PDA

View Full Version : Vaarsuvius's Quest for Ultimate Arcane Power [Yeah, it contains spoilers]

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-09, 07:19 AM
I was going to say, "Will Vaarsuvius become a Lich?" but that's the part I wanted to spoilerize.

Both V and Xykon wanted to possess ultimate arcane power, so it's not out of the realms of possibilities. Just very unlikely. But V's "four right words to the right person for all the wrong reasons" might be:

"Make me a lich;" said to Redcloak.

Or possibly, "Here. Use this Doily," when Redcloak asks for a phylactery object.

What can I say? The red rings under V's eyes really creeped me out.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-09, 07:27 AM
I think Xykon only became a Lich due to there being no real alternative for him at the time (admittedly, he probably would have agreed to it if the situation wasn't so critical due to the other features Liches get).

Moral Wiz
2007-11-09, 07:43 AM
Nothing ever said that the 4 words had to immedietly lead to power, right? If not, V may already have spoken them, this strip. This could lead to a power grab. Not nessecarily Lich though (That dosn't really scream "ultimate" to me)

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-09, 07:55 AM
Also, it seems as though V took Necromancy as a barred school due to the 3.5 Update, so the probably never had much of an interest in that area of magic.

Stumblina
2007-11-09, 08:23 AM
Perhaps these "four words" will be the driving force/incentive for V to reach "ultimate arcane power"?

Two questions tho:

1. Does the "blocking" effect only work if Hailey is still in Azure City itself after all this time?

2. Is it possible V is having so many issues because the wording is wrong? Hailey is probably on the run... perhaps she changed her name? Would that cause V's spell to fail?

Spiryt
2007-11-09, 08:23 AM
Dunno about Lich, but I really think that V will become evil. Even this strips gives me such feeling.
I mean, she/he seems really obsessed with this "ultimate power" cliche

Wiseman
2007-11-09, 08:24 AM
yes, vaarsuvius will get the ultimate arcane power if he's (i thing that's a boy) become a lich, because the liche are inmortal and he can study all the life and don't look so.. tire.

But the reason of xyon isn't the same because he is a SORRCERER and that clase don't learn more spell like the wizard (by study).

EDIT: and the lich's don't need to be evil every, there are some lich's NG or LG

Elfanatic
2007-11-09, 09:05 AM
I don't think that V's quest will force him/her to become evil. Yes, Vaarsuvius will probably have to do some questionable things to attain ultimate arcane power, but I think he will become more like Mother Nature: neither truly evil or good, simply neutral.

@ Wiseman

By the twelve gods, you're grammar is horrible! Xyon?!

Kreistor
2007-11-09, 09:07 AM
It occurs to me that "Show me Haley Starshine" contains exactly four words.

Hmmm...

BobTheDog
2007-11-09, 09:12 AM

Hmmm...

I was thinking the exact same things. Didn't seem to work, though. Perhaps it needs adjustment, as in "Show me Belkar Bitterleaf?" or "Where is the halfling?" or "What is going on?" :smallbiggrin:

Moral Wiz
2007-11-09, 11:40 AM
No one said that the 4 words would be a flip the switch kind of thing. It was those words that might, in a way, be the cause of V going after even more power. Her failure on this spell might be the driving force in a long quest for arcane improvment.

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-09, 11:48 AM
Personally I've always been a bit worried about V's sustained goodness ever since s/he took the powerful golden ring cut from the charred finger of a slain BBEG.

2007-11-09, 11:57 AM
I feel sorry for V in this strip.

Never seen it this emotional before, except maybe when it was a lizard. I doubt something that feels as bad as it does about failing it's friends could ever become evil.

jamroar
2007-11-09, 12:09 PM

Hmmm...

I don't think so. For one thing, s(he) is not addressing any specific being while casting the spell, and the words are not being spoken for any misguided reason.

Moral Wiz
2007-11-09, 12:29 PM
I don't think so. For one thing, s(he) is not addressing any specific being while casting the spell, and the words are not being spoken for any misguided reason.

The first one, I grant you, is not easy to crack, but the second?!

She isn't saying them so as to find her friends, she's saying them mostly because she's feeling inferior, and want's to feal that her magtic is still powerfull. Sounds prety misguided to me.

The first though, calls for exact wording. Back after an archive search.

Wolfman42666
2007-11-09, 12:35 PM
I don't think V'll become evil, it's doing this to itself out of noble pursiut, not because V want's ultimate power, but because V wants her friends back, V's motivations seem to be guilt and "i need to save my friends" not I need protection if i am to become ultimatley powerful

Firestar27
2007-11-09, 12:50 PM
The first one, I grant you, is not easy to crack, but the second?!

She isn't saying them so as to find her friends, she's saying them mostly because she's feeling inferior, and want's to feal that her magtic is still powerfull. Sounds prety misguided to me.

The first though, calls for exact wording. Back after an archive search.

Actually, s/he is a friend of Haley. So s/he would want to find Haley. Now if s/he said "Show me Belkar Bitterleaf"...

