PDA

View Full Version : A level question

cullynthedwarf
2021-03-01, 08:23 PM
So I am finally getting to play instead of run. Maybe this is just me over thinking a bit (lot). But I am playing a storm priest, and trying to figure where the divide should be between the classes I want. The classes are Storm sorcerer/Tempest cleric

If I go 18/2 I would get the storm sorc capstone but loose some fun stuff in cleric also I personally don't think the cap is that great so this one is out, but I do get 9th level spells

If I go 16/4 I get 1 more ASI this way and 8th level spells.

If I go 15/5 I 8th level spells and 3 level cleric

If I go 14/6 I only have up to 7th level spells but get thunder rebuke and channel divinity 2/rest

Next level I will need to make some kind of decision and I thought maybe y'all might have a thought or angle I had not considered yet.

Thank you

Greywander
2021-03-01, 08:45 PM
These are always difficult decisions. Even when you've figured out your final build, it's still a hard choice deciding when to get something, e.g. when to multiclass, which feat to grab first, etc.

Do you know how long the campaign will last? I understand it's rare for one to go all the way to 20. If it's going to end earlier, then you might want to take that into consideration and not worry about level 20.

If you do get to 20, I have a houserule that I like that would make questions like this a moot point. Basically, you can spend epic boons to gain class levels, giving you the features of that class, but your character level stays locked at 20. You can trade one of your existing hit dice if the new one would be bigger, but you can't have more than 20 hit dice. If trading hit dice, you would also gain 1 HP per step increase, giving you the same average HP regardless of the order you take your class levels. For example, if you go wizard 20 so you have all d6s, then take a level in fighter as an epic boon, you could swap one of your d6 hit dice with a d10, and you'd gain +2 HP for trading up to a larger die. If you eventually maxed out every class, you'd have the same average HP and hit dice as a 20th level barbarian.

The reason I like this houserule is that it lets you worry about now instead of worrying about level 20. If/when you reach 20, you can use epic boons to pick up any other class levels you really wanted but didn't get earlier. But as you play, you can multiclass if it makes sense to do so without worrying about how it will affect your final build.

So you might talk to your DM and see how long they expect the campaign to be. If they think it will reach 20, then ask them if they'd consider using this houserule.

cullynthedwarf
2021-03-01, 08:55 PM
That's an interesting rule. And it's more I have already taken 3 levels of Storm and am about to move into Cleric. I'm trying to see how long to stay, rather then bouncing back and forth every other level or so.

borg286
2021-03-03, 01:20 PM
It depends on what level you are starting at and what level you expect to get to. If you start at level 1 favor the 2 level dip. If you start later on then compare the nova you'd get with the extra feat and 2nd level spells from cleric compared to the extra 2 levels you'd get from sorcerer on the 2 level dip.
If you're starting around level 10 ask yourself if those 3rd level cleric spells really help you out.
Realize that you can spread out the cleric levels later when your sorcerer levels start being meh. Personally I've found that only when I get access to 6th level spells that a 3rd level of another class starts to be more appealing than a single cool spell.