PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Casting Replacements?

mrcarter11
2021-03-07, 05:58 AM
I was never a big fan of the normal casting in place for arcane/divine casting. I was wondering if folks could point me in the direction of any replacement systems that have been brewed in the past 4-6 years. I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm hoping something interesting will turn up.

Morphic tide
2021-03-07, 04:58 PM
It's actually like 20 years for 3rd edition D&D, so there's doubtlessly something fitting your desires remarkably closely. The question is what those desires are; what's the problem you have with the way the base game handles spellcasting? A common suggestion is using the Spheres of Power (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/) caster equivalent, which works to reduce the rather strange flexibility of spellcasters by making them spend resources on breadth, gives them solid at-will abilities but keeps a daily restriction on serious throughput, and one largely needs to spend resources on scaling rather than it being automatic. Answers all the common complaints, but may not be the right answer for you, and it's also Pathfinder based so there's a bit of conversion work.