TRM
2007-11-09, 12:54 PM
I don't think V will become evil. I think he'll stay true neutral or good.
But that strip makes me wonder: are we getting a V story arc at last??

What can I say? The red rings under V's eyes really creeped me out.
I had thought that her eyes were red from crying.

MCerberus
2007-11-09, 01:01 PM
Hmm it seems as though needing more power in order to save people is a common beginning for fallen heroes and this one may have intelligent undead at the end of the tunnel.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-09, 01:11 PM
I had thought that her eyes were red from crying.

Or sleeplessness.

Hmm it seems as though needing more power in order to save people is a common beginning for fallen heroes and this one may have intelligent undead at the end of the tunnel.

It may, but I'd be surprised if it did. Elves live a LONG time as it is remember?

MCerberus
2007-11-09, 01:16 PM
It may, but I'd be surprised if it did. Elves live a LONG time as it is remember?

yes but the motivation is not "cheat death live forever" it's "give me power to help me save my friends". As much as it hurts me to mention a Star Wars 1-3(and I'm spoilering it in case anyone hasn't seen it)

it would be akin to Anakin turning dark to save Padme from death.

The_Cardinal
2007-11-09, 01:17 PM
@ Wiseman

Go easy on him. Wiseman is from France. I dare say his english is better than your french :smalltongue:

Moral Wiz
2007-11-09, 02:14 PM
Actually, s/he is a friend of Haley. So s/he would want to find Haley. Now if s/he said "Show me Belkar Bitterleaf"...

we'd be worried. ;p

But this is worrying. Yes, V is Haley's friend, and that is not mentioned. V is only talking about power, not about "the power of friendship" . It's refered to in passing, but V could just have easily justifed her action by refering to her friendship with Haley. That's what's interesting here.

headhoncho
2007-11-09, 03:03 PM
Personally I've always been a bit worried about V's sustained goodness ever since s/he took the powerful golden ring cut from the charred finger of a slain BBEG.

I am totally blanking, where is that strip again?

HH

Kish
2007-11-09, 03:08 PM
I am totally blanking, where is that strip again?

HH

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html

VanBuren
2007-11-09, 03:13 PM
But keep in mind what makes V upset about not having the power. It was because with the power, V might have been able to do more and possibly save the lives of some of the soldiers.

SadisticFishing
2007-11-09, 03:18 PM
Damn I feel out of the loop. What about four words?

sihnfahl
2007-11-09, 03:28 PM
Damn I feel out of the loop. What about four words?

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)

V: How will I achieve complete and total ultimate arcane power?

Oracle: By saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons.

Moral Wiz
2007-11-09, 03:28 PM
VanBuren; (Fallout fan?)Is it? That's an example of why V dosn't think she has enough power, but it isn't perticularly said that's why she want's more.

But, this is foggy ground, so I'll conceed, for the sake of argument that at this point, V is relitivly altruistic. However, an obsession with power, for whatever reason, can be a motivator for evil. It won't be immediete if so, but it has just become a very real possibility. There were theories of V going dark before, but they've just gained a hell of a lot of ground for being a possibility IMO.

@sadistic fishing; "Show me Haley Starshine!" could be a triger for V's prophisized ultimate arcane power.

sihnfahl
2007-11-09, 03:30 PM
@sadistic fishing; "Show me Haley Starshine!" could be a triger for V's prophisized ultimate arcane power.
But doubtful.

A scry spell hardly qualifies as a being. And V's doing it for the right reason (to find Haley), not the wrong reason.

Murderous Hobo
2007-11-09, 03:35 PM
I don't see what's wrong with "Grant me great power".

The important bit is that it's being said to a being with the abbility and will to grant those powers. Which limits things to the demonic.

It's not in there.

Moral Wiz
2007-11-09, 03:38 PM
But why is she trying to find Haley? That's the interesting question.

There's a good case that it's as much about proving V's arcane abilities as helping her friend at this point. Granted, it is to some degree about helping Haley, but V's monologe focused more on her own short-commings that the power of friendship.

The "being" part, I admit, is the weak point. If it is true, it's probably a strech that I can't see. (Hells, V's spell might be sentient; it's a custom spell, and was arround before she actually cast it, so we don't know) But it's an interesting point still, and might be the thing that leads to V's gaining Ultimate arcane power.

Spiryt
2007-11-09, 03:47 PM

V - Gollum! That will be unbeatable!

Can somebody draw it on InkScape/Adobe ?

sihnfahl
2007-11-09, 03:49 PM
But why is she trying to find Haley? That's the interesting question.
Multiple, really. You pointed out two.

Proving V's arcane abilities? Yes... stretch it a bit further, though. What's another thing V beat him/herself up about his/her arcane power limits? That he/she wasted time by playing pranks on Belkar, not studying and accumulating power.

Help Haley? Definitely. The two have been friendly from the start (although V has taken issue with Haley's direct and physical responses to instances where V would have preferred to think things through). And since H and V had been sharing rooms in Inns, H definitely trusts V.

