PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Inheritor: Sorcerer Archetype

Garfunion
2021-03-04, 10:50 AM
I’m still refining this archetype but I figured I’d put what I have out so far. It was actually inspired by the recent arcane archer sorcerer archetype thread.

Inheritor
Legends tell of a weapon used by one of the worlds greatest heroes (or villains). This weapon may have been passed down through the generations of the hero’s/villain’s lineage or could have been lost by time. For whatever reason you (a person containing the bloodline of the hero/villain) came in possession of this weapon and from that moment, both the weapon and the power that laid dormant inside you, awoken.

Inheritance weapon
At 1st level you gain a weapon from one of the following options. You become proficient in using this weapon and you may treat it as an arcane focus for your sorcerer spells.

—Spellsword
Choose a melee weapon from the weapons table to become your inheritance weapon. While wielding this weapon, when you cast a sorcerer spell that requires you to make a melee spell attack you may use your strength modifier instead of your charisma modifier to determine the spell attack roll.

—Spellbow
Choose a ranged weapon from the weapons table that lacks the heavy property and uses ammunition, to become your inheritance weapon. While wielding this weapon, when you cast a sorcerer spell that requires you to make a range spell attack you may use your dexterity modifier instead of your charisma modifier to determine the spell attack roll.

If If you lose or break your inheritance weapon, you can perform a 1-*‐‑hour ritual to have your inheritance weapon restored to you. This ritual can be performed during a short or long rest. Your inheritance weapon becomes rusted/rotten (unusable) when you die.

Destined for Greatness
Also at 1st level your weapon has a desire to protect you, you learn the shield spell and may spend one sorcery point to cast it. Your weapon will also keep an “eye” out for danger, while your weapon is within 5ft of you, you cannot be surprised.

Inheritor’s Spells
You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Inheritor’s Spells table. Each spell counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn’t count against the number of sorcerer spells you know. These spells can’t be replaced when you gain a level in this class.
Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be an evocation or a transmutation spell from the paladin, ranger, or sorcerer spell list.

Sorcerer Spell
Lvl

1st. shield, zephyr strike
3rd. branding smite
5th. lightning arrow
7th. staggering smite
9th. banishing smite

Inheritor’s Bane
At 6th level, you may use a bonus action to make one weapon attack with your inheritance weapon. If you hit your target, it has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a sorcerer spell you cast on it.

Enchanted Weapon
Also at 6th level your inheritance weapon becomes magical, with a magical bonus equal to half your proficiency bonus (round down). This bonus applies to your inheritance weapon attacks, spell attacks, and spell save DC.

Legendary Knowledge
14th level, you may cast the Legend Lore spell once per long rest without spending the material component cost.

JNAProductions
2021-03-04, 10:27 PM
The ability to plop disadvantage on a save without any resource expenditure is really powerful.

Overall, though? This subclass is boring. Really, really boring.

You get...

-A Weapon (that's eventually the most boring type of magical)
-The Shield spell
-A Bonus Action Attack (which has no other restrictions-that's pretty damn powerful)
-Once per long rest Legend Lore

It's just not exciting. It might not be OP-though given some of the numerical boosts, it quite possibly is. But it's dull.

Garfunion
2021-03-05, 01:28 AM
The ability to plop disadvantage on a save without any resource expenditure is really powerful.

Well mind sliver cantrip provides a similar(but weaker) effect. So I guess I could switch it to a dice roll deduction.

Overall, though? This subclass is boring. Really, really boring.

You get...

-A Weapon (that's eventually the most boring type of magical)
-The Shield spell
-A Bonus Action Attack (which has no other restrictions-that's pretty damn powerful)
-Once per long rest Legend Lore

Don’t forget the other bonus spells

It's just not exciting. It might not be OP-though given some of the numerical boosts, it quite possibly is. But it's dull.

Well this is still a brainstorming archetype. I’m just trying to make a more weapon oriented archetype for the sorcerer that fits a bloodline.

Amechra
2021-03-05, 11:46 PM
One fun possibility would be to focus on Spellsword a bit more, and let you replace a spell attack with a melee weapon attack as long as you are wielding your Inheritance. Toss on the ability to add your weapon's normal damage roll if you spend a sorcery point, and you have a pretty distinctive "melee sorcerer" archetype.

Garfunion
2021-03-06, 06:37 AM
One fun possibility would be to focus on Spellsword a bit more, and let you replace a spell attack with a melee weapon attack as long as you are wielding your Inheritance. Toss on the ability to add your weapon's normal damage roll if you spend a sorcery point, and you have a pretty distinctive "melee sorcerer" archetype.
I’m afraid that making it a weapon attack would create some OP multiclass features and spell combos.

Amechra
2021-03-06, 10:57 AM
I’m afraid that making it a weapon attack would create some OP multiclass features and spell combos.

In these kinds of situations, I think its helpful to sit down and make a list of what combos in particular you think would be broken, then try to design around those.

It's also not like you have to make it the 1st level feature or anything - I think it'd be pretty safe as a 6th level feature.

Garfunion
2021-03-06, 12:19 PM
In these kinds of situations, I think its helpful to sit down and make a list of what combos in particular you think would be broken, then try to design around those.

It's also not like you have to make it the 1st level feature or anything - I think it'd be pretty safe as a 6th level feature.
I’ve already made the design decision to help prevent such combos from happening by allowing the sorcerer to use their strength or dexterity modifier when calculating spell attacks.
As for weapon damage, that is where the 6th level feature comes in. Though I may tie it to casting a spell plus bonus action.