PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A table-top drinking game?

cloneof
2021-03-07, 04:49 PM
I have become recently interested in setting up a TTRPG game with a group of my friends in a more casual tone.

A lot of versions of "drinking game D&D" that I have seen involve punishing players by making them drink for fumbling in one way or another. What I would like to brainstorm a little bit would be a set of rules that would encourage players to strategize and have drinking game where taking a drink would involve a benefit.

In order to do this, I would start by taking a rules-light version of something like 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons and have players go through a simple dungeon crawl set-up using starting level characters with house rules to the consistency of:

* If a fighter manages to land a hit and is in a range of another opponent, he can make another attack by taking a sip of his drink.

* All of wizards spells have unlimited uses. Outside of cantrips, the use of a spell requires a drink relative to the level of the cast spell (up to time stop, which would require the drinking of a whole can). In order to balance this I would give a pre-made list of available spells.

* When a rogue makes a skill check, he can make an automatic re-roll by taking a sip of their drink.

Would anyone have other suggestions or ideas to "balance out" a game like this? The idea would be to start with the lightest starting rule-set possible, considering that a lot of players haven't even played a lot of RPG's, so 5th edition itself could be optional.

cloneof
2021-03-08, 03:18 PM
It appears I am clearly treading on new ground with these ideas.

Therefore, expect a new e-book to hit the DriveThroughRPG, Dungeons & Drinking Problems, available both as a PDF and paperback in a year or two.

Damon_Tor
2021-03-08, 05:52 PM
I have become recently interested in setting up a TTRPG game with a group of my friends in a more casual tone.

A lot of versions of "drinking game D&D" that I have seen involve punishing players by making them drink for fumbling in one way or another. What I would like to brainstorm a little bit would be a set of rules that would encourage players to strategize and have drinking game where taking a drink would involve a benefit.

In order to do this, I would start by taking a rules-light version of something like 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons and have players go through a simple dungeon crawl set-up using starting level characters with house rules to the consistency of:

* If a fighter manages to land a hit and is in a range of another opponent, he can make another attack by taking a sip of his drink.

* All of wizards spells have unlimited uses. Outside of cantrips, the use of a spell requires a drink relative to the level of the cast spell (up to time stop, which would require the drinking of a whole can). In order to balance this I would give a pre-made list of available spells.

* When a rogue makes a skill check, he can make an automatic re-roll by taking a sip of their drink.

Would anyone have other suggestions or ideas to "balance out" a game like this? The idea would be to start with the lightest starting rule-set possible, considering that a lot of players haven't even played a lot of RPG's, so 5th edition itself could be optional.

Have drinking allow for the recovery of limited resources. So the wizard/sorcerer/warlock whatever can take a shot instead of expending a spell slot. Extra action surges for fighters or rages for barbarians, ki for monks, etc.

cloneof
2021-03-10, 06:14 AM
Have drinking allow for the recovery of limited resources. So the wizard/sorcerer/warlock whatever can take a shot instead of expending a spell slot. Extra action surges for fighters or rages for barbarians, ki for monks, etc.

Hmm... Thanks for the idea!

Nifft
2021-03-10, 01:26 PM
5e has Inspiration, so just add spirits: when you use Inspiration, take a drink.

When you take a Short Rest, everyone drinks once and you go around the table each talking about something in particular (different thing for each Short Rest).

When you MUST succeed on a saving throw (including death saves), take a drink and succeed.