PDA

View Full Version : Building a Caster Cleric for Castle Ravenloft

Delta_tea
2021-03-07, 02:48 AM
Hello again hive mind! So my party is adventuring through Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. We're all around level 6 at this point. I'm playing a LN Aasimar, Lesser Cloistered Cleric. The party is very heavy melee, so I'm trying to focus more on being a caster. Plus CC tends to have low HP anyways. I'm looking for some ideas on level progression. Honestly, Cleric level progress feels boring. I've saved the party many times by Rebuke undead in the campaign, but the really scary stuff is way outside of what I can effect (God I hate swarms, we're almost to the Church boss). So it feels like there's really no point in putting more levels into it. Plus, my DM seems set on not letting me actually land a Control through Rebuke. Basically, as soon as my Rebukes are high enough, he's already pushed the CR of the undead up so it doesn't matter for Control. So I'm shopping for options. Spell progression is very important to me while turning seems like its at the limit of effectiveness and its essentially becoming fuel for DMM Persist. Also, if anyone knows a way to pick up Fiery Burst feat (or if there's other things like) it sounds kind of useful. No ammo, no resources, does magic damage at ranged. Would fit well with my stand back and cast mindset. Rumor is, these characters will continue after Ravenloft is complete so endgame thinking is a good thing.

Dweomerkeeper
Seems amazing. I also like the idea of potentially using Supernatural Spell to craft items without gold or experience cost. At least I think it can do that. Combine with Unseen Crafter spell to start making things. We have been gold and item starved this whole campaign so far. Plus, I already have the correct Goddess. However, I don't have a feat slot open to take Magical Training as pre-req. My DM will allow me to use Substitute Domain spell (level 2) to change my domains to Spell and Magic (for a week per cast). Then once I have Spell domain, cast Anyspell (level 3 spell) when I prep spells to have one arcane spell ready to cast, which would allow the PRC to be active. But I need to hold that arcane spell to keep the PRC reqs met. So I'll end up burning 4 spell slots, plus run the risk of someone dispelling me, which again removes the PRC since it would remove Substitute Domain making Magic Domain go away which is a requirement. Also, my DM won't let me count arcane spells from my domain lists to count toward the requirements. Yes, I took the domain spontaneous casting feature.

Bone Knight
Delays the initial caster level which is a painful thought but normal progression after that. Armor which I don't know if it can be upgraded later. More minion-mancy which players at my table hate. They don't like all of the extra dice rolls. Really bad Will and Reflex saves. Eventually, lots of very nice immunities, bigger HD, Rebuke keeps advancing, get martial weapons and tower shield. Seems like nice free stuff, I just don't know how much of it would be useful since I'm typically not in melee.

Divine Disciple (not available until level 7)
I'm of two thoughts with this PRC. One, I get a free domain, so maybe I can pick up Magic domain which would make Dweomerkeeper more feasible since a Dispell Magic won't be a concern. The other thought is that if I stick it out for 5 levels, with Transcendence my character can become a full Aasimar by being a full Outsider. Which gives all martial weapons, shields, and don't need to eat or sleep. It also give me access to Outsiders with Summon Monster cheese. I could also work on advancing down the Aasimar/Half-Celestial Transition Class for lots of sweet stuff at some point.

Contemplative (not available until level 10)
If used in combination with Divine Disciple, not much point in getting the 10th level since DD makes you an Outsider. Basically 5 maybe 6 levels in Contemplative seem useful, the rest won't do much. No Rebuke advancement.

Any other PRC that I should consider? My DM is strongly enforcing alignment requirements. He's already said no to Radiant Servant of Pelor unless I roll another character because of alignment differences (neutral good).

Thanks!

Khedrac
2021-03-07, 03:10 AM
Sacred Exorcist. The continuous sanctify effect can be awesome.

Delta_tea
2021-03-07, 03:24 AM
Sacred Exorcist. The continuous sanctify effect can be awesome.

Can't because it requires "any good" alignment. The DM is sticking hard to the alignments.