But, by helping Haley, V also helps Roy; remember, V knows that H went to get Roy and would most likely have succeeded. V seems to hold our good ol' Roy in high esteem. By helping Haley, V ensures Roy's return.

The "being" part, I admit, is the weak point. If it is true, it's probably a strech that I can't see. (Hells, V's spell might be sentient; it's a custom spell, and was arround before she actually cast it, so we don't know) But it's an interesting point still, and might be the thing that leads to V's gaining Ultimate arcane power.
The glowy purple square was the Development Environment. :) V just had to compile... *cough*

Moral Wiz
2007-11-09, 04:02 PM
Multiple, really. You pointed out two.

Proving V's arcane abilities? Yes... stretch it a bit further, though. What's another thing V beat him/herself up about his/her arcane power limits? That he/she wasted time by playing pranks on Belkar, not studying and accumulating power.

... And that's a reason that she's going on and on? Because she wasted time she could studying, setting traps for Belkar? No, that's too trivial (especially for the normally composed V) It'd be a frustration, but not enough to drive her to this degree...

Alone. When taken with the inferiority idea, the fact that V needs ANY rationalisation for why her spells wern't as good as she thought they would be at AC. Seriously; how much time did V sacrifice by annoying Belkar? Next to none. How much power could V acheive in that time? By core rules, I can't see what she was suposed to do.

Help Haley? Definitely. The two have been friendly from the start (although V has taken issue with Haley's direct and physical responses to instances where V would have preferred to think things through). And since H and V had been sharing rooms in Inns, H definitely trusts V.

Yeah, I agree here. V and H get along, and I'll admit this is a motivator. But, judging on V's speach, I don't think it was the only one (and NOT the reason that V's become this obsessed over the issue. V's calm, and not even a threat to a friend has thus far caused her to become this obsessive).

But, by helping Haley, V also helps Roy; remember, V knows that H went to get Roy and would most likely have succeeded. V seems to hold our good ol' Roy in high esteem. By helping Haley, V ensures Roy's return.
Only cos (OotPCs spoiler) Roy managed to out fancy talk V at one point Not really a major reason.

The glowy purple square was the Development Environment. :) V just had to compile... *cough* Heh.

Kreistor
2007-11-09, 04:08 PM

Oh, I agree. I don't think these were the four words, but...

Too many theories about V's acquisition of ultimate power rely on the obvious. If it were obvious, then all wizards would gain access to that power.

The four words will be subtle and probably won't even be noticed until too late.

Shpadoinkle
2007-11-09, 04:40 PM

Xykon was dead (or at least they all thought he was). HE sure as the nine hells wasn't going to be using it. What were they supposed to do, leave it laying around for some other BBEG to pick up and use against them or some other party of heroes?

But V's "four right words to the right person for all the wrong reasons"

Can't say I remember this. Link anyone?

Lira
2007-11-09, 04:47 PM
Can't say I remember this. Link anyone?
You don't remember 331 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)?

Glass Mouse
2007-11-09, 04:54 PM
@ Wiseman

Elfanatic, please:
1) When pointing out grammar errors, don't point out a typo.
and 2) When correcting someone else's grammar, don't make a grammar mistake yourself. That's just... y'know... stupid.

It's all fair and good to point out mistakes (I'm a grammar ninja myself in my first language), just do it nicely and correctly :smallsmile:

Shpadoinkle
2007-11-09, 05:10 PM
You don't remember 331 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)?

Ah. Thank you. And yes, I remembered the oracle mini-arc, but I looked and couldn't find it.

Sgilti
2007-11-09, 05:54 PM
I apologize in advance for the horrible image I'm about to burn into everyone's mind, as well as de-railing topic ever-so-slightly. Anyway, I have to look back at the "Four right words to the right person for all the wrong reasons" and think of who of the established cast V could say something to with such dramatic consequences. And when I do, I keep getting flashes of V's prank war with Belkar in his/her attempt of getting taken off the "Lust" list.

So this scenario comes to mind: In another dungeon (perhaps Girard's gate?) V discovers that coincidentally located there is some artifact of ultimate power. Now with a recently united team (my guess, not based on fact), Belkar has been acting a bit too... fond of the elf (I still wonder at Belkar's words, thinking that V is tricking him, after the boat leaves). The temptation to obtain this artifact proves too much for V and she (I'm assuming "she" in this scenario), convinces Belkar to aid her in getting the artifact with the four words, "Belkar, I love you."

With these words, Belkar has an emotional catharsis and agrees, but the deadly traps are too much for our favorite sociopathic hafling and not even ash remains in the end. The trauma changes V forever pushing her to seek power to correct her mistake that leads to the achievement of her goal.

T-O-E
2007-11-09, 06:14 PM
Perhaps...
"I am a male/female". 4 words.

DLoFunk
2007-11-09, 07:11 PM
Hmm, feeling inferior and powerless to save someone? A quest for ultimate power in the name of saving a companion? This path possibly leading to evil deeds in the name of said goal? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here seeing an Anakin storyline in the works.:smallconfused: