PDA

View Full Version : Does metamagic operating at the original level cut both ways?

Harrow
2021-03-05, 02:28 PM
From the SRD, "In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell." As far as I can tell, this is intended to in some way nerf spellcasting. Metamagic'd spells don't get a higher save DC, they don't pierce a Globe of Invulnerability, that kind of thing.

What I want to know is, are there any ways to use this to a player's advantage? The first thing I thought of was magic items that base their price off of spell level X caster level. An Extended Shield of Faith or whatever would have to have a higher caster level, but the spell level should be the original. All the item creation rules say on the topic of metamagic is that "Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal." which is kind of vague. I'm pretty sure there are examples of items with metamagic on them that are costed based on the spell slot used, not the level of the spell. I may have just missed a rule somewhere, and I feel like I would have a hard time arguing in favor of this exploit with any real DM, but I felt it bears mentioning.

The next thing were Pearls of Power. They recover a spell that has been cast, and "The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl." An Empowered Maximized Scorching Ray is still only a spell of 2nd level, even though it requires a much higher slot. Wouldn't a Pearl of Power 2 be enough to recover it?

Speaking on spell recovery, you have the Primal Scholar prestige class from Secrets of Xen'drik which can spend an action point to recover spells, the total level of which cannot exceed your class level. Again, wouldn't low level spells dripping with metamagic still count as low level for this recovery? The class only mentions recovering spell slots if you are a spontaneous caster, otherwise it is the spells you cast.

Did I get something wrong on one of these? Are there any other areas where you could benefit from spells with metamagic not counting as the spell level of the slot you have to use for them?

icefractal
2021-03-05, 02:48 PM
Spell Storing (the weapon enhancement) is a big one. Get a bunch of +1 Spell Storing daggers, put a big Mailman-style blast in each one, then throw them all at once with Telekinesis.

Spell Storing arrows are even crazier ... too much so for most campaigns. But at high levels, even paying the full 8K is worthwhile.

gijoemike
2021-03-05, 03:15 PM
I thought only artificers could do metamagiced items? Assuming not though

The base level of the spells effect, the effective level of the effect, and the actual level of the affect are 3 different things. Your initial assumption is correct. The final level of the spell slot used is what the price is based off of. Basing it off of anything else is just silly. Using the example of a wand of heightened(1) empowered Burning Hands. I need a low level spell with a save.

base spell level = 1 <== not used in the calculation at all
effective level = 2 <== due to heighten being in the list
actual level = 4. <== cost of item is calculated from this

Save DC = 10 + 2(spell level) + 2 ( min caster stat to cast due to actual level of 4) = 14
Damage = 20 fire in 15" aoe cone.

hamishspence
2021-03-05, 03:59 PM
I thought only artificers could do metamagiced items?

Some magic items are specifically metamagiced:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/staffs.htm#fieryPower

Intensify Spell, Extend Spell, and Heighten Spell are all used here.

Presumably others exist that aren't epic.

The Staff of Power, a non-epic item, also uses Heighten Spell:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm#power

Darg
2021-03-05, 04:26 PM
Magic Items and Metamagic Spells: With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.

Before a metamagic spell is cast it is considered a higher level spell according to the slot cost. This also applies to the minimum caster level. As such, an empowered fireball can't be made into a wand of empowered fireball as it's level is 5th until cast. A wand of empowered magic missiles is a 3rd level spell at minimum 5th caster level level for creation.

I don't believe pearls of power would work for metamagicked spells at the original level based on the wording in the PHB:

In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell.

A spellcaster can apply multiple metamagic feats to a single spell. Changes to its level are cumulative. A silent, stilled version of charm person, for example, would be prepared and cast as a 3rd-level spell (a 1st-level spell, increased by one spell level for each of the metamagic feats).

Harrow
2021-03-05, 04:30 PM
Spell Storing (the weapon enhancement) is a big one. Get a bunch of +1 Spell Storing daggers, put a big Mailman-style blast in each one, then throw them all at once with Telekinesis.

Spell Storing arrows are even crazier ... too much so for most campaigns. But at high levels, even paying the full 8K is worthwhile.

Hey, that's a good idea. I suppose you could similarly use metamagic to get around the 2nd level maximum on Glyph Seals.

Jack_Simth
2021-03-05, 04:37 PM
Where you really kill it is spell duplication. A twinned, extended, repeat spell Summon Monster VIII is still an 8th level spell, and so Shades can duplicate it's effects.

Darg
2021-03-05, 05:49 PM
Where you really kill it is spell duplication. A twinned, extended, repeat spell Summon Monster VIII is still an 8th level spell, and so Shades can duplicate it's effects.

It doesn't work like that. The metamagicked spell is not the spell. It's a feat modifying a spell. It doesnt say you mimic the effect of feats on a spell. Just like you can't mimic class features either. Metamagic can be applied to shades though.