PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing?

Serpentine
2007-11-09, 02:00 AM
I've got this bit of art I did/do when I was/am bored, say, in a class. I feel like there should be a name for it. So, am I completely original and fantastic, or is this infact and old an unfashionable technique that has a very dull name?

An example:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/waves.jpg

Ichneumon
2007-11-09, 02:02 AM
May I call it a Serpentinian shape?

Serpentine
2007-11-09, 02:09 AM
Heh, that'd actually be a pretty neat basis for one really... According to the photobucket title, I called it "circle art". I'm creative :smallbiggrin:

hyperfreak497
2007-11-09, 05:41 AM

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like a doily.

Serpentine
2007-11-09, 05:48 AM
Don't worry, that's occured to me too.

Doilies can be pretty too :smallfrown:

Lyinginbedmon
2007-11-09, 05:56 AM
I'm British, it looks pretty :smallsmile:

It also seems unbelievably intricate for most virtual art programs, but then my artistic talent extends largely to stick figures and a map here and there in InkScape

Serpentine
2007-11-09, 06:14 AM
...visual art programs? :smallconfused: That's by hand, with gel pen, on black card. You can even see the ink smudges...

Mad Mask
2007-11-09, 06:25 AM
I think it's a mandala, an old african or asian thing. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-11-09, 06:34 AM
...visual art programs? :smallconfused: That's by hand, with gel pen, on black card. You can even see the ink smudges...

Which might explain why it seems so unbelievable :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-11-09, 06:36 AM
I had a look at those mandala things (Indian, by the way, I think). It does look kinda similar... I guess I can live with that.

Mythos
2007-11-09, 07:36 AM
I would call it a mandala, though usually they tell a story or represent ideas or concepts. Very pretty, by the way. I did a mandala for a school project, then sold it for a week worth of groceries.

banjo1985
2007-11-09, 07:40 AM

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like a doily.

It's a damn fine looking doily though :smallbiggrin:

It looks like a mandala to me too, and it shows some extreme skill and patience to get it looking that detailed and symmetrical. It would have made my brain melt and come streaming out my ears :smalleek:

Serpentine
2007-11-09, 07:55 AM
I would call it a mandala, though usually they tell a story or represent ideas or concepts. Very pretty, by the way. I did a mandala for a school project, then sold it for a week worth of groceries.Really? Huh. That one I posted was on a card... I was thinking of maybe selling them at the markets. I wonder how much I could get for it...
And I don't think I'd have too much trouble making some follow a theme or story... could be interesting, actually.

Mythos
2007-11-09, 10:19 AM
Depending on size and detail, a beginning artist could fetch up to a hundred dollars, easily. Or you could make prints for significant less, say 10 bucks. If you made card size prints, though, I wouldn't push for more than a couple dollars each.

Serpentine
2007-11-10, 09:22 PM
May I call it a Serpentinian shape?

Heh, that'd actually be a pretty neat basis for one really...See? I told you! ...kinda. Serpent circles:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/serpentinecircle.jpg

This is about 2/3 actual size.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-14, 12:30 AM
Its a Mandala, indeed.
I tried it once, but my patience is to short for it, yours looks very good!
Though about where they come from, they originally came from The Netherlands, but when we colonized India, it became ´the thing´ to do there for women, and it is known for its Mandalas.