PDA

View Full Version : Ship Speed: 3.P

Ruethgar
2021-03-03, 12:29 PM
So I made a character a while ago and I have a note saying that his ship can go up to x4 its normal speed with magic, I just failed to say how. I'm 95% sure there was a spell or effects that doubled speed on water because I had the hull plated in blue ice to technically be 'on water' despite flying for the effects of a spell that doubled speed over, on, or through water, but can't for the life of me find it. It could be a PF or 3.5 spell. Anyone know what it could have been? All I'm finding are mere +30 or +10ft speeds.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-03-03, 01:28 PM
Hmm. Kingdoms of Kalamar: Salt & Sea Dogs (or something like that) has a hull upgrade that doubles your speed, as well as some other lovely ship customization options. There's also the Lightning Turbine from the A&EG, which doubles your speed in a storm (great paired with a Stormship for obvious reasons). The Legendary Captain prestige class gives you a 20% boost to speed, IIRC, but that's probably not it.

For spells, it's possible you were just increasing the wind speed around your ship, but if you went out of your way to make the ship "in water" I think it's more likely that it was control water, which has some special interactions with ships detailed in Stormwrack. (I only remember that it can stop a ship dead with no save, but it's entirely possible there's also an option for speeding a ship up). Or maybe there's a specific spell for that in Stormwrack; I'll check after work if it hasn't been answered yet.

Ruethgar
2021-03-03, 10:24 PM
Found one, Spheres of Power Fallen Fey Water Creature, but I have no way to get it so not sure that was it, but maybe?

RNightstalker
2021-03-03, 11:44 PM
Have a resetting Gust of Wind trap behind the sails...

Ruethgar
2021-03-04, 10:58 AM
Wind’s Favor is cheaper, but good point.

Maat Mons
2021-03-04, 04:12 PM
Soarwood (ECS127) doubles the speed of any ship made out of it. ... Except, I think, Eberron airships. Those are made out of soarwood as a requirement, so I think that would already be factored into the statistics.

An elf wingship has a base sailing speed of 4 mph (SW97). And strong, heavy, or severe winds let a sailing ship move 3x base speed (SW23). And since speed and distance are real-world values, real world math applies. So an elf wingship made of soarwood could get up to 24 mph, as long as there were winds of at least the strong category

Everfull Sails (SW131) can get you strong winds whenever you want them. But they cost 12,000 gp each, and an elf wingship needs 2. But hey, an elf wingship made of soarwood already costs 160,000 gp, so 24,000 gp more is pocket change at that point.

Fastest ship I've been able to come up with. Seems a tad silly to spend that much on a ship that can't even fly though.

Ruethgar
2021-03-04, 10:08 PM
Danke, Soarwood is awesome. Love a straight multiplier.

RNightstalker
2021-03-04, 11:41 PM
Wind’s Favor is cheaper, but good point.

Good pull, I'll need that for a ship I'm building for a buddy.

Maat Mons
2021-03-05, 12:05 PM
Can you move the area of Wind's Favor during the duration of the spell?

RNightstalker
2021-03-05, 01:05 PM
Can you move the area of Wind's Favor during the duration of the spell?

I imagine it would move with you, but I didn't see that mentioned in the spell description. With the duration, that would definitely be RAI at least.