Psyren
2021-03-07, 03:43 AM
Honestly, you don't need to PrC, and given that you're already level 6 it'd be tricky to get the prerequisites for one that you're not already aiming for anyway. Your bigger problem seems to be lack of useful spells - what sources are you allowed to use? Swarms should not be bugging (heh) a level 6 caster cleric.

Asmotherion
2021-03-07, 03:56 AM
The most viable cleric options I can think of for Ravenloft is "Cleric with no Deity", as Ideals are not cut off from Ravenloft (though some may be diminished).

Then, there's the Ur-Priest prestige who, by definition, does not Pray to Deities for power, rather than just "takes what he wants". It also depends on if your DM wants you to be one, as you need training from an existing Ur-Priest. I wouldn't count on that though, this Prestige is very much Broken.

Delta_tea
2021-03-07, 04:47 AM
Honestly, you don't need to PrC, and given that you're already level 6 it'd be tricky to get the prerequisites for one that you're not already aiming for anyway. Your bigger problem seems to be lack of useful spells - what sources are you allowed to use? Swarms should not be bugging (heh) a level 6 caster cleric.

All books and Dragon magazine. Its really open, I just don't seem to have anything really offensive in nature like a Druid's Call Lightning.

Anthrowhale
2021-03-07, 10:42 AM
I'd suggest dabbling in persistomancy. For reliable offensive work, persistent darkfire is good, particularly if you can get a lesser rod of maximize. Shivering Touch is another great thing to use the lesser rod on.

Of the options mentioned, Dweomerkeeper seems the most compelling. Even if substitute domain is dispelled, you can just cast it again, right? And eventually you can get the magic domain on a permanent basis via Contemplative 1.

I'm not quite following the discussion of 4 spell slots---when you cast anyspell, you memorize an arcane L2- spell in your L3 domain slot. That memorized spell is not dispellable. More generally, the requirement for Dweomerkeeper entry is:
Ability to cast arcane and divine spells. The precise definition of "ability to cast" is unclear, but it seems rather strict to say it means ability to cast in any individual round. What happens if your run out of daily spells? What if you are in an antimagic field? Ability to cast with a few minutes warning and ability to cast with a day's rest seem like much more reasonable interpretations.

Amongst other prestige classes, Divine Oracle, Church Inquisitor, and Paragnostic Apostle are all relatively easy to enter and have useful features.

Delta_tea
2021-03-07, 01:42 PM
I'd suggest dabbling in persistomancy. For reliable offensive work, persistent darkfire is good, particularly if you can get a lesser rod of maximize. Shivering Touch is another great thing to use the lesser rod on.

Of the options mentioned, Dweomerkeeper seems the most compelling. Even if substitute domain is dispelled, you can just cast it again, right? And eventually you can get the magic domain on a permanent basis via Contemplative 1.

I'm not quite following the discussion of 4 spell slots---when you cast anyspell, you memorize an arcane L2- spell in your L3 domain slot. That memorized spell is not dispellable. More generally, the requirement for Dweomerkeeper entry is: The precise definition of "ability to cast" is unclear, but it seems rather strict to say it means ability to cast in any individual round. What happens if your run out of daily spells? What if you are in an antimagic field? Ability to cast with a few minutes warning and ability to cast with a day's rest seem like much more reasonable interpretations.

Amongst other prestige classes, Divine Oracle, Church Inquisitor, and Paragnostic Apostle are all relatively easy to enter and have useful features.

That's a good idea for Darkfire, I never thought of persisting it. I'll have to wait on the lesser rod of maximize as its listed price at 14k gold is beyond my means at this point. Plus, when I hit level 7 and persist Divine Power, with full BAB I get to throw 2 Darkflames a turn, along with its damage going up because of access to 4th level spells. So 1d6 per turn at level 6 because 2d6+2d6 per turn at level 7! Silly question, any ideas how to get to the 5d6 per attack max in Darkfire description? I thought 9th level spells was the ceiling which would only give 4d6 per attack?

