action.

So for that theoretical combo, you'd presumably use the Ready for Action Opener to start sequence as a standard action, then need to do some amount of Components to get your sequence length up with your other actions, and then be able to trigger your finisher with Spell Slugger according to your counterpunch trigger. Seems doable, though keep in mind that they do get a will save for this, and the round limit is pretty low based on sequence length. That is some pretty decent savings on Spell Points though, since normally a Powerful Charm would cost 2 spell points a pop.

Edit: Right, you were mentioning Exploitant specifically. I think that should still be valid for them as well, with the caveat that they don't technically need Spell Slugger to spam that finisher, so Spell Slugger is just giving you the reactive bit in this case.

Ramza00
2024-03-08, 04:17 PM
Imbue Sequence is labeled as Su, but has this line, "Beginning an imbuement or activating a finisher are sphere effects, though neither provokes attacks of opportunity." so I believe they do count as sphere effects in and of themselves. I suppose they would be eligible, assuming you have the necessary sequence to activate them and they can be done as a standard action.

So for that theoretical combo, you'd presumably use the Ready for Action Opener to start sequence as a standard action, then need to do some amount of Components to get your sequence length up with your other actions, and then be able to trigger your finisher with Spell Slugger according to your counterpunch trigger. Seems doable, though keep in mind that they do get a will save for this, and the round limit is pretty low based on sequence length. That is some pretty decent savings on Spell Points though, since normally a Powerful Charm would cost 2 spell points a pop.

Edit: Right, you were mentioning Exploitant specifically. I think that should still be valid for them as well, with the caveat that they don't technically need Spell Slugger to spam that finisher, so Spell Slugger is just giving you the reactive bit in this case.

yet you got it and see my weaknesses / hazards / rules interpretations with this build , it would require DM interpretation or perhaps the opposite if the DM does this on a player

probably what starts the exploitant prodigy is the LotS revealing a [plan] can be a start of a sequence, and there is 2 or 3 SoG [plan] s that are an immediate action reveal. Throw in barroom utility to allow you to do a drop to prone as a free action for 1 link, and then you just need 1 move action link one can spam, for the necessary 2 links per round.

And then take the mind action utility start with a cognition talent (such as mental archive or parallel cognition) which still unlocks the mind control finisher

and then just dance the night away using spell slugger finisher

wait did I just create profane fortnite dances with parallel cognition, this response may need to die in a fire

Geigan
2024-03-08, 04:40 PM
yet you got it and see my weaknesses / hazards / rules interpretations with this build , it would require DM interpretation or perhaps the opposite if the DM does this on a player

probably what starts the exploitant prodigy is the LotS revealing a [plan] can be a start of a sequence, and there is 2 or 3 SoG [plan] s that are an immediate action reveal. Throw in barroom utility to allow you to do a drop to prone as a free action for 1 link, and then you just need 1 move action link one can spam, for the necessary 2 links per round.

And then take the mind action utility start with a cognition talent (such as mental archive or parallel cognition) which still unlocks the mind control finisher

and then just dance the night away using spell slugger finisher

wait did I just create profane fortnite dances with parallel cognition, this response may need to die in a fire
I mean it seems like it takes about as much DM interpretation as any Prodigy sequence combo does. It's a class feature that tends to make one's eyes glaze over on first reading and unless a DM/player is particularly familiar or savvy I wouldn't expect them to fully grok everything that the class is capable of on first read through.

Spamming finishers by cycling sequence seems like a pretty typical strategy for a lot of Prodigy builds, and often becomes the whole point sometimes (even though I personally think Adaptation is the way more busted class feature). I don't even think most of them are even that strong, considering that a specialized spheres build can usually spam out this sort of effect just as easily and more effectively, though that's not to discount the strength you get out of being able to spam it with no spell point cost.

Anyways, keep in mind that Boxing Sphere's Ready for Action Opener is still available to Exploitant, so you can just open with that to start sequence, and an opener used after a sequence has started can be used as a link component instead. So if you're going to invest the feat into Spell Slugger, I'd at least take advantage of its contribution to sequence in there anyways.