PDA

View Full Version : how do you think 5e will handle new subraces, will their be no more subraces?

Amdy_vill
2021-03-02, 11:00 PM
just like the title says, I was inspired to make this post as I love the Genesi and they have many subraces not in 5e yet and want to see them in the future. but have no clue if or what we might see,

Genesi is just an example i want to know people's thoughts on if we will see more subraces or if they're gone. and if we did how do you think they would handle post tashas subraces.

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-02, 11:11 PM
Yeah, swamp dwarfs are under represented. :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-02, 11:19 PM
There have been quite a few new subraces of PHB races, mostly elves and tieflings. The problem with more genasi subraces is that genasi are an elemental race, D&D only has four elements, and there's already a genasi subrace for each of those. We could maybe get new para-element genasi variants for ice (air+water), magma (earth+fire), ooze/mud (earth+water), smoke (air+fire), steam (water+fire), and dust (air+earth), but don't hold your breath. They would need to all be introduced at once, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to add six new subraces to one race unless it's extremely on-theme for the book they're in. I'd only see it happening in a 5e version of Manual of the Planes or similar.

Tanarii
2021-03-02, 11:20 PM
Yeah, swamp dwarfs are under represented. :smallbiggrin:
I want gully dwarves. And even Kender. Pauses for shocked & horrified gasps.

OTOH we probably don't need another edition with a bajillion elf sub races yet again.

Luccan
2021-03-03, 12:01 AM
I feel like new Genasi are unlikely, whether or not subraces are planned for the future. As far as I know, Genasi haven't shown up outside the EE Player's Companion, which was just a PDF. Since 5e doesn't like to assume you have a particular book outside core, unless they get a full reprinting at some point I doubt we'll see any more than the four prime elements.

JonBeowulf
2021-03-03, 12:09 AM
How about subraces for the playable monster races? I might begin to like them if they were more than "I'm a <whatever>... but not like in the MM." Give them some options to make them feel like more than a one-off, crowd-pleasing gesture.