PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How does one restore permanent ability penalty?

Melcar
2021-03-04, 09:57 AM
I wanted to get the bonus feat from doing the Rite of the Blot (DR#330, page 27), however that leaves one with a permanent -1 penalty to Con. How would one go about revoming said penalty?

I was thinking Restoration, Greater, but I'm unsure of the wording specifically. Then there might be Miracle or Wish?

So, what can I do to remove said penalty?

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-04, 10:36 AM
I wanted to get the bonus feat from doing the Rite of the Blot (DR#330, page 27), however that leaves one with a permanent -1 penalty to Con. How would one go about revoming said penalty?

I was thinking Restoration, Greater, but I'm unsure of the wording specifically. Then there might be Miracle or Wish?

The -1 Con is part of the feat itself. So, unless you wanna get rid of your feat, you keep the penalty. If for some reason you should loose access to the feat, you would then regain your CON point. As long as you have the feat and it is active, you pay the CON tax. Even if you would use something that breaks/cures permanent ability damage, it would be reapplied by the feat in the very next moment.

Jack_Simth
2021-03-04, 10:37 AM

It's a permanent penalty that's part of the feat. You can offset it in some ways (e.g., Wish for +1 inherent to Con), you can make it meaningless (e.g., lose your Con score via going undead), but the only certain method for getting rid of it properly is to get rid of the feat that causes it (e.g., the dark chaos shuffle). A lenient DM might allow other methods to remove the issue (it's caused by sleep disturbed by dreams; things that make you not need sleep, need less sleep, have pleasant/no dreams, etcetera could potentially solve it), and a cooperative DM could arrange for a suitable quest/item/event/etcetera that solves it.

Asmotherion
2021-03-04, 10:39 AM
Unless mentioned otherwise in the source of the penalty, Lesser Restoration should do the trick. If it's Ability Drain, you need Resotoration.

Some especially powerful monsters and abilities mention that nothing short of a Wish/Miracle does the trick.

Other effects do not allow the penalty to go away even with a Wish Or Mirracle, as they are directly connected to the Effect; Some Variant rules like Taint cause a penalty that cannot be mitigated by any other means except from loosing the source of the effect (Taint). This is also the case for your Feat.

Tl;Dr: Check the effect that gave you a penalty. Unless mentioned otherwise, a Lesser Restoration should do the Trick; For Ability Drain you need Restoration though. Your Feat (and feats that come with a penalty) are a special kind of source, and you can't heal the penalty without removing the feat. You can however bypass it with some Temporary Buff Spells, or by raising your ability score to offset the penalty.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-03-04, 10:52 AM
The -1 Con is due to sleeplessness. So if you don't need to sleep and/or are immune to fatigue...

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-04, 11:27 AM
Unless mentioned otherwise in the source of the penalty, Lesser Restoration should do the trick. If it's Ability Drain, you need Resotoration.

Some especially powerful monsters and abilities mention that nothing short of a Wish/Miracle does the trick.

Other effects do not allow the penalty to go away even with a Wish Or Mirracle, as they are directly connected to the Effect; Some Variant rules like Taint cause a penalty that cannot be mitigated by any other means except from loosing the source of the effect (Taint). This is also the case for your Feat.

Tl;Dr: Check the effect that gave you a penalty. Unless mentioned otherwise, a Lesser Restoration should do the Trick; For Ability Drain you need Restoration though. Your Feat (and feats that come with a penalty) are a special kind of source, and you can't heal the penalty without removing the feat. You can however bypass it with some Temporary Buff Spells, or by raising your ability score to offset the penalty.
The penalty is sadly part of the feat and thus would get reapplied as long as the feat is functioning.

The -1 Con is due to sleeplessness. So if you don't need to sleep and/or are immune to fatigue...
Good catch. Another reason why warforged casters are OP^^

Melcar
2021-03-05, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the responces... That cleared that up for me!