Part of the problem with recasting is that I can't spontaneously cast Substitute Domain, so I need to prep it in a spell slot in the morning so that I can use it. So if I do get dispelled, I need a scroll or something to recast it or just get a PRC that gives another domain and make Magic domain permanent. Your right about Anyspell, once I store a spell, its there for the rest of the day regardless of dispell. The dispell just exploits losing Magic domain which is a requirement for the PRC.

Divine Oracle
I really don't understand why this is considered to be a good PRC? Is it because of Prescient Sense? As a typical Cleric I have 0 Dex mod so uncanny dodge does nothing for me.

Church Inquisitor
Detect evil at will sounds like a really nice ability. Pierce illusion will probably be helpful at some point. The rest of the PRC doesn't seem that useful. What am I missing?

Paragnostic Apostle
I actually tried to use this one with the DM a couple of weeks ago. He said no because it wouldn't be possible to find the Paragnostic Assembly in this campaign to sign up. On the flip side, Lore wouldn't help because CC already gets Lore.

Psyren
2021-03-07, 02:40 PM
I don't know what CR swarms you're facing, but Sound Burst is a decent low level option. In addition to preparing it, you can get it on a wand or a few scrolls fairly cheaply.

You're also one level off from Repel Vermin. As long as the party stays close, you can waltz right past them and then close the door behind you.

Anthrowhale
2021-03-07, 03:03 PM
So 1d6 per turn at level 6 because 2d6+2d6 per turn at level 7!

It's 1d6 per caster level (not spell level), so 3d6 at caster level 6 and 3d6 twice once you persist divine power.

...I need a scroll or something to recast it ...

A scroll is a good idea.

I really don't understand why this is considered to be a good PRC? Is it because of Prescient Sense? As a typical Cleric I have 0 Dex mod so uncanny dodge does nothing for me.

Prescient is good. Clerics can always get a reflex save though spells. Immune to Surprise is potentially great. The prereq could potentially be satisfied for "free" by the Frog God's Fane.

Church Inquisitor
Detect evil at will sounds like a really nice ability. Pierce illusion will probably be helpful at some point. The rest of the PRC doesn't seem that useful. What am I missing?

The inquisition domain ability gives +4 to dispel checks.

Delta_tea
2021-03-07, 10:29 PM
I don't know what CR swarms you're facing, but Sound Burst is a decent low level option. In addition to preparing it, you can get it on a wand or a few scrolls fairly cheaply.

You're also one level off from Repel Vermin. As long as the party stays close, you can waltz right past them and then close the door behind you.

Bone Rat Swarm and Corpse Rat Swarm so far. There's probably been a third type but I wasn't paying much attention. I don't have a magic weapon so I'm trying to buff others while staying out of the effected damage areas. I'm liking the idea of Darkfire persist idea, so I'll probably try that.

It's 1d6 per caster level (not spell level), so 3d6 at caster level 6 and 3d6 twice once you persist divine power.

OMG that makes this spell a lot better at mid-levels! Plus, I'm fairly sure it can work with Haste for yet another attack each round. Provided it hits, seems stronger than Fiery Blast.

Prescient is good. Clerics can always get a reflex save though spells. Immune to Surprise is potentially great. The prereq could potentially be satisfied for "free" by the Frog God's Fane.

Thanks for pointing out Frog God's Fane. I didn't know about all of these feat that are available for a little gold. Knowledge Religion is really important in general for this campaign plus it synergies nicely with my Knowledge Devotion.

The inquisition domain ability gives +4 to dispel checks.
Agree, I just need to to figure out if I can take one level of CI some where. Plus Detect Evil at will is really nice.

Anthrowhale
2021-03-07, 10:51 PM
A couple other possibilities:

Persistent Mass Lesser vigor = infinite out of combat healing for the party.

By level 11, you could persist Sun Scepter and Divine Power, use Greater Anyspell to cast Greater Mighty Wallop on it, and amp your armor class with Greater Luminous Armor. You would be an extremely unstealthy melee powerhouse against undead.