PDA

View Full Version : WIZ save improvements

da newt
2021-03-04, 04:51 PM
What are good ways to improve a PC's WIZ saves especially against charm/frighten other than RES WIZ? My HP, AC DEX and CON saves are good, but he's susceptible to mind control etc.

I'm hoping for a magic item, or something - a 'ring of Calm Emotions' would be perfect. What's out there?

Kane0
2021-03-04, 05:23 PM
Other than being something like an elf/gnome or War Wizard? Stand close to a paladin or Bard, get lucky with a magic item roll, pick up a feat.

But you're a wizard so your answer to this problem is most likely to include magic. Resistance, Bless, Protection from Good/Evil, Calm Emotions, Counterspell, Silence, Contingency, Mind Blank plus any number of spells you can use to stop the offender from using their powers in the first place are all options.

Edit: Oh if you have downtime you might be able to scribe some scrolls or brew some potions depending on your DM.

diplomancer
2021-03-04, 05:23 PM
Stay close to a devotion Paladin; at a pinch, a Bard will do. Have Fey Ancestry or be a Halfling.

kaervaak
2021-03-04, 05:24 PM
Cloak and Ring of protection give +1 to all saves

Luck Stone also gives +1 to saves

Mantle of Spell Resistance gives advantage on saving throws against magic

Scarab of Protection also gives advantage on saves against magic

Spellguard shield gives advantage on saves against spells

whateew
2021-03-04, 05:34 PM
Playing a loxodon is a nice one specifically for fear and charm

Tanarii
2021-03-04, 06:18 PM
Wizards already get proficiency in Wisdom saves.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-04, 11:22 PM
It seems you're sayin "WIZ" instead of "Wis" and half the thread thinks you're talking about playing a WIZard.

Satyr and Yuan-Ti Pureblood get advantage on saves against spells and magic effects.

Gnome has advantage on Int, Wis, Cha saves against magic.

Elf, Half-Elf, Loxodon, Githzerai, and maybe a few others get advantage on saves against certain types of effects that are typically Wis saves.

da newt
2021-03-05, 01:32 PM
Sorry for the miscommunication, I meant Wisdom Saves for my goblin EK Fighter. Our party lacks a Paladin, but we do have a Cleric, 2 Wizards and a Sorcerer. Our campaign levels slowly (weekly game, 1 yr in and we just hit level 8), and our cleric is not interested in prepping calm emotions.