PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting a chance to playtest my revised artificer

Greywander
2021-03-05, 11:10 PM
First, I'm finally getting a chance to actually play again. Second, the DM has tentatively allowed me to use my revised artificer homebrew (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612360-Revised-Artificer-Spell-Storing-Item-replaces-Spellcasting). He's also allowing everyone to get a free feat at 1st level. We'll be running Dragon Heist, if that matters (no spoilers please).

I think I'm going to go with a Mark of Hospitality halfling (mostly for free Presti), and take Bountiful Luck as my free feat. I'm building a support character, so this makes sense. At 3rd level, I plan to take the Artillerist subclass, mostly for the protector turret (Fireball doesn't hurt, either).

Using Tasha's rules, I can get a stat spread of 8, 14, 14, 17, 12, 10. At 4th level, I'll take Fey Touched, and then max out INT at 8th level.

I'm debating which skills and tool proficiencies to take. So far, the only other party member that's been discussed is a bladesinger with the Investigator background. We've already decided to refluff the Waterdhavian Noble background (from SCAG) as a "sponsored artisan" with a "patronage" feature, basically the same benefit as Kept in Style, but otherwise I'm customizing proficiencies and equipment. I'll probably want the forgery kit and/or disguise kit, but artificer also gives me a free artisan tool.

With my revised artificer, I can also create spell-storing items right at 1st level (this is how I cast my spells). Aside from my personal spell-storing tool which only I can use, I can also create two spell-storing items. Right now, I can only put cantrips in them, and they only have enough charge for a single use. At 3rd level, I can start handing out 1st level spells. For now, though, which cantrips would be the best to share? Damage cantrips don't really make sense, except maybe BB/GFB for melee characters (perhaps also Create Bonfire for someone who doesn't need to concentrate on anything else). Utility cantrips like Light or Mage Hand could be useful. And of course there's always Guidance. It would need to be something that I wouldn't want to just cast myself, though.

Hmm, am I forgetting anything else? I think that's it so far.

king_steve
2021-03-06, 04:43 PM
Well, from the sounds of the linked doc, if you take 1 level of wizard you can give familiars to everyone in your party. The revised Spell-Storing Item (rSSI) description says "Alternatively, you may choose a spell you know or can prepare from another class.". You'd probably need to be Artificer 3 Wizard 1, so I guess that's not the end of the world (Unless you took Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster?). This sounds a little broken to me, I'd probably remove that line personally or make it restricted to the Spell Storing Tool instead.

Artificers are ritual casters by default but I don't see Ritual Caster in the revised doc, how would ritual casting work with a rSSI? Or maybe the Spell Storing Tool should allow ritual casting?

Xanathar's has a lot of uses for tools, so hopefully the DM is using those. Artificers can get Disguise Self as a spell, so I'd think proficiency with the Disguise Kit is somewhat less valuable as a result.

For cantrips for your rSSI's, I think Magic Stone is a good choice for a dmg cantrip that is efficient with the charges and I agree on Create Bonfire being a useful second option. Message is great if you've got someone scouting ahead.

Also on the free Prestidigitation, well Magical Tinkering is pretty similar in effect. You are imbuing the effect into an object, but the effects overlap a good bit. Are there any other sub races you were considering?

Greywander
2021-03-06, 04:58 PM
Well, from the sounds of the linked doc, if you take 1 level of wizard you can give familiars to everyone in your party.
IIRC, you can already do this using one of the item infusions (spellwrought tatoo, I believe).

This sounds a little broken to me, I'd probably remove that line personally or make it restricted to the Spell Storing Tool instead.
Maybe, I don't know. We'll see how it holds up during play, but I'm not planning to multiclass so we might not get to really stress test that aspect. Keep in mind, though, that your spell storing items have pretty limited charges, so you'd need to put enough levels into artificer before you could share a spell. Artificers are also half casters, so even without multiclassing you're generally only sharing spells long after the full casters have had access to them.

Artificers are ritual casters by default but I don't see Ritual Caster in the revised doc, how would ritual casting work with a rSSI? Or maybe the Spell Storing Tool should allow ritual casting?
In my original write up, I forgot about ritual casting entirely. After that, I wasn't sure if I should give it to them or not. We'll see how it goes during play; if it's feeling on the weaker side then I might add it back in. It could either be attached only to the spell-storing tool or else spell-storing items work but can only be used for rituals by the artificer.

Xanathar's has a lot of uses for tools, so hopefully the DM is using those. Artificers can get Disguise Self as a spell, so I'd think proficiency with the Disguise Kit is somewhat less valuable as a result.
Alternatively, the disguise kit makes Disguise Self less useful. Of course, why not both? I might grab the herbalism kit instead, though.

For cantrips for your rSSI's, I think Magic Stone is a good choice for a dmg cantrip that is efficient with the charges and I agree on Create Bonfire being a useful second option. Message is great if you've got someone scouting ahead.
I forgot about Magic Stone. We'll see if anyone can use it. In fact, it might make a decent damage cantrip for myself before I get my turrets.

Are there any other sub races you were considering?
Not really. Maybe stout, or mark of healing. Halfling subraces don't really give much of interest, especially for an artificer. I'm mostly just playing a halfling to get Bountiful Luck, which is nice for someone in the party to have.

Also, some of the other players have chimed in with possible builds. In addition to my Artillerist artificer and the Bladesinger wizard, it sounds like we'll have a Moon druid, Conquest paladin, and a bard (subclass undecided).

king_steve
2021-03-06, 05:29 PM
IIRC, you can already do this using one of the item infusions (spellwrought tatoo, I believe).
Ah, right, I forgot about the tattoos being common items.

In my original write up, I forgot about ritual casting entirely. After that, I wasn't sure if I should give it to them or not. We'll see how it goes during play; if it's feeling on the weaker side then I might add it back in. It could either be attached only to the spell-storing tool or else spell-storing items work but can only be used for rituals by the artificer.

Having access to a few rituals can help stretch your spells lots. There is an Artillerist in my camping a the moment (gone from 1 to 10 currently) and they spend most their first level slots on making their Cannon. It lasts an hour but after a short rest you'll need to re-summon it if your worried about having it ready for an encounter or you'll need to spend the first round of combat summoning it. Cantrips and Rituals really help out since, depending on your subclass, you won't always be attacking. At lvl 10, most combats involve finding a good concentration spells appropriate to the counter and then fire bolt and eldritch cannon bonus action. Having the ability to drop a fireball once every few encounters really helps as well.

I think the only spells I've seen them ritual cast are Identify and Detect Magic, so your mileage may vary on that.

Alternatively, the disguise kit makes Disguise Self less useful. Of course, why not both? I might grab the herbalism kit instead, though.

Thats true, but I'd also lean into what feels right for the character. Having proficiency with a disguise kit can save you spells lots and being a half caster (sorta) you might run out of spell slots (or rSSI/SST charges).

Not really. Maybe stout, or mark of healing. Halfling subraces don't really give much of interest, especially for an artificer. I'm mostly just playing a halfling to get Bountiful Luck, which is nice for someone in the party to have.

Is Lotusden from Explorers Guide to Wildemount an option? But really, I'd just say go for what appeals to you most.