PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Planes and Spells.

KyleG
2021-03-04, 08:48 PM
Ok so I'm creating a homebrew world with 9 planes. Material, earth, air, fire, water, light and shadow, and two others which are the two this relates to most. These are grayscale planes, one exists between moments. While here time doesn't pass on the "outside". It overlaps the material and is the space one traverses, literally, when teleporting. The second exists between places, between here and there. Time passes "outside" but the only space that exists is 60 visible ft? And you 'pacman' it from one side to the other. This is the equivalent of ethereal.

With that said we have covered the teleport spells (time), and spells such as etherealness and blink (space). Rope trick likely links to space plane. What other spells will I likely have to ensure fits before I lock in these mechanics?

I want a population of people to have been stuck in the space zone for 1000 years as part of the lore.

Im also after danger ideas, things to complicate these two planes. Love to hear your thoughts. Is there anything that is stopping me having these creatures on the ethereal be able to engage in combat/just interact with others who use this space? Any creatures from Lore already here?

ByzantiumBhuka
2021-03-04, 11:08 PM
First of all, I really like your idea here. The Time plane in particular could serve to actually make Teleport an interesting journey (possibly with random encounters along the way).

How would demiplanes fit into your conception? A lot of spells (including Rope Trick) have that as part of their description; you could probably classify all those under space through a bit of refluffing. And I presume Forcecage spans both Space and Time?

As for monsters, there are some fun creatures that already inhabit the ethereal plane. Phase spiders and ethereal marauders/filchers (see 3.5 for statblocks) are particularly fun, and could be adapted pretty easily.

The time plane is a lot more interesting. Maybe there could be "vortices" in the fabric of the plane, making teleportation a very dangerous activity in certain areas. You might also have creatures in tune with both the Material and Time planes, much like phase spiders (think Misty Step at-will). It might make for a fun encounter. Creatures inhabiting the Time Plane would also be interesting/terrifying aberrations. I would take inspiration from some Astral monsters.

KyleG
2021-03-05, 03:47 AM
How would demiplanes fit into your conception? A lot of spells (including Rope Trick) have that as part of their description; you could probably classify all those under space through a bit of refluffing. And I presume Forcecage spans both Space and Time?

Demiplanes i hadnt thought of. Rope Trick i considered and i think along with the like of the magnificent mansion too could be considered part of the 'space' plane. Rearranging the space to our liking.

As for monsters, there are some fun creatures that already inhabit the ethereal plane. Phase spiders and ethereal marauders/filchers (see 3.5 for statblocks) are particularly fun, and could be adapted pretty easily.

Yep knew of Phase Spiders and felt they werent going to be affected by my change (operate in the 'time' side of things. Im thinking that Marauders (thank you for directing me to them) are kinda drawn to the "space" plane, each little dimensional demiplane and can then can pop out into the real world much like the phase spider and feast on those who create the demiplanes...drawn to mages perhaps.

Any other spells you can think of that may be impacted?

Naanomi
2021-03-06, 05:37 AM
The 2e book 'Chronomancer' explores a time dimension pretty well, if you need inspiration or monsters

Theodoxus
2021-03-06, 07:11 AM
Kobold Press, if you're interested in 3rd Party books, has an entire series they called "Deep Magic", of which they have a book on Time. New spells, new domain and arcane tradition. Even if you're not willing to use the book(s) wholesale, they have thought through the ramifications of adding this kind of change to your campaign - I recommend at least a perusal to get some ideas.

Their Midgard setting is really well fleshed out - more than any official WotC setting for 5E - I've 'stolen' quite a few disparate ideas for my own homebrew.