PDA

View Full Version : Shape Water question

Ogun
2021-03-05, 09:43 PM
Can you shape and freeze water on the same turn?

JoeJ
2021-03-05, 09:50 PM

You can only produce one effect each time you cast the spell.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-03-05, 10:36 PM

For the spell itself no. However, as the spell requires an action it is possible with something else requiring a bonus action with a freeze effect. Of the top of my head I can't think of anything that does this currently in the published sources however.

JoeJ
2021-03-06, 03:26 AM
For the spell itself no. However, as the spell requires an action it is possible with something else requiring a bonus action with a freeze effect. Of the top of my head I can't think of anything that does this currently in the published sources however.

Or, if you're a level 2+ fighter, you could cast Shape Water with your action, and then cast it again with your action surge. That's the only way I can think of to cast it twice on the same turn.

Segev
2021-03-06, 11:06 AM
Or, if you're a level 2+ fighter, you could cast Shape Water with your action, and then cast it again with your action surge. That's the only way I can think of to cast it twice on the same turn.
A sorcerer with Quicken Spell could do it for a Sorcery Point.

JoeJ
2021-03-06, 11:28 AM
A sorcerer with Quicken Spell could do it for a Sorcery Point.

Okay, another obvious one. That's what I get for posting just before I go to bed.

Segev
2021-03-06, 06:20 PM
Okay, another obvious one. That's what I get for posting just before I go to bed.

That's what you get for not being a coffeelock! :smallamused:

Ogun
2021-03-07, 04:12 AM
Thanks everyone!
I was rather certain, but the possibility of making cover with an an action was tantalizing.
Maybe I'll skip it entirely.

Quoz
2021-03-07, 11:00 AM
I think the water keeps its shape, so would still provide cover. Water may not be solid, but it will still block a lot of attacks. Even a few inches of water can stop bullets.

If you are looking for cover on the fly, mold earth may be the better option. Can dig a foxhole for your mage while putting a wall next to it for your archer.

Ogun
2021-03-07, 11:53 AM
In this campaign there will be more water available than loose earth.
Shape Water is also flexible, allowing more complex shapes and the freezing option.
Truthfully, it is a insanely good spell even without providing insta-